Anyone here have digital camera knowledge?

I've decided that it's time to buy a nice digital SLR when my income tax return hits my bank account, but I don't have a lot of experience with them. As of now, I think I'm going with the Nikon D60, which is 10.2 megapixel and only $750 for the kit at Best Buy, but I'd also like to hear opinions from anyone who knows more about this stuff than I do. One of the big reasons I'm leaning toward the Nikon over Canon is the build quality; the Nikons are a little more heavy-duty and feel more durable, whereas the Canon DSLRs that I've looked at feel kinda cheap. Anyway, give me some feedback!

i got a nikon D50 about 2.5 years ago and it is rather fantastic, never had a problem what so ever.

i would like to use my old minolta 35mm SLR but since i dont have access to a dark room that is not an option.

The only thing that sucks, is that i can never afford to get a better lens and would enjoy a better flash but that shit is so expensive.

I got into digital photography briefly about 3 years back. Then I got myself a brand new Canon 20D and it was a good camera but I hated digital photography so I sold it. I can't be much help for cameras, sorry. If you want information on rangefinders, Leicas, or medium format cameras I'm your man!

However, I highly recommend you check out www.bhphotovideo.com- Their prices were always better than Best Buy and they're totally legit. They're a HUGE brick and mortar store in NY and have been in business for decades. I've bought thousands of bucks worth of gear there (cameras, iPods, photo printers, etc) and have NEVER had an issue with them. Check them out.

canons are actually built a lot better. the digic III processor should be reason enough to get one. canon builds them just for the cameras unlike nikon other companies who just use off the shelf processors (sony actually buys a lot of components for their cameras from canon). the canons also have a larger f-ring which will allow for more compatability when new technology comes out.

unfortunately the down side to slrs (money wise) is that you are paying a couple hundred for the body, but the lenses are where its at for quality and money. ive known people to have about 10 grand worth of lenses

i actually work for canon, and personally im not too familiar with slrs, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me and ill find an answer for you

I just bought my wife a Nikon D40 for her birthday in January, and she loves it. Dude at the camera store said the D40x is the best in the price range but I didn't have the extra $$$. My brother has a D80 which fits all the standard F5 lenses, but that was nearly a grand for just the body. I'd say go with Nikon

Since when are you a motherfucker?

SINCE ALWAYS, DUH. 8-)

Leica all the way baby, although, they're compacts, not DSLRs

Yeah, and they're only like three times as much as the ones I'm looking at. I wish I could afford one though, they're suuuuper nice.

Okay, so right now it's down to either the Nikon D40 or a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi. One of the drawbacks of the D40 is the lack of ISO 100, but it still gets shining reviews. Feedback on these two specifically?

I've had my d70 for 2 or 3 years. I haven't had any problems with it but recently I think something got in the sensor and it shows up in some pics. I'll probably end up getting a d200 within the year unless I want to make a full time switch back to b+w.

My roommate has a canon xti rebel (i think) and i hate it. There isn't as many options although his camera is lesser quality than mine and one major pain in the ass is you can't change the shutter speed without holding down some button above the screen. Thankfully, nikon has 2 dials that control aperture and shutter.

One thing you need to understand... in the world of photography there are Canon people and there are Nikon people. Nobody buys both because they both make incompatible formats, so thare aren't many unbiased opinions out there. Both companies make good products and you most likely won't go wrong with either, but most people out there are going to sell you on what they own, usually because that's all they've used.

I'd do Canon, I've only ever had one, but my friend who is a pro photographer has been talking about how upset he is that he's so invested in Nikon with lenses and other equipment because of how much better Canon is. That said, the lowest priced DSLR should be plenty for any non pro. I'd invest more into accessories (lenses, flashes) if you feel like you want to spend more.

Isn't KM responsible for the Sony one? More or less at least? I know all the old KM lenses fit on it.

Sony bought Konica Minolta and used Minolta's lens mount and camera systems for their new Sony Alpha line.

I did not know this. All I know is my digital camera -- a KM DiMAGE Z2 -- is the toughest little thing out there. It has gone through hell and back and still consistently gives me good pictures. And I still have no idea how to use it properly, four years later.