Music and influence.

So I've always been fascinated with other music fans and their ideas of influence. I once had a conversation with a friend who was irritated by the fact that I was a big fan of ska yet nothing but utter hatred for reggae. He would always berate me that since ska was birthed from reggae that I was somehow a hypocrite. I would always contend that influence should have no bearing on what music we enjoy. That we either like it or we don't and we if try to force ourselves to like something because "we should" that we're not being true to ourselves.

I mean, I really enjoy eating mushrooms which are cultivated in shit. That doesn't mean I like eating shit.

The idea of musical influence just seems completely hypocritical to me. Try talking to a Led Zeppelin fan for more than five minutes. Invariably they will mention how influential Led Zeppelin was and that they are the greatest band ever and every band since was influenced by them.

Now, not to dispute any of that but, who gives a fuck? Have you ever noticed that the people that say how influential certain bands are also think all new music sucks? So if these bands are so great and influential and all of the new bands they inspired suck what does that say about them?

Also, ever notice that the people who claim bands are monumentally influential have never tried to listen to the bands that were influential to their favorite band? Ask those Led Zeppelin fans how much old blues they listen to? What? NO LED ZEPPELIN IS THE ONLY THING ANYONE SHOULD EVER LISTEN TO!!

If influence is that important shouldn't we all be listening to Classical music? No wait, we need to listen to recordings of cavemen pounding on cave walls. Yeah everything that came after that was just ripping them off anyway.

Influence is fucking stupid. Listen to what you want.

/rant

I don't know that classical music influenced popular music that much at all. I don't really know though.

People are going to be into whatever they're into, and some of them are going to get really snobby about it. I prefer a "who cares" approach myself.

I think a lot of new music sucks though. And even among the music I do like, I think the standard for what constitutes really great lyrics is pretty low.

tangent, Led Zeppelin were more than influenced by certain acts when putting together a good number of their songs.

um on topic, I think having a working knowledge of what influenced your favorite music is essential to having a complete understanding of what you like, but there is no shame in not enjoying those influences as much as what lead you to them. for example, I know a guy who is a huge SOAD fan who only recently listened to Faith No More. He might not enjoy FNM as much as SOAD but it did give him some frame of reference when listening to those early SOAD albums.

I'm not sure why you're telling me this?

it was a horribly executed attempt at referencing the fact they stole a shit ton of content.

I wasn't talking about Led Zeppelin though...I was talking about classical music and it's influence on popular music (you know, blues, folk, country, r&b, rock and roll...)

I once had a conversation with a friend who was irritated by the fact that I was a big fan of ska yet nothing but utter hatred for reggae. He would always berate me that since ska was birthed from reggae that I was somehow a hypocrite.

I stopped reading right there.

You know ska predates reggae, right?

it was a horribly executed attempt at referencing the fact they stole a shit ton of content.

I wasn't talking about Led Zeppelin though...I was talking about classical music and it's influence on popular music (you know, blues, folk, country, r&b, rock and roll...)

I was completely puzzled by these 2 posts for a solid day. I came back with fresh eyes and saw your screen name. I meant "tangent" as in a tangent to the thread, not to you. Good shit.

Whats on second.