Law of attraction and hunting for vinyl

this film is a glossy crash course, but it's entertaining:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-secret/

this is the basics, but a read:

www.bthompson.net/quotationlinks/asamanthinketh.pdf

and here's a vdeo that explains it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riWF8doUrms&feature=related

it's six parts.

I came in a total skeptic in March. I earnestly tried all of these techniques. Anyway, I know it sounds absolutely crazy, but every time I really focus on finding a record, it appears somewhere within a few days.

here, check this out:

http://www.princeton.edu/~pear/

so youre teaching us how to find records were looking for? and your trick is by not looking?

Not to play devil's advocate but no that's in fact the exact opposite of what is implied. To sum them up, the general philosophy of those articles is that human consciousness can, over a period of time, have a significant effect on the outcome of a random event, in this case, finding your white whale.

no, i never said that.

The trick is to feel gratitude for having the record, even if you don't have it. That's how LoA works.

For example, in March, I found myself desperate for a job. I repeated "I'm so happy and grateful that job interviews come to me from many places through the day." A few days later I started getting 2 offers for interviews a day.

This works on everything. Just feel gratitude for already having something. In the film the secret, the "vision boards" are discussed. After years of writing it off as stupid, I put my dreams on a vision board and they are all coming true. Dream wage, working conditions, got them. I've printed out two records I really wanted and pasted them on the board. Then each were listed on eBay within 24 hours of being on the board.

Most recently I got a record that has only been listed twice in the past 12 years. I just really focused on finding it.

This works for every thing, including relationships. I like to play a game when I'm walking down the street. I say, "I'm happy and grateful that women find me attractive." It does wonders. Try it. Don't write it off for years as being hocus pokus like I did. It's the law of nature and understanding it will answer almost all spiritual questions, despite your religious background.

I say no more.

I think more than anything, the practical everyday side to a lot of this philosophy is something a lot more common and less hokey pokey than you'd think. It's really all about sitting down and visualizing where you want to be in a year, 5 years, 10, etc. and setting clear cut goals for yourself. Think of it like making a to-do list for your day, when you sit down and plan out what you want to get done, you're much more likely to get those things done than if you just say to yourself, "I'd like to be productive today".

That's fine in theory, but you still have to take some kind of action. You can't just visualize it and it's there.

Even if you "will" a record onto ebay, you still need the money to buy it and still have to ensure you're the high bidder. There are still several factors to overcome.

If you are visualizing where you want to be in five years, you have to work for it. You can't just imagine/picture it and that creates the path.

Some of this stuff makes it sound like it's magic and it doesn't mention that there is still a lot of heavy lifting involved.

You are exactly correct good sir but the implication here is that it is the very conscious effort that you exert to want something in life to happen a certain way that is the stimuli for the action that is then taken to ensure or at least make more likely that event. In other words there is no result without the action, but no action without the thought. Ergo we are a product of our thoughts, because they create actions.

Technically, it's about vinyl, so it should probably stay here.

Isn't this the same kind of stuff Oprah peddles with "The Secret" and whatnot? I don't really buy it. But, to each his own, I suppose.

I say more.

Yup. Oprah has her story here on Larry King: (3 min)

I personally believe that this is working around us of all the time. Every religion is about this. It's called different things, God, Tao (for every action there is a balanced reaction), Law of Attraction. If anyone is spiritual, I recommend reading up on this and see how it applies to your beliefs.

There are people out there using this to make money. Beware and believe what you read/see/hear at your own discretion.

Maybe it was just a coincidence that each time I printed out a rare record and paste them on my vision board, I found them within hours. To be honest, I'm too freaked to try it again.

In my understanding, they key is gratitude. Not just wanting something. Then you'll get frustrated when you don't get it. You need to feel gratitude from the bottom of your heart for everything in your life, from the socks that keep your feet warm to the pillow you sleep on, to your friends that will share a drink after work to your family, etc. Experiencing this kind of sincere gratitude is the best thing in the world in my opinion.

I've been working on the law of attraction for months now, so I'm only half surprised to find a thread about it here.

I was very skeptical at the beginning, but I must admit it does work.

"The Secret" is okay, as an introduction, but if you're interested in it I recommend reading "Law of Attraction" by Michael J. Losier. This one is giving practical techniques to use it, whereas most of the others are just saying how wonderful it is and blah blah blah...

This being said, I'm looking for Mare Vitalis by The Appleseed Cast, both pressings ;D

Having ruminated over all the 'The Secret' stuff for a few years and hearing and partaking in arguments over all of it, my humble contribution to this thread is that many times since I've started collecting records I have been reminded of a certain title that I wanted out of the blue and as soon as I went to search for it, I found a cheap copy and usually ended up winning it relatively cheaply with almost no bidding competition when eBay is involved. The last two titles I can remember are Aesop Rock - Float and Aesop Rock - Labor Days. These were just in the past few months. There have been a number of others like this though. I can't explain it.

Having ruminated over all the 'The Secret' stuff for a few years and hearing and partaking in arguments over all of it, my humble contribution to this thread is that many times since I've started collecting records I have been reminded of a certain title that I wanted out of the blue and as soon as I went to search for it, I found a cheap copy and usually ended up winning it relatively cheaply with almost no bidding competition when eBay is involved. The last two titles I can remember are Aesop Rock - Float and Aesop Rock - Labor Days. These were just in the past few months. There have been a number of others like this though. I can't explain it.

That's what happened to me with the Screeching Weasel demo tape.

I've always assumed it would be impossible to come across. Then one day, it occurred to me that I could find it. I got the thought in my head that it was out there and within 2 days I found it on Craigslist of all places.

Most recently, I've been tracking down Rose Melberg stuff. I'm really not into the Softies, but I love Adrian Tomine's artwork, so I was interested in the It's Love LP. I've never come across a Softies record in a store before.

I was at Recofan in Shibuya and saw an "alternative" section. A thought popped up into my head and said, "go see if It's Love is in that bin." So I did and it was there. The other records in there were Smiths, No Use For A Name and lots of mainstream 90s alternative stuff. Crazy find.