Overdue Collection Agency NEEDS HELP

In my opinion, have the fancy stuff. Have the obi strips, hand number everything, press each individual record on a different color to make sure they're as limited as possible...but don't delude yourself into thinking that anyone besides yourself gives two fucks! This is just a classic case of poor planning and a lack of creativity that surpasses *any* industry. Everyone tries to take the easy route out.

Side note: customer service at Erika totally rules. Did a project with them, and was the BEST experience I've had with any pressing I've been involved with. Might've been a more expensive route, but totally worth it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened to people starting record labels with a local band's 7" on black vinyl with a xeroxed cover?

whats a xeroxed cover? is that like a limited obi strip package deal on 12 colors? can i number that xerox thing you speak of to make it worth $$?

it really bugs me that in the defense of this whole thing is statements about how much paperwork and stuff was done ahead of time, and how much money was thrown into this "project", and getting lots of money together for this "company".

that alone should tell you something there.

Gone are the days of doing DIY releases for friends just for the hell of it for fun, folding covers in the living room with your friends, etc. And here are the days where to do something you need to form some large company that needs office space, where you can pour all your money into licensing projects, etc. Now you need to outsource your workload, and pay for press kits and have warehouse space, and spend a ton of unnecessary money on color variants and packages.

i seriously wish more people would go that route. handmade kitchy covers with black vinyl always win out rather than some fancy gatefold vinyl with 6 variant colors. a little ingenuity goes a long way and saves everyone in the long run.

whats a xeroxed cover? is that like a limited obi strip package deal on 12 colors? can i number that xerox thing you speak of to make it worth $$?

it really bugs me that in the defense of this whole thing is statements about how much paperwork and stuff was done ahead of time, and how much money was thrown into this "project", and getting lots of money together for this "company".

that alone should tell you something there.

Gone are the days of doing DIY releases for friends just for the hell of it for fun, folding covers in the living room with your friends, etc. And here are the days where to do something you need to form some large company that needs office space, where you can pour all your money into licensing projects, etc. Now you need to outsource your workload, and pay for press kits and have warehouse space, and spend a ton of unnecessary money on color variants and packages.

i seriously wish more people would go that route. handmade kitchy covers with black vinyl always win out rather than some fancy gatefold vinyl with 6 variant colors. a little ingenuity goes a long way and saves everyone in the long run.

There is room for both, but as this guy proved, hand made doesn't always mean good. His version of "handmade" was shitty-ass splatter paint on blank covers. There is something great about getting a high quality product, but there is definitely a line that this guy passed in both his understanding of what high quality is, and his ability to keep the product cost conducive.

Remember though, for every good looking mk ultra record, there were 6 shitty, shitty, shitty, handmade covers that didn't fit in 7" bins and weren't that good to begin with.

Something overlooked but equally as hilarious as this couple's sense of entitlement:

"But there was a significant problem [with the jacket]. The inside right panel was completely blank, despite a proof that was approved for print.

Needless to say, the printer did me solid and printed it correctly. They told me I could keep the misprinted jackets. So…Subscribers, here’s another treat. All of the Subscriber Exclusive records for Ribbons & Sugar will be packaged in the misprinted jackets."

I love how a treat for the subscribers is that they're receiving the misprinted jackets. Not an extra album to listen to, just a sleeve. Will they get the corrected ones or have to look at the shitty rejects?

"We need YOU to give US $8000 so we can help THEM!"

Also, LOLWUT at the "I need to pay for my masters tuition" part.

These two apparently thought that if they were doing it for charity, they didn't have to know anything about business.

If anyone gives this clown any more money, they are throwing good after bad. I am so happy I didn't contribute to the kickstarter.

Don't bring your sad luck story to the internet. That is the WORST idea. Save it for friends and family.

I would love to have the albums on vinyl, but this whole thing is just a disaster, and the attitude of that couple is just fucking silly.

Guest afsdan

Gone are the days of doing DIY releases for friends just for the hell of it for fun, folding covers in the living room with your friends, etc.

we still exist, Titus, I swear. buried under 3-color/coozie/t-shirt bundles, but we're still kickin'

There is room for both, but as this guy proved, hand made doesn't always mean good. His version of "handmade" was shitty-ass splatter paint on blank covers. There is something great about getting a high quality product, but there is definitely a line that this guy passed in both his understanding of what high quality is, and his ability to keep the product cost conducive.

Remember though, for every good looking mk ultra record, there were 6 shitty, shitty, shitty, handmade covers that didn't fit in 7" bins and weren't that good to begin with.

yeah, i guess you're right. i was thinking more along the lines of devoid of faith or los crudos.

or dare i say ohiopride.... :P

I read his girl's tumbler post, the long rant, and it actually makes me upset. Not at the same people she's upset with, but upset with her.

She seems to be blaming the community, listeners, businesses, and everyone else for the really poor decisions they have made with their money. If they could have used the money for a cross-country move, or for her Masters degree, then they should have used it for the cross-country move or the masters degree. You don't fuck your priorities up then piss on everyone else when you realized you fucked them up.

Just because he really wants this idea to work doesn't mean that its an idea that will work. Or even a good idea to begin with. Just because I threw $18,000 into polishing a piece of shit doesn't mean that money was well spent. And I can't blame everyone else for all my mistakes and poor decisions when I realized that $18,000 could have went to much, much better use elsewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

BUMPING FOR A NEW FAILURE. Go Charity!

Mini-Update + Black Friday discount

Long time, no update. Suffice to say I’ve been busy. There are some cool things bubbling here, but I’m keeping details secret while I raise the funds for our next release. (Some ideas include glow-in-the-dark vinyl!) Things are progressing, albeit slowly. But I suppose it’s easier than pledging ahead of time. (Welcome to the real world)

Either way, I’ve received some amazing feedback about the LP’s and that’s gotten me so excited to get the next one out. Sign up for the mailing list, and soon I’ll surprise you.

But for now, it’s Black Friday. And I’ve got a discount code for you: Use splatter_friday for 10% any purchase in the store. It’s good until 12 AM Monday.

Hope everyone had a nice turkey day!