an admission i'm somewhat loathe to make

i finally listened to that new city & colour album.

while i'm hesitant to say so because i thought the first one was a musical abortion, this one is actually kind of good. the dude reigned in his voice very well and the slightly expanded instrumentation works very nicely. taking some of the shine off the production doesn't hurt either.

i don't think i can recommend it because it still kind of feels like a cash grab and the first one was so wretched, but it's been kind of relaxing the last week or so while i've been violently ill.

Guest conoley

I feel the same way. I hated the first one, but really like the new one.

Cash grab, though? Dude's not making that much money off this. Even if he was, it doesn't matter. He's been writing these songs for years. I remember him playing me some of them back in 2002, so he was doing it for almost as long as alexisonfire.

city and colour is not a cash grab.
really? putting out a live record when you've only done one album isn't a purely feduciary decision?

perhaps a decision by the label. i guess it depends oh who's angle you look at. i was kind of speaking more from dallas', and not those who actually make money from record sales.

hey, i'm sure dallas doesn't see it that way; say what you will about those alexisonfire guys but they're passionate and they obviously have their hearts in the music a hundred per cent. maybe i'm looking at it wrong, but the whole thing seems a bit exploitative to me. i guess that's what i'm trying to express, and i'm sure it's more the business interest that's to blame than anything.

i should probably just let this drop.

no worries. it's not a big deal!

my tainted view of (large) record labels and how they choose to function doesn't seem to differ much from what you're feeling, too. we seem to agree that both dallas (solo) and the alexisonfire guys work really hard at doing something they're extremely passionate about. i guess that for some reason, i just want to give them (directly) more credit than solely being a part of a plan to make money, and nothing more.