vinyl pet peeves?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I want to ask a question of those who hate white inner sleeves would you pay a little extra for poly lined paper sleeves?

No label that has an intention of making their money back selling non-audiophile releases is going to spring for those mofi's but would poly-lined sleeves make everyone a happy duck?

Hey I want to ask a question of those who hate white inner sleeves would you pay a little extra for poly lined paper sleeves?

No label that has an intention of making their money back selling non-audiophile releases is going to spring for those mofi's but would poly-lined sleeves make everyone a happy duck?

I don't speak for everybody, but i do think they would reduce the amount of scratches and smudges that some new presses tend to have.

I'd be happy if ALL records came in the poly lined inner sleeves.

When the name of the band and title are printed facing the wrong way on the spine. It irritates me so much when I'm reading the spines looking for something to play and I come to one that's printed the complete opposite way to all the others. The Gaslight Anthem - '59 Sound and Pianos Become The Teeth - Old Pride are guilty of this.

One more thing, very annoying -- when a 7" vinyl doesn't say if it's 45 or 33 rpm. May not seem like a big deal, but I just reviewed a punk split single and I swear one side is 45 and the other side is 33. Either that or the music is so bad I can't tell what speed it's supposed to be played at.

Either way, let me know. 45 or 33.

One more thing, very annoying -- when a 7" vinyl doesn't say if it's 45 or 33 rpm. May not seem like a big deal, but I just reviewed a punk split single and I swear one side is 45 and the other side is 33. Either that or the music is so bad I can't tell what speed it's supposed to be played at.

Either way, let me know. 45 or 33.

this happened to the Grey Area/Go Rydell split we put out.

We didn't do it intetionally, but I guess because we didn't specifically tell them we wanted one or the other, they cut it based on what they thought was better for each recording.

Most of all, simple paper inner sleeves. It's always a pain in the ass when I'm trying to get the vinyl out of them and I hear the paper rubbing against the vinyl. >:(

Same goes for printed inner sleeves. A nice insert + poly lined sleeve are way better.

When a label presses a dozen different variants of an album but has no proper release site where you can get an overview.

Unsuitable/ugly vinyl colors (see Relapses "Purple Opaque" or "Sea Foam Green Opaque").

Covers that are no real covers but thin papers (the 5th pressing of "This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain" or the "B.SON/Crowskin" Split).

Same, but it also bothers me when a single LP has gatefold packaging.

Why? A nice gatefold is always a win (e.g. the new Omega Massif LP).

32 goddamn pressings of Reinventing Axl Rose! No you can't justify that!

you can justify it by the fact that its a classic record alot of people want to own. The record grew in popularity slowly, so it was constantly repressed in small batches ... and you can justify it by the fact that they've sold out 31 presses.. and for the most part theres only really a handful of variant collectors on that record that stuck with it

32 goddamn pressings of Reinventing Axl Rose! No you can't justify that!

you can justify it by the fact that its a classic record alot of people want to own. The record grew in popularity slowly, so it was constantly repressed in small batches ... and you can justify it by the fact that they've sold out 31 presses.. and for the most part theres only really a handful of variant collectors on that record that stuck with it

Furthermore, how many pressings do you think Atlantic has made of Led Zep IV? It's no different from RAR.

Furthermore, how many pressings do you think Atlantic has made of Led Zep IV? It's no different from RAR.

lol except each pressing of zep 4 was about 10 times as many copies as rar has sold total...

• 3 weeks later...