Official: Post a pic of your pet(s) thread!

So I searched the words "pets" and "dogs" in the search function for the past 300 days and found nothing relating to talking about our own pets! Those that are forced to listen to us spin our vinyl everyday and be completely surprised every time somebody is at our doors to hand us some wonderfully colored vinyl(; haha

So why not have a thread where we post pics of our wonderful dogs, cats, lizards, snakes, and maybe even some hedgehogs?? I'll start off! Here is my cheerful dog, Patches, in mid-tongue lick, and my hedgehog, Hedgie (I know, very original...)

[image]

[image]

and just for fun, this is my hedgehog's baby, Albus (I'm not the owner, he belongs to my girlfriend's twin sister)

[image]

now post your own!!

Holy shit, i want a hedgehog. I'd call it greedy. Greedy hedge hogger.

This is my cat smokey, he rules mostly. Except for when he decides he's people, and deserves an equal amount of couch/bed as anyone else does.

[image]

and here is proving, once and for all that he is 100%, not a person. And that he can't read.

[image]

And this is my neighbours rabbit that loves to host his own little jailbreak, and set up his hideout in my backyard. Don't know it's name, but i'll call it dinner if it doesn't fuck off soon.

[image]

There's plenty of hedgehog's that need owners in the world! Unfortunately, it looks like you'll be spending about 100$ to get one, DON'T BUY FROM A PET STORE, I have friends who their hedgehogs have passed because a lot of pet stores suck and don't know where their hedgehog's came from and such like that... check out craigslist!(: Just remember, they are nocturnal haha

My girlfriend has mentioned wanting a hedgehog in the past. I am reluctant.

I have done zero research but since you, Adventureisoutthere, own one what kind of information can you share? I know they are nocturnal but what kind of upkeep and habitat do they require? Are they playful and hands on?

My main concern is urine. God damn urine. I own two mice(they were at my local SPCA, i felt bad) and those things piss constantly. I clean their cages, every few days it seems to keep odor at a minimum. How are hedgehogs in this regard?

My girlfriend has mentioned wanting a hedgehog in the past. I am reluctant.

I have done zero research but since you, Adventureisoutthere, own one what kind of information can you share? I know they are nocturnal but what kind of upkeep and habitat do they require? Are they playful and hands on?

My main concern is urine. God damn urine. I own two mice(they were at my local SPCA, i felt bad) and those things piss constantly. I clean their cages, every few days it seems to keep odor at a minimum. How are hedgehogs in this regard?

Alright, I'll give ya the low down(;

So basically, the basics to caring for a hedgehog to just make sure it was healthy would be to just change it's food, water, bedding (just about twice a month), and cleaning his wheel (it's recommended that you get a large wheel because they love the run at night). These animals can eat specially ordered hedgehog food from certain websites, but most of them enjoy cat food! (cat food is always recommended for hedges). They live about 4-5 years. The thing about them is that for the first few weeks, possibly even months if you get a typically nervous one, you would almost believe they are the worst pet ever. They will roll into their balls and not come out until everything is quiet and safe to them. They will make this intimidating hissing noise and do a puffing, defense type, movement in their ball. You will almost only be able to pick them up with gloves for a little while. Though after a while, they will start to learn your smell as you start to hold them more and they can typically become very friendly! They are not the type of pet that will come out of their cages willingly, they will almost always roll up into a ball when you try to pick them up, but you start to get used to the spikes and find ways to pick them up that they don't need to be in the ball for too long...

Hedgehogs are not known to bite at all, though I was being a tad rough with mine when I wanted to take a picture of him when I first got him and he gave me a little nibble on the finger, though, if your finger smells like food to him, he will typically think it's food.

As far as habitat goes, they basically require a cage that a guinea pig would go into, which usually runs about 40$ at petsmart. They like the normal igloo type homes and it is advised that you throw a shirt in there with them so they can keep warm and learn your smell faster. Like I said before, they love their wheels as night, so I would recommend a silent wheel, because they are quite noisy if they aren't silent...

For the first couple of months, my hedgehog seemed to only want to go to the bathroom outside of his cage, but I would imagine it would be the same amount of droppings and urine as a hamster would have... Since I've been home from college though (the past 3 months), he has not gone out of his cage once! It really depends on the hedgehog because his son has only gone to the bathroom out of his cage only a couple of times (:

As far as being playful goes, once they are comfortable with you, they will walk around your hands and walk on top of you and such things like you. In the first couple of months when he/she is shy, it is even recommended that you just put them on your lap while you watch tv for about an hour a day so they can feel safe and that you are no harm to them. They will most likely just lay down flat and fall asleep(:

Another fun thing that is unique about them is they like to swim! You can give them a bath about once a month and they will swim all over, but my hedgehog doesn't like to be in there for too long, he'll try to get out after the first couple of minutes(:

I believe I covered a lot, If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

More hedgehog questions, how spiky are they? Because we have echindnas over here, they are absolute jerks, spiky MF's. And i couldn't imagine being able to tame one. Can you handle hedgehogs easily without gloves?

Well, their whole upper side is covered in small spikes (but they are not related to the porcupine family so these spikes do not shoot out or anything like that), they can tend to be painful if they are out but as long as they are down, you can pet the spikes as if you were petting a dog and they feel quite soft and nice to touch(: For the first few weeks, gloves are definitely essential, though after a while, you can learn to pick them up by the soft furry underbellies and can try to avoid them going into a ball. If they do go into a ball, they can be placed into a glove or just about anywhere until they come out of the ball, and then they can be easily held and played with without gloves (:

There are some that can handle the spikes while they are in a ball, I just choose not too... haha

Thanks! I am trying to not have any more pets at the moment, and will never buy a pet from a store but they do come up from time to time at the local SPCA. I like my mice but I know they don't live for very long. Getting my girl a hedgehog has been in the back of my mind but I wouldn't do so until the mice have passed on. Thanks for all the info, very helpful!

Thanks! I am trying to not have any more pets at the moment, and will never buy a pet from a store but they do come up from time to time at the local SPCA. I like my mice but I know they don't live for very long. Getting my girl a hedgehog has been in the back of my mind but I wouldn't do so until the mice have passed on. Thanks for all the info, very helpful!

Gotcha man, well I hope your mice live long and healthy lives! A hedgehog can be a great experience and they can be very nice pets once they get to know you(: No problem, always looking to get more people to look into being a loving owner of a hedgehog!

Here is a picture of our third dog, Kevin.

I took this with one of those goofy camera apps because I not so secretly would love a two headed dog.

[image]

Still can't find any pictures of our newest dog, Jaws. He has a terrible under bite and is going through a lot with allergies to food right now. Poor dude is biting the shit out of himself. It was getting better but he seems to be chewing himself raw. I think it might be time for one of those neck cones for a while so he can heal.

^ I agree. We have 4 dogs and two mice. That's enough for now. I thought three dogs was enough but our most recent, really needed some help. He finally put on some weight and is socializing pretty well but we are struggling to get his allergies under control. Between him and Toad(pictured above) with all of her problems our vet bills are just at the point where we can't do any more.

I love them all to death though and wouldnt trade any of them for the world.