NHL PLayoffs

Whoaaaaaaaaaa!

That was awesooooooooome!

I went down to the South Side (our bar district) for the 3rd period and on and after the game you could have sworn we just won the cup. People were spewing out of bars, honking their horns, cheering, high-fiving, etc... what a rush!

I didn't get home until 3:30am, but staying out late for this game was so worth it!

One of the best games I've ever witnessed.

What I'm looking at for game 6 is the aging Red Wings to be pretty tired. Hopefully the young Pens can take advantage of that. I'd also like to see Gary Roberts scratched, he played a solid game yesterday, but he's going to be tired and it'd be nice to have Laraque in there to further wear down Detroit's oldies.

I'm glad this turned into a series!

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both goalies played awesome, people are just heaping praise on fluery cause he won, that game could have gone either way.

that, and he DID stop 55 out of 58 shots, where osgood only stopped 28 of 33 shots. I mean, no one was going to praise him really if they lost last night, detroit would have been hoisting the Cup and the Pens would have been in their shadow on the ice.

For any pens fans, Alex Golgiloski got called up from AHL 2 nights ago, so we might see him tomorrow night in game 6 if any defensive player isnt cleared to play.

I think we'll see Letang again before Gogo. Alex was called up because Kris went to the funeral.

More on Alex, pretty neat...

DETROIT -- Penguins prospect Alex Goligoski set an American Hockey League playoff record yesterday.

No real surprise there, given Goligoski's big-time offensive talents.

Except that he wasn't in a game when he broke the record.

Or even in the AHL, for that matter.

A scoring change by the league office resulted in Goligoski being awarded an assist on Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's first goal in its 4-2 loss to Chicago in Game 2 of the Calder Cup final Sunday.

That became his 26th point -- four goals, 22 assists -- this spring, breaking the record of 25 set by former Penguins minor leaguer Chris Kelleher in 2001.

The real twist is that Goligoski got the point a few hours after participating in the Penguins' morning skate before Game 5 of the Stanley Cup final against Detroit last night at Joe Louis Arena.

Goligoski was brought up on emergency recall Sunday after rookie Kris Letang left the team to attend the funeral of a close friend, Vancouver defenseman Luc Bourdon, in New Brunswick. Although Letang was back before game time, the Penguins wanted to make sure they had a defenseman on hand in case Letang was delayed.

The promotion cost Goligoski what would have been a day off, but he didn't seem to mind.

"It's definitely better coming up here and being part of what these guys are going through," he said.

The Baby Penguins trail Chicago, 2-0, in the Calder Cup final, but Goligoski said he remains confident, particularly with the next three games scheduled for Wilkes-Barre.

"Going home, we'll have a little more intensity, and I think that's what we need right now," he said. "We've been a good home team all year. I don't think winning three at home is at all out of the question."

Especially if Goligoski's teammates can perform at the level he reached in Games 1 and 2. The Baby Penguins got six goals in those games; Goligoski scored one and assisted on the other five.

Goligoski will tie an AHL record for playoff points by a rookie if he earns two more. Longtime NHL forward Mike Sillinger set the mark with 28 while playing for Adirondack in 1992.

Whoaaaaaaaaaa!

I went down to the South Side (our bar district) for the 3rd period and on and after the game you could have sworn we just won the cup. People were spewing out of bars, honking their horns, cheering, high-fiving, etc... what a rush!

I didn't get home until 3:30am, but staying out late for this game was so worth it!

What I'm looking at for game 6 is the aging Red Wings to be pretty tired. Hopefully the young Pens can take advantage of that. I'd also like to see Gary Roberts scratched, he played a solid game yesterday, but he's going to be tired and it'd be nice to have Laraque in there to further wear down Detroit's oldies.

tired? old? Close? How about Pavel Datsyuk's cutting in front of the net and flipping a shot off the crossbar -- the underside of the crossbar -- that required replay review before being denied. The underside of the crossbar?

you'd do well not to take the wings so lightly.

also! hooray! its not a series til we hate each other!

I'm just glad the series is close! If it goes 7 games I don't care if they win or lose, the fact that they were able to hang in there against the red wings is incredible!

Also, ive read alot of people saying that pens aren't on the same level because they don't shoot as much... got outshot almost 2 to 1 last night. My respsonse to that is that it only takes 1 shot to score a goal and one goal to win a game, so detroit can have 100 shots and the pens can have 10, and if the pens win then fuck yeah!

Whoaaaaaaaaaa!

tired? old? Close? How about Pavel Datsyuk's cutting in front of the net and flipping a shot off the crossbar -- the underside of the crossbar -- that required replay review before being denied. The underside of the crossbar?

you'd do well not to take the wings so lightly.

also! hooray! its not a series til we hate each other!

I'm not taking the Wings lightly, look at my past posts in this thread.

That was an excellent scoring opportunity.

All I'm saying is that it is a fact that the Wings are an older team, much older. I hope the young legs on the team in black and gold work in our favor.

lookig back... i think when the camera panned across both benches at the beginning of the 1st OT, when you saw Detroits players looking tired, frustrated, burned out over the last 30 seconds... then you saw the Pens bench, smiling, talbot/sykora pushing around Malkin on the bench making him laugh, there was just a different attitude between the two. It was just awesome, i love the players on the Pens, I hope they re-sign them all!!! haha

lookig back... i think when the camera panned across both benches at the beginning of the 1st OT, when you saw Detroits players looking tired, frustrated, burned out over the last 30 seconds... then you saw the Pens bench, smiling, talbot/sykora pushing around Malkin on the bench making him laugh, there was just a different attitude between the two. It was just awesome, i love the players on the Pens, I hope they re-sign them all!!! haha

i think the actual play of the preceding 2 ots spoke volumes for both teams. and espically after getting a goal in the last 36 seconds to keep your team alive, hell yeah, i'd be happy too.

i think the actual play of the preceding 2 ots spoke volumes for both teams. and espically after getting a goal in the last 36 seconds to keep your team alive, hell yeah, i'd be happy too.

pens may have played a little sloppy with all the turnovers, but they showed last night to all the doubters in the hockey world that they 110% deserved to be in the Cup finals

pens may have played a little sloppy with all the turnovers, but they showed last night to all the doubters in the hockey world that they 110% deserved to be in the Cup finals

oh yeah, definitely deserve to be there, most entertaining series in a while.

what a pleasure to watch Fleury play the way he did. FTW.

both goalies played awesome, people are just heaping praise on fluery cause he won, that game could have gone either way.

Osgood was nowhere near as good as Fleury. He had spurts where he had to be good but Fleury let the Pens win that game. There's no comparison. The Wings have been the better team but Fleury has been the better goalie.

all im asking is to get to bed by midnight....oh yeah, and to win the cup and watch them skate it around Mellon Arena.

Losing the final cup game at home is considered the ULTIMATE hockey insult according to many NHLers.

but hell, who knows with this series. super stoked.

if the Pens can figure out how to win the series by only taking three games that would be amazing.

i actually want to see it go to seven. so tonight, GO PENS!