NHL PLayoffs

i agree. malkin is a typical russian star. he wants all the money and isn't that big on winning. i got to say, ovie impresses me a lot more than geno. ovie took time to learn the language and at least talks about wanting to win. sure he took a max contract that will screw his team, but oh well. geno complained about the playoffs going on to long, being tired, and playing the point on PP. plus, he still can't spreak the language much better. staal can be a shut down centre and possible 40 goal guy. sid is the franchise. geno is kinda doing his own thing out there most the time. it's a nice problem to have, but i'd rather have 4 first rounders over 2 years for him. we could build a hell of a team with that deal. let the oilers put the offer sheet on him, and they're nearly gaurenteed to be lottery picks!

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take it from a guy who watched Gretzky struggle in LA. No matter how good your first line center is, you need a second line guy that's near as potent. Not sure you can bank on Staal being that type of player. Not sure Malkin is the answer but LA tried for the better part of 10 years to find Gretzky a partner and could never do it.

you'd really trade malkin? thank god none of you actually make decisions for the pens.

So you'd run the risk of becoming Tampa Bay? They signed their "trio" of stars to bid-dollar, fair market contracts couldn't keep Bulin and became horrendous. You have to make tough decisions to keep teams winning. Its not like you won a Cup with Malkin. Sure, you got there but its not about second place, its about first. If the Kings (and the Oilers) can trade Gretzky anyone, ever can be traded. Signing Malkin and trading him could be a boon for the Pens. Look what trading Eric Lindros, supposedly the next Gretzky, did for Colorado. They ended up winning all of their Cups because of that trade.

And I'm not saying Malkin should be traded. Just saying you can't have 3-4 guys taking up 50% or close to your cap and trading him could work well if need be. Its something you always have to consider or you're not doing your job as a GM. I mean if Malkin can bring you a franchise defenseman I think its something to highly consider.

Dominik Hasek retired today. He was my favorite player growing up, so I'm a little bummed. But he's making the right move (if he sticks to it). plus hes over 40 now, has 3 kids, and just doesn't have the motivation he once did. and when the motivation is gone it;s the right time to walk away and that's what he's doing. still tho, i'll miss the way the Dominator made every save look exciting.

[image]

735 Games

2 Cups

1 Gold Medal

6 Vezinas

2 Harts

Save % - 92.2 (1st ALL TIME)

81 Shutouts (T-6)

2.02 GAA All Time

and Hull's goal will NEVER really count.

Its Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek as far as the best goalies I've ever seen play. In that specific order for me.

I think that's the safe order for anyone who started following hockey in the 90s. I would've loved watching Bernie Parent and Ron Hextall.

Honestly I would have preferred Gump Worsley, Jacques Plante, and Terry Sawchuk. Hell I'd throw Rogie Vachon, Tony Esposito, and Grant Fuhr in that lot as well.

That all said I started watching in the late 80s when Gretzky came to the Kings and the family got season seats. I can only speak for who I saw in person. I'm sure my grandfather would have a better grip on goalies "before my time." As for the ones I personally saw play, those are my top 3. Obviously Eddy the Eagle is in there and so is Vernon but those three were the dominate three for the majority of the time I watched hockey.

I'd rather take less and play on a good team. Hopefully, I can return here and be part of this organization but, with the salary cap, I know how hard it is."

-- Marian Hossa

link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3429820

I personally would like to see this happen. I think he works well with the current team.

Crawford now out as the Kings coach. Not sure their problems were a direct result but some have indicated he wanted Clouts so that could have something to do with it. Maybe Dean Lombardi was buying out Clouts and Crow got in the way? Not sure. Either way I'm hoping they bring in Tortella I think. He pushed Vinny Lecavlier and could do the same for Dustin Brown, Patrick O'Sullivan, and Anze Kopitar. Well he could if we can find some goaltending consistency.

the thing with pittsburgh is that malkin staal malone and fleury are all free agents NEXT year. if they do sign hossa it can only be for 1 year and they only have a little bit of cap space. if they sign him for longer it would have to be for like a million a season and he would never take that.

Malone and Fleury are free agents THIS year. Fleury is a RFA.

Malkin and Staal are next year, both RFAs. I hope we lock Staal up loooooong term on a sweet deal. That guy is the type of player that wins championships.

Malone's agent and Ray Shero have begun discussions per the newspaper this morning.

the thing with pittsburgh is that malkin staal malone and fleury are all free agents NEXT year. if they do sign hossa it can only be for 1 year and they only have a little bit of cap space. if they sign him for longer it would have to be for like a million a season and he would never take that.

Malone and Fleury are free agents THIS year. Fleury is a RFA.

Malkin and Staal are next year, both RFAs. I hope we lock Staal up loooooong term on a sweet deal. That guy is the type of player that wins championships.

Malone's agent and Ray Shero have begun discussions per the newspaper this morning.

staal's agent has made comments about possibly waiting until next summer for contract negotiations because of his drop in performance this past season.