NHL PLayoffs

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man, I don't know if any of you saw the post game interviews in the Pens locker room... that was the most depressing moment of the night. crosby looked straight into the camera and said "the fans in pittsburgh are amazing, thank you for your support". you could tell he had been crying, same with Whitney and Malone couldn't even answer questions because he was so upset. I love this team and the players, this may have been the best season of hockey in years for me and i'm so glad i'll be living in pittsburgh and not in VA in September.

man, I don't know if any of you saw the post game interviews in the Pens locker room... that was the most depressing moment of the night. crosby looked straight into the camera and said "the fans in pittsburgh are amazing, thank you for your support". you could tell he had been crying, same with Whitney and Malone couldn't even answer questions because he was so upset. I love this team and the players, this may have been the best season of hockey in years for me and i'm so glad i'll be living in pittsburgh and not in VA in September.

Yeah, but the Pens are such a young team, their whole playoff run was great experience and will only make them better as players and as a team. If they keep the same lineup, or close to it, next season should be really amazing.

That's how I feel. They're too young and all those young guys made a name for themselves this year. Whether their contracts are up now or in a year or two, that team is going to have everyone plucked from the roster by teams with more cap-space or good GMs.

Just look at their UFAs and RFAs this year... http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

Hossa, Malone, and Orpik alone could cause some issues. Hall and Fleury add to the mix. Then look at Staal, Talbot and Kennedy the next year.

That's how I feel. They're too young and all those young guys made a name for themselves this year. Whether their contracts are up now or in a year or two, that team is going to have everyone plucked from the roster by teams with more cap-space or good GMs.

Just look at their UFAs and RFAs this year... http://nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=PIT

Hossa, Malone, and Orpik alone could cause some issues. Hall and Fleury add to the mix. Then look at Staal, Talbot and Kennedy the next year.

doing some math:

current cap + bonuses: 27.3

Malone - $3

Hossa - $7-$8

BGL - $1.5

Ruutu - $1.5

Hall - $1-$1.5

Dupuis - $1.5

Hooks - $2-3

MAF - $4-5

scary gary - to HOF

totals:

48.8-52.3

NHL cap next season is estimated to be around $56 million if i remember right. so pens can get everyone who was important locked up for a year to make another run. malone and MAF i expect to be long term deals. hossa would be 1 year most likely. he really liked it here, has very little pressure on him with so many stars, and would get to be sid's sniper, a job anyone would kill for.

yes but MAF is a young goalie quickly gaining very valuable experience - and with a shortage of good goalies in the league and him being far and away the best on the market means his price will be inflated.

hell, i am a huge flyers fan and i love carter but to be honest...if maf was available for 6 mill a year for the next 5-6 years i would do it. that might mean losing carter but if not then RJ would be gone for sure - and that means we won't be able to go after a top dman on the open market.

i would still do it

Rumors are of a $57 mil cap right now.

Unless Hossa wants to take a 1 year deal to win (he has expressed this in the past in Atlanta) then he walks. That's how Sykora came here for dirt cheap. He actually called Ray Shero!

I also think Malone should walk, unless he signs a long term deal w/ a hometown discount. I can't remember the guys name, but some average forward just got a $5 or 6 mil deal and that's overpayment. Someone will overpay Malone and it's not worth it. Use that money to snag another Sykora on the cheap.

There's an article in the Toronto Sun (I have no idea how credible that paper is), but it had Orpik saying he won't sign here under Therrien. That's a bummer, because he should be resigned.

I think you let Ruutu walk, he's replaceable. Perhaps resign Laraque if Jarkko goes.

Mark Eaton will be cheap, because he's "injury prone" -- I think that term is rubbish, his injuries were freak accidents. Sign him for a year or two, if he works out great, we trade Whitney at the deadline (that frees up $4-5 mil) and bring up Goligoski.

MAF needs to be locked up. Goalies, like Andrew said are underpaid. He'll probably get $5 mil.

After that, lock Malkin up looooooooong term. Hopefully he takes a Sid discount.

Get Staal under a nice contract while he's still in the shadow.

FORWARDS

Sidney Crosby

Contract Status: Signed through 2012-13 at average of $8.7 million per season.

Looking ahead: Took less on his deal so Pens could build winner around him.

Marian Hossa

Contract Status: Made $7 million, can be unrestricted free agent July 1.

Looking ahead: Pens will make a serious effort to keep him, but he'll only stay if he's willing to take less than what he could get on open market.

Evgeni Malkin

Contract Status: One year left on three-year, entry-level deal.

Looking ahead: Pens will try for long-term extension this summer; Malkin likely will shoot for more than $8.7 million per year.

Jordan Staal

Contract Status: One year left on three-year, entry-level deal.

Looking ahead: Pens would like to negotiate a long-term extension this summer. Staal, coming off 12-goal season, might want to wait till next summer.

Ryan Malone

Contract Status: Made $1.45 million and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Malone might out-price Pens on open market.

Petr Sykora

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $2.5 million.

Looking ahead: Prototype for kind of productive, reasonably priced players GM Ray Shero must continue to find.

Jarkko Ruutu

Contract Status: Made $1.15 million and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Eleven teams made offers to Ruutu last time he was a free agent. Pens like him but won't overpay.

Gary Roberts

Contract Status: Made $2.5 million and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Retirement a possibility. Probably has fulfilled his purpose here.

Georges Laraque

Contract Status: Makes $1.3 million and will be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: He's a comforting element on the team but no sure bet to stick around.

Pascal Dupuis

Contract Status: Made $880,000 and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Very iffy on whether Pens would want to pay much more to keep him.

Maxime Talbot

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $700,000.

Looking ahead: Might find himself on one of top two lines next season.

Tyler Kennedy

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $550,000.

Looking ahead: Needs to add some goals to go with all that speed and energy.

Adam Hall

Contract Status: Made $525,000 and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Had excellent playoff and likely would be welcomed back for right price.

Jeff Taffe

Contract Status: Made $500,000 and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Solid role player who'd fit right in again.

Kris Beech

Contract Status: Can be unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Seems unlikely to return.

DEFENSEMEN

Sergei Gonchar

Contract Status: Signed through 2009-10 at an average of $5 million per season.

Looking ahead: A trade would free up money, but Gonchar is so valuable on ice and a mentor for Malkin.

Ryan Whitney

Contract Status: Signed through 2012-13 at an average of $4 million per season.

Looking ahead: Gonchar's heir apparent on power play had an excellent final.

Brooks Orpik

Contract Status: Made $1.075 million and can be unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Might triple his salary on the market, which would likely make him a goner.

Kris Letang

Contract Status: Signed through 2009-10 at an average of $835,000 per season.

Looking ahead: Figures to take on more prominent role next season.

Hal Gill

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $2.1 million.

Looking ahead: His physicality is a necessary ingredient.

Darryl Sydor

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $2.5 million.

Looking ahead: Questionable as to what role will be if prized prospect Alex Goligoski is ready.

Rob Scuderi

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $725,000.

Looking ahead: Solid defensive defenseman.

Mark Eaton

Contract Status: Made $1.6 million and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Injury could keep salary reasonable, so he could return.

GOALIES

Marc-Andre Fleury

Contract Status: Made $1.6 million and can be a restricted free agent.

Looking ahead: Should be an interesting negotiation. Pens will want to reach deal before July 1 so no other team comes along with enticing offer sheet.

Ty Conklin

Contract Status: Made $500,000 and can be an unrestricted free agent.

Looking ahead: As with Roberts, might have served his purpose here, but would be nice to keep for right price.

Dany Sabourin

Contract Status: Signed through next season at $525,000.

Looking ahead: If Conklin leaves, he'll be the backup.