NHL PLayoffs

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy on hfboards typed this up...

Dupuis (~1.20) - Crosby (8.70) - Hossa (~8.00)

Malone (~3.75) - Malkin (3.83) - Sykora (2.62)

Talbot (0.67) - Staal (2.20) - Kennedy (0.54)

Ruutu (~1.20) - Hall (~0.60) - Taffe (~0.55)

Forward total: 33.86 million. +~1.25 for depth = 35.11

Gonchar (5.00) - Orpik (~3.50)

Whitney (4.00) - Scuderi (0.71)

Letang (0.83) - Gill (2.07)

Sydor (2.50)

Defense total: 18.61 million

Fleury (~4.50)

Sabourin (0.51)

Goaltending total: 5.01 million

Team total: 58.73 million

That pushes us over the cap by a bit.

Sydor (2.50)

Fleury (~4.50)

Sabourin (0.51)

yeah, won't be able to do that.

Malkin is nuts if he thinks he's worth more than Sid, especially after his disappearing act in the Finals. Yes he's good, but he's got a lot of growing up to do.

I don't think he thinks he is, but Crosby took a sizable discount. Malkin's competition isn't Crosby, it's Ovechkin and he'll want his money.

Sydor (2.50)

Fleury (~4.50)

Sabourin (0.51)

yeah, won't be able to do that.

I 99% feel that Hossa will not be in black and gold next year. If we can get Malone to sign at something similar to above, awesome, but in 2010 when Staal and Malkin's new contracts are on the books we'll be in trouble.

Is Sydor on for next year? Because he seems the best candidate for a buyout? I mean 2.5 is high for him and 2.07 for Gil is a bit high too. Not even sure Orpik is worth more than 2.5 to be honest. The Pens should work to keep as many as possible from the Malkin, Crosby, Staal, Malone, Fleury, and Whitney camp. That, to me, is their core. Everyone else is flavor role players. AND don't forget, Pittsburgh is a nice place for a vet to come play. I mean, who wouldn't want to play with Crosby? You'll see vets taking discounts to play for the Pens.

Sydor has one year left, he's over 35 so he's protected from things like a buyout I believe. The only way we don't have to pay his entire salary is if we demote him to the AHL, he clears waivers, we call him back up, he clears waievers, then we can buy him out for 50% of his salary -- that's what we did to Mark Recchi. Sydor can still add some value to this team, especially if we lose Orpik and don't resign Eaton.

Gil's salary is what it is, he's not a FA.

I don't think Orpik is worth a ton either, but he'll be over payed. Especially after "the shift."

orpik won't be back because therrian hates him and him likewise back at him.

I think Hossa will stay. They can sign him for 1 year of Malkin money and 1 year for staal money, and then trade him/release him/whatever him after both Malkin/Staals new contracts are both in full effect. I think a 2 year 15 mil contract would keep him in pittsburgh to win a cup or two. give an entire season with crosby and they'll both have 120 points.

Here comes what could be an unpopular thought -

I would trade Malkin. He proved himself to be a soft player and the whole NHL learned exactly how to shut him down. Toughness can't be taught. I would trade him for at least a good young offensive defenseman (a Mike Green type). They aren't gonna be able to keep everyone, so I would unload him and get as much as possible for him.

I would trade Malkin. He proved himself to be a soft player and the whole NHL learned exactly how to shut him down. Toughness can't be taught. I would trade him for at least a good young offensive defenseman (a Mike Green type). They aren't gonna be able to keep everyone, so I would unload him and get as much as possible for him.

Who shut Malkin down?

Detroit? Well he was injured and sick, so you can't guage 100%.

Malkin was the 2nd best player in the NHL all season, you don't trade that.

Who shut Malkin down?

Detroit? Well he was injured and sick, so you can't guage 100%.

Malkin was the 2nd best player in the NHL all season, you don't trade that.

You do if you can get something for him that will better enable your team to compete.

I think Sid is the once in a lifetime superstar more than Malkin to be honest. Its just my opinion on the matter. Though that said I'd be more prone to keep Malkin and let Staal walk in a few years than anything else.

I agree with this. It would be nice to have that one-two punch around again, ala Lemieux and Jagr.