How I met your mother

The thing that got me was they recorded the kid's finale scene back in season 2 so they had to stick to an ending that left no room for growth.

If the series ended after three or four seasons if would have made sense.

All the hints about the mother made us care about her only just to go back to robin

They didn't have to at all. They could have just had a bunch of shots of of all the characters happy with narration over. Just because they filmed the kids doesn't mean they HAD to use it. He didn't just go back... He was with her for like 10 years right? They met in 2014? She dies in 2024 then Ted spends 6 years mourning her death. So it's not like he just was with her for like 15 minutes then go YEAH I WANT ROBIN AGAIN.

I loved the ending. So bittersweet. Idk why everyone's mad about it--nobody else thought it was weird how it was supposed to be the story of how he met their mother, and yet he always went out of his way for Robin, and always had a thing for her even up to her wedding day? Lily and Marshall end up living the dream. Barney finally grows up (that scene w/ his daughter killed me). for me, it provided good closure, and brought everything full circle. I called the blue French horn.

Basically how I feel. My biggest problem was Barney's character regression. The past season and half were about him growing and become responsible and mature, and they just threw that under the bus only to have the redeeming moment with his daughter.

The great part of the Ted and Robin thing, is that they both got what they wanted. Ted got someone he loved and had kids with and Robin got her news career. And now, maybe, they can be wit each other.

I've read lots of "so the mother didn't matter at all ?!?!?" or "why did Barney and Robin even get married?!?!" stuff, but it's like come on, divorce and death do happen. The show didn't invent them.  And just because they happened doesn't mean these characters need to mope in it or be defined by it.

They didn't have to at all. They could have just had a bunch of shots of of all the characters happy with narration over. Just because they filmed the kids doesn't mean they HAD to use it. He didn't just go back... He was with her for like 10 years right? They met in 2014? She dies in 2024 then Ted spends 6 years mourning her death. So it's not like he just was with her for like 15 minutes then go YEAH I WANT ROBIN AGAIN.

true dat true

I loved the ending. So bittersweet. Idk why everyone's mad about it--nobody else thought it was weird how it was supposed to be the story of how he met their mother, and yet he always went out of his way for Robin, and always had a thing for her even up to her wedding day? Lily and Marshall end up living the dream. Barney finally grows up (that scene w/ his daughter killed me). for me, it provided good closure, and brought everything full circle. I called the blue French horn.

Well put.  I enjoyed it.  Glad it ended w/ Ted & Robin too because you're exactly right.

It was such a great show.  Watched it every Monday night w/ my (now) wife ever since we began dating over 5 years ago.  Sad that it's over.

You're right - in context, Ted has 10 years with the mother, 6 years to mourn, then he goes back to Robin. But to the viewers, it feels like 15 minutes because we watched it unfold literally that quickly.

That was my problem with the finale. They dragged out season 9 with a ton of filler, using 22 episodes to cover a 48 hour wedding (that ends up being irrelevant 15 minutes into the finale)....and then in the remaining 40 minutes, they try to cram in what happened in the next 15 years. There was enough story in the finale for at least half a season, and it just ended up feeling really rushed to me. 

They really could have trimmed a ton of fat off this season, and had Barney and Robin's wedding like 4 weeks ago. We could have had Ted/Tracy meet at the same time or shortly thereafter. Then we could have spent a decent amount of time covering topics like the divorce, Barney's kid (that deserved it's own episode), Marshall and Lily's 3rd kid and moving out of the apartment for good, etc.

If they did it that way, then by the time the finale got here, we could have used almost all of it to focus on Ted and Tracy - their relationship, marriage, her illness, and death. Then if they still wanted to put Ted and Robin together at the end, at least we're fully prepared for it. But the way last night went, I was barely coming to grips with the idea that she died, and Ted's kids are already telling him to call Robin. Not mad about the ending, just moved too quickly.

You're right - in context, Ted has 10 years with the mother, 6 years to mourn, then he goes back to Robin. But to the viewers, it feels like 15 minutes because we watched it unfold literally that quickly.

That was my problem with the finale. They dragged out season 9 with a ton of filler, using 22 episodes to cover a 48 hour wedding (that ends up being irrelevant 15 minutes into the finale)....and then in the remaining 40 minutes, they try to cram in what happened in the next 15 years. There was enough story in the finale for at least half a season, and it just ended up feeling really rushed to me. 

They really could have trimmed a ton of fat off this season, and had Barney and Robin's wedding like 4 weeks ago. We could have had Ted/Tracy meet at the same time or shortly thereafter. Then we could have spent a decent amount of time covering topics like the divorce, Barney's kid (that deserved it's own episode), Marshall and Lily's 3rd kid and moving out of the apartment for good, etc.

If they did it that way, then by the time the finale got here, we could have used almost all of it to focus on Ted and Tracy - their relationship, marriage, her illness, and death. Then if they still wanted to put Ted and Robin together at the end, at least we're fully prepared for it. But the way last night went, I was barely coming to grips with the idea that she died, and Ted's kids are already telling him to call Robin. Not mad about the ending, just moved too quickly.

I read complaints similar to this too, but I think the importance of the whole season being spent at the wedding was that this was the last time the gang was really all together. It's important not because Robin and Barney are getting married (I mean that's important too), but because after it all of their lives significantly change.

I read complaints similar to this too, but I think the importance of the whole season being spent at the wedding was that this was the last time the gang was really all together. It's important not because Robin and Barney are getting married (I mean that's important too), but because after it all of their lives significantly change.

This.

from wiki, who quoted someone else, that I agree with

Bill Kuchman of Popculturology said that the success of Milioti as The Mother made it hard to write the character away so quickly, saying, "Thanks to the show’s writing staff and Cristin Milioti, HIMYM had a huge victory on its hands with The Mother. Asking fans to drop all of that with a simple line about The Mother getting sick and passing away was a very difficult request."[10] Kuchman noted that "[over] the course of this final season, HIMYM made us care about Tracy. It made us believe that she and Ted belonged together. It was earned. That's why it was sad to see HIMYM just brush Tracy away.

Fuck, it's over.

I loved it. At no point while watching the finale did I think "they could have done this differently,"  but I get where some people are coming from that it felt rushed. It was unexpected, for me at least. I gave up on that ending around season 7, but I was a sucker for the Ted and Robin love story.

• 5 months later...