The tragic events of 9/11/01

AlexH.

most americans are too naive to consider the deaths of afghani civilians. myself included, to be honest. but for most people, the first thing that comes to mind with afghanis and 9/11 is people parading in the streets in celebration of those thousands of lives. perhaps we may be guilty of the same in a certain regard, but there is very very little coverage and/or awareness of the loss of innocent afghani lives.

My boss at work kept joking about it, tonight. He asked if I was going to go out drinking to "celebrate the holiday". It kind of offended me. I personally didn't know anyone who lost a family member that day, or the days following. However, as a human being, not just an American, I consider the event a tragedy. Though, I do agree with some of you, in that I don't like those capitalizing monetarily, by playing on the emotions of other people. If the proceeds went to a charity relating to the event, that would be a different case.

"Never Forget"

Unless my mental health deteriorates due to age, I won't forget. I remember being in my freshman year of high school, in first period. The teacher turned on the T.V, just as the second plane struck the second tower. I was only 15 at the time. When I got to my second period class, I remember seeing a girl cry. Her mother was a flight attendant on a plane going to New York that morning, and she wasn't able to get a hold of her by phone. Later, I learned, thankfully, her mother wasn't on one the the flights that were hijacked.

Anyways, it sucked it happened. May those who died rest in peace.

One is only allowed to speak of 9/11 in sanctimonious, politically correct terms. It's like when you talk about the troops/war, or really, any controversial or touchy subject in this country. That's why we're pretty much doomed to act like a bunch of fucking children about everything. I blame baby boomers, though Generation X and the "echo boomers" aren't much better. And I'm convinced the generation behind mine is even more worthless than my own, so fuck it.

One is only allowed to speak of 9/11 in sanctimonious, politically correct terms. It's like when you talk about the troops/war, or really, any controversial or touchy subject in this country. That's why we're pretty much doomed to act like a bunch of fucking children about everything. I blame baby boomers, though Generation X and the "echo boomers" aren't much better. And I'm convinced the generation behind mine is even more worthless than my own, so fuck it.

Nah its not about that for everybody. For me and other sane NYC area people, it should be about respect for those affected in the tragedy itself. I'm hardly a flag waving chest beating God Bless America person, but I often try to refrain from jokes about any tragedy. Its also a tragedy that countless Afghan and Iraqi civilians continue to suffer as a result of 19 non-state actors....

What's gray and white and looks great on a fireman?

The Twin Towers

Case in point.