These things never changed.

There's narcissism.

Entangled alliances.

Culture wars at home.

One long, downhill slide

Terror attacks did not cause.

I'm just not convinced.

it did amplify it a bit though.. haha.

ok,i'm going to bed i have a party tomorrow. go figure..

Please: enlighten us. I sincerely would like to hear your opinion on why you don't think the events that occurred on 9/11/01 haven't been used to justify the means of fear based fleecing of liberties, gross war crimes, xenophobia, and the endless pouring of cash, bodies, and resources into other countries while defaulting on our own.

9/11 has been co-opted to be 9/11 Inc. Be it politicians, individuals or the latest conspiracy theorist out to hawk a hackneyed book there is a lot of reasons to be disgusted. I'm more than willing to have that debate with folks I speak to daily.

The upside is that as an individual you can allow it to be what you want it to. This is an event that needs to be remembered but I am not into creating martyrs. As a volunteer FireFighter I will be attending my local memorial this evening in uniform with my brothers and I will stand there to honor anyone, not just 9/11 responders, that goes in to dangerous situations at the risk of their own personal safety to bring others out. That can be as broad or narrow as you want to interpret it but just because people in the public eye have abused this event doesn't mean our reaction has to be the polar opposite. We can allow events like this to remain pure through our own actions.

Creating sarcastic threads though about tragedy strikes me as rather disrespectful and counter productive. You're free to do it but just because George Bush corrupted the event doesn't mean those that sacrificed themselves that day don't deserve respect.

Low blow on the P.O.D. joke. Regardless of how fucked up U.S. foreign policy is and how much certain people civil liberties have been eroded, a lot of people still died that day, regardless of who did it. I know millions die everyday from famine, war, and civil unrest, but thats never a joke either.

Low blow on the P.O.D. joke. Regardless of how fucked up U.S. foreign policy is and how much certain people civil liberties have been eroded, a lot of people still died that day, regardless of who did it. I know millions die everyday from famine, war, and civil unrest, but thats never a joke either.

Exactly. And in recent US history this was a fucking terrible event, it's not every day two massive buildings get blown up and thousands of innocent people die, there is no doubt this day should be remembered every year. And for the record I am not even from the US, but I have seen a lot of people "hating" on 9/11 lately, treating it as a nothing event, which is frankly bullshit.

Exactly. And in recent US history this was a fucking terrible event, it's not every day two massive buildings get blown up and thousands of innocent people die, there is no doubt this day should be remembered every year. And for the record I am not even from the US, but I have seen a lot of people "hating" on 9/11 lately, treating it as a nothing event, which is frankly bullshit.

i think its just a counter reaction to the "spectacle of 9/11." everybody would agree that what happened that day was tragic beyond belief, but just because someone comments on the hype through a comical post in a message board doesn't mean that they are treating it as a "nothing event." in fact, humor is still one of the best coping methods. but that being said, people on both sides can take this too far. i think making jokes about those who lost their lives or the families who lost love ones is just as bad as news channels broadcasting 9/11 specials for the past three days to boost their ratings and stores pushing bumper stickers and trucker hats in the name of "freedom."

I certainly don't feel like it's a meaningless event, and I know it's been used to justify a lot of things. It was certainly used to predicate a lot of bullshit political moves, and it certainly kickstarted us blowing up olive skinned people in an awful lot of countries.

this.

i find it down right foolish to believe that our country would not be in better standing had the events of 9/11/01 never occurred.

believe what you want... a lot of people died that day. and a lot of people have died as a result of that day. a man whose death we celebrated (hey a-money) was killed as a result of that day.

that day changed the world. and thats not relevant to the fact that we still function as human-beings in our day-to-day routines.