Tipping At Shows!

I tipped 1.50 on a 26 dollar bill for my meal last night. The server was too busy talking to his hostess buddies than he was to make sure we were tended to.

That being said, I always tip 20% to servers and a buck per drink to a bartender if they're good to me.

Food for thought: shows are getting more expensive. It's going to get harder and harder to pull a tip from those of us that just paid $40 bucks for an hour and a half set by some band that, more often than not, practically phones in an entire performance.

where the hell are you going where shows are $40? i haven't paid that much for a show since i saw elvis costello and that was front row and in an intimate setting.

you can't expect any bartender to have any sympathy for you if you just paid $40 for a ticket and can't afford to put $1 for a drink in the tip jar.

Outside of punk/hardcore shows or bar shows the cost is regularly $40+. A $25 ticket is going to come out to around $40 after fees. Venues are charging $5+ for processing even if you but the tickets ahead of time at the box office.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tipped 1.50 on a 26 dollar bill for my meal last night. The server was too busy talking to his hostess buddies than he was to make sure we were tended to.

That being said, I always tip 20% to servers and a buck per drink to a bartender if they're good to me.

Food for thought: shows are getting more expensive. It's going to get harder and harder to pull a tip from those of us that just paid $40 bucks for an hour and a half set by some band that, more often than not, practically phones in an entire performance.

where the hell are you going where shows are $40? i haven't paid that much for a show since i saw elvis costello and that was front row and in an intimate setting.

you can't expect any bartender to have any sympathy for you if you just paid $40 for a ticket and can't afford to put $1 for a drink in the tip jar.

I live in Dallas. The majority of shows come to venues that charge that much.

That's cool they don't have much sympathy for me. 4 bucks for one beer sucks. I've recently started sneaking in my own alcohol. Damn the man!

I live in Dallas. The majority of shows come to venues that charge that much.

That's cool they don't have much sympathy for me. 4 bucks for one beer sucks. I've recently started sneaking in my own alcohol. Damn the man!

Ill start tipping more when they start reporting all tips to be taxed. When I worked in a restaraunt the general rule of thumb was report 25% of your cash tips to be taxed since it wasnt really traceable. Sure was nice making all that tax free money. Servers are the greediest people after stock holders.

Ill start tipping more when they start reporting all tips to be taxed. When I worked in a restaraunt the general rule of thumb was report 25% of your cash tips to be taxed since it wasnt really traceable. Sure was nice making all that tax free money. Servers are the greediest people after stock holders.

I agree if you get shitty service then minimize the tip if its that bad then forget it and tell a manager they probably shouldnt be working there if its that bad. But when i give great service and get 5% on a 50+ dollar check i get upset but do not take it out on my other tables just go on my way hoping someone will make up for it.

I agree if you get shitty service then minimize the tip if its that bad then forget it and tell a manager they probably shouldnt be working there if its that bad. But when i give great service and get 5% on a 50+ dollar check i get upset but do not take it out on my other tables just go on my way hoping someone will make up for it.

Stock holders are the greediest people? Really, anyone who holds stock in any company is greedy?

Stock holders are the greediest people? Really, anyone who holds stock in any company is greedy?

In Paraguay amongst other countries, the gratuity is included with the bill and there is no additional tip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)

We cater weddings from time to time and a couple of years ago, we did one that had 150 guests. At the end of the night when it came time for the parents to write the check, they simply wrote out the amount contracted with no additional gratuity despite saying over and over how wonderful everything was. For them, the cost of the budget itself was probably so high that they didn't feel the need to add a tip (an anomaly - they're the only ones who ever did that of any of the weddings we've done). I just laughed and shook my head as I walked off because typically we split the tip between our other chefs and our wait staff and it wasn't something to look forward to for me to have to tell them all that there would be no cream on top of them busting their asses all day.

In Paraguay amongst other countries, the gratuity is included with the bill and there is no additional tip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_(gratuity)

We cater weddings from time to time and a couple of years ago, we did one that had 150 guests. At the end of the night when it came time for the parents to write the check, they simply wrote out the amount contracted with no additional gratuity despite saying over and over how wonderful everything was. For them, the cost of the budget itself was probably so high that they didn't feel the need to add a tip (an anomaly - they're the only ones who ever did that of any of the weddings we've done). I just laughed and shook my head as I walked off because typically we split the tip between our other chefs and our wait staff and it wasn't something to look forward to for me to have to tell them all that there would be no cream on top of them busting their asses all day.