Best Halloween Movies to Watch

I think with Zombie, it's important to not view him as a hack so much as just a total fanboy. His films (and in some cases, remakes) screen like they were made by a person who grew up with dog eared stacks of Fangoria stuffed into their backback while spending hours at the video rental shop eyeing every single title on the shelf. I'm not the hugest fan of his work, but it's obvious that he loves what he does.

Adam Hudson,

I finally made it out to Wild and Woolly today. I don't go there often because I always wanna rent a bunch of stuff. They unfortunately do not have Blood Diner. I got The Burning, Sleepaway Camp, Rubber and Cherry Falls instead.

Onto all the comments about Rob Zombie. I'm not a fan of his movies as a whole, particularly House of 1000 Corpses and Halloween 2. The big exception is The Devils Rejects. I absolutely love this movie, and think it has one of the best soundtracks ever put to celluloid.

Adam Hudson,

I finally made it out to Wild and Woolly today. I don't go there often because I always wanna rent a bunch of stuff. They unfortunately do not have Blood Diner. I got The Burning, Sleepaway Camp, Rubber and Cherry Falls instead.

Onto all the comments about Rob Zombie. I'm not a fan of his movies as a whole, particularly House of 1000 Corpses and Halloween 2. The big exception is The Devils Rejects. I absolutely love this movie, and think it has one of the best soundtracks ever put to celluloid.

Shoot me your address. I'll lend you my copy.

Sleepaway Camp has the best twist ending for a slasher flick. I have Rubber in my queue on Netflix but haven't watched it yet, let me know if it's any good.

Halloween 2 was not good... I was really disappointed in 2 after watching and enjoying the 1st one so much. I need to rewatch The Devil's Rejects. I only saw it once in theaters.

Saw on IMDB Zombie is working on a new movie about a Coven of Witches who come back to life in Salem... so Hocus Pocus remake then?

this thread was a great read.. put a lot of films on my queue for the halloween season!

my two favorite horror films also happen to be two of my favorite films of all time..

american werewolf in london is by far the most watchable movie in my dvd collection. it's funny and gory and just all around awesome.

rosemary's baby is my favorite pure-horror movie. more than anything, it's just fucking creepy. jump-scares don't do anything for me.. but when a movie succeeds in seriously creeping me out, then it's a great horror movie in my book. the performances are amazing and it looks beautiful from beginning to end. might watch it again tonight.

as for rob zombie - house was definitely a deeply flawed but very entertaining movie (i mean, captain spaulding is the man.) devils rejects was fucking insane. i used to watch that film all throughout high school, but now i think my balls crawled back up into my body as i got older, cause now that film just disturbs and depresses me. i guess that means it works, right? the halloween movies were all style.. and el superbeasto was a huge fucking letdown. anyway, read an interview about his upcoming film, and i'm still excited about it. trying to remain as optimistic as possible

Rubber is obsurd, silly, completely ridiculous, very slow moving... and I loved every second of it. It's much more a movie calling out the state of the film industry than about a tire with murderous intentions from time it learns to walk (err... roll). Fan-fucking-tastic!

This was also the first time I'd seen The Burning. Lots of fun.

Has anyone ever seen the old school splatter films from the 60's - the stuff that really started it all in terms of gallons of fake blood with ridiculous titles like Blood Feast where the premise is based around a possessed demonic caterer. So good.

Oh yes! The old Hershall Gordon Lewis movies. The godfather of gore.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':bclhhfv6]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':bclhhfv6]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Watched last night

The Burning (for the millionth time)

Blood Hook (unknown to me Troma flick about a slasher fisherman, AMAZING)

Harpoon: Whale Watching Massacre (Icelandic Slasher)

Warlock (Julian Sands, not scary but great fun)

Speaking of The Burning-

If you live in Los Angeles the Beverly Cinema is showing a double feature of The Burning (1981) and Friday the 13th (1980) on the 28th and 29th of the month.

Great revival theater in LA- both movies for $9.

Just streamed the Descent 2 and it was actually pretty good. Lots of surprises...

Jumping in on the original vs Rob versions of Halloween debate, I was also pissed when I found out Zombie was remaking them, not another fucking rehash because Hollywood can't invent anything new(Footloose?).

I ended up watching the new ones and was surprised that I liked them. I just view the originals and the remakes as completely different movies and my mind is at peace.

Also watched Pet Sematary... used to love this movie as a kid. Now I don't understand why. It's not a good flick.

*All the actors are pretty terrible (except for Herman Munster)

*The score sounds like a made for TV movie

*The wife’s dead sister (honestly the scariest part of the whole movie) was played by a dude… for what reason exactly?

*The old neighbor across the street has had two terrible experiences (that we know of) with the pet sematary and STILL encourages the dad to bury the cat there.

*This whole family is torn apart and three fourths of the family will end up dead by the end of the film all because the dad didn’t want to tell his daughter their cat was hit by a car. Seriously?

Rubber is obsurd, silly, completely ridiculous, very slow moving... and I loved every second of it. It's much more a movie calling out the state of the film industry than about a tire with murderous intentions from time it learns to walk (err... roll). Fan-fucking-tastic!

This was also the first time I'd seen The Burning. Lots of fun.

Rubber was a odd but decent film.

Also watched Pet Sematary... used to love this movie as a kid. Now I don't understand why. It's not a good flick.

*All the actors are pretty terrible (except for Herman Munster)

*The score sounds like a made for TV movie

*The wife’s dead sister (honestly the scariest part of the whole movie) was played by a dude… for what reason exactly?

*The old neighbor across the street has had two terrible experiences (that we know of) with the pet sematary and STILL encourages the dad to bury the cat there.

*This whole family is torn apart and three fourths of the family will end up dead by the end of the film all because the dad didn’t want to tell his daughter their cat was hit by a car. Seriously?

cat people are crazy, man.

We watched Trick r Treat last night. I didn't think I'd be into it but it's really fun in a Creepshow vein with vignettes that tie together. Nothing incredibly original, but definitely super enjoyable.

I like Trick R' Treat because it "feels" Halloween-y. It's nothing super original, but it's a fun watch.

Has anyone else see Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon? It sounds like a straight to video WWF movie, but it's actually a pretty decently done slasher flick from the point of view of the slasher.

It's about a documentary film crew following around this guy who is a serial killer like Mike Meyers, Freddie Krueger etc... except there is nothing supernatural about them. They're just dudes who kill people and use local folklore to create this persona. They go through and explain how they set it up so the targets cars never start, and why their weapons don't work, etc. I found it really entertaining.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...