Getting Vinyl Signed

So on November 22nd, I'm going to Orlando House of Blues to see Manchester Orchestra and The Dear Hunter. I've never been to a show where I could get vinyl signed, as I just started collecting. These are the things I could get signed...

Manchester Orchestra:

Mean Everything to Nothing - Black

Like a Virgin - black

Simple Math - black

The Dear Hunter:

Act I& II - black 3xLP

Act III - white 2xLP

The Color Spectrum box set

So I'd like to get all of it signed, but... I imagine the bands would probably be frustrated trying to sign so much from one person. I'm leaving the actual vinyl at home and taking the sleeves. Should I only get so much signed? Should I get it all signed? Which albums should I get signed? I'd be cool to hear from people who go to shows and get stuff signed a lot. I know it's a random and probably lame question, but shoot away with opinions.

why are you leaving the records at home? all the cool kids get their vinyl signed and have each band member scribble all over both sides. don't ya know these things aren't made to be played, just looked at and framed for ulta cool scene points and VC cred. plus you can use the records as frisbees during the show, and toss them amongst the crowd, kind of like a beach ball at any crowded event.

Yeah. I'm probably gonna take my color spectrum box and one of my Manchester LPs. Haven't decided which yet. And lmfao. I actually listen to my records and don't want them to get warped or broken. xDDD Scene points? Scene kids don't know what vinylz izz! You're mistaking them for hipsters!

why are you leaving the records at home? all the cool kids get their vinyl signed and have each band member scribble all over both sides. don't ya know these things aren't made to be played, just looked at and framed for ulta cool scene points and VC cred. plus you can use the records as frisbees during the show, and toss them amongst the crowd, kind of like a beach ball at any crowded event.

Silver sharpie on classic black vinyl looks amazing!

Silver sharpie on classic black vinyl looks amazing!

We did this for the sign-in book at my wedding. Just getting around to framing them up.

I just got my copy of Rival Schools - United By Fate signed Monday night. Left the record and insert at home, brought the album cover in a poly sleeve in a mailer. The venue allows re-entry so I just left it in the car until after the show. I've never been one for getting an album signed, but I saw This Town Needs Guns two summers ago, meant to bring the cover to get signed, but forgot it. Still kicking myself over it, especially now that the singer quit.

If you're into getting things signed, do what you want, although I would think one album per band would be acceptable. Maybe consider which album cover would look best with signatures on it, or just go with your favorite album.

I just got my copy of Rival Schools - United By Fate signed Monday night. Left the record and insert at home, brought the album cover in a poly sleeve in a mailer. The venue allows re-entry so I just left it in the car until after the show. I've never been one for getting an album signed, but I saw This Town Needs Guns two summers ago, meant to bring the cover to get signed, but forgot it. Still kicking myself over it, especially now that the singer quit.

If you're into getting things signed, do what you want, although I would think one album per band would be acceptable. Maybe consider which album cover would look best with signatures on it, or just go with your favorite album.

Yeah, pretty much my game plan. Definitely getting The Color Spectrum. Manchester will be either Simple Math or Mean Everything. Does anyone know if either band has tour exclusives right now? :o

Agreed. Just bring them in a cardboard mailer, I think it's the best way to keep the sleeves safe.

As much as this whole thread is ridiculous, I just want to add that if you take 3 or 4 sleeves for the band to sign, these guys will make fun of you. Either they're going to mistake you for a child or think you're a douche who's just trying to flip things on eBay.

I heard an author I really respect speak one time and afterward asked if I could have him sign a copy of his book. I asked if he would just sign it (not personalize it), and he said, "You'll get more on eBay for it that way." I felt so embarrassed. I told him I wasn't going to do it but he just looked at me. I never intended to sell it and certainly haven't.

As much as this whole thread is ridiculous, I just want to add that if you take 3 or 4 sleeves for the band to sign, these guys will make fun of you. Either they're going to mistake you for a child or think you're a douche who's just trying to flip things on eBay.

I heard an author I really respect speak one time and afterward asked if I could have him sign a copy of his book. I asked if he would just sign it (not personalize it), and he said, "You'll get more on eBay for it that way." I felt so embarrassed. I told him I wasn't going to do it but he just looked at me. I never intended to sell it and certainly haven't.

shitty feeling, huh?

I'm not planning on taking four or five sleeves. I'm planning on taking one for each band. I may only be eighteen, but I still like getting stuff signed. I like pulling it off the shelf, seeing the signatures, and instantly remembering the show and seeing the band. Hell, they can personalize it if they want. I'd be getting it signed for memories, not for money. I agree that if you get stuff signed just to sell it, you're a tool. Yeah, I'd buy stuff that's signed, but not for an outrageous price. And only by bands I like a lot. Yeah, I guess getting stuff signed is for kids, but hey. I dunno. I guess I'll decide before then. Sorry for pissing people off.

I like getting stuff signed. I actually look at my signed Manic Street Preachers stuff to remind myself that yes, they actually did tour North America at some point because they never do.

I saw them in Chicago when they came through last, and since it was kind of crappy out (cold and rainy), I asked if it was okay if I brought some things to be signed the next night in Detroit. James said "bring it on! As much as you want!" and with that, I got three 12" sleeves, a 7" sleeve, cd cover, and a big ass poster signed. I took advantage of the opportunity because unlike those int he UK and the rest of Europe, North America doesn't get them that often. Before they came over in 2009, the last time they were here was 1999. Lord only knows when I'll see them again.

The way I see it is if the artist is fine with it, and you don't mind carrying things, who cares?

the signed stuff I have is mine, and aside from things I didn't get signed myself (like if I buy it already signed), I don't sell signed items. My New Found Glory signed TP and Sticks and Stones cover? Those are staying? All the signed Manics things I got signed on that '09 tour? Never leaving. See what I mean?

But whatever.

I'm not planning on taking four or five sleeves. I'm planning on taking one for each band. I may only be eighteen, but I still like getting stuff signed. I like pulling it off the shelf, seeing the signatures, and instantly remembering the show and seeing the band. Hell, they can personalize it if they want. I'd be getting it signed for memories, not for money. I agree that if you get stuff signed just to sell it, you're a tool. Yeah, I'd buy stuff that's signed, but not for an outrageous price. And only by bands I like a lot. Yeah, I guess getting stuff signed is for kids, but hey. I dunno. I guess I'll decide before then. Sorry for pissing people off.

I agree with a lot of this. It's definitely cool to have a signed album that you love. I only have 2 records that I had signed and I had them signed at a super intimate Rocky Votolato living room show at my girlfriends house. I did kinda feel like a turd getting them signed but in the end I'm glad that I did it.

When it comes down to it you should do whatever makes you happy and not worry about what other people or even what the band thinks of you. They're your records and if they're annoyed that you want them to sign them, then maybe they're just shitty people.

And as for people who flip that shit on ebay... maybe if there wasn't so many crazy fan boy collectors who need everything and more a band does it could be a little more personal for a band to sign a record for a fan.

Thanks, the two people who posted above me. You guys made me feel like less of a tool for wanting to get stuff signed. :P I mean, I love having signed stuff, but I guess I'd rather not annoy a band that I like. I've loved The Dear Hunter, and the Acts are one of the first sets I got when I started collecting. I recently got into Manchester, but yeah. House of Blues is a pretty big venue (or I assume it is), so it won't be too personal. I wish it was. I love those kinda shows. I'll probably take Mean Everything and my Color Spectrum box and see how it feels after the show. Some of my friends wanna get stuff signed too. We're all into the same stuff and don't get to go to see bands like this too often. We're usually stuck seeing local shitty bands.

i like getting things signed. it's like having an artist sign a painting, or a screen print. the music is still a work of art, and while they didn't physically make it themselves, the final product is still what comes of their hard work, and it's something that they could be proud enough to put their signature(s) on. granted you look a little more dorky when it's a smaller band, when they probably aren't asked for autographs that much, but hey, if a friend of mine made a piece of art and gave it to me, i would hope they'd sign it for me.

whether or not you agree with me, that's fine. but that's how i feel. go for it, bring as many records as you like. i've never met any musicians who weren't graceful about signing things. we've all been there, regardless of whether or not you've grown out of it.

i like getting things signed. it's like having an artist sign a painting, or a screen print. the music is still a work of art, and while they didn't physically make it themselves, the final product is still what comes of their hard work, and it's something that they could be proud enough to put their signature(s) on. granted you look a little more dorky when it's a smaller band, when they probably aren't asked for autographs that much, but hey, if a friend of mine made a piece of art and gave it to me, i would hope they'd sign it for me.

whether or not you agree with me, that's fine. but that's how i feel. go for it, bring as many records as you like. i've never met any musicians who weren't graceful about signing things. we've all been there, regardless of whether or not you've grown out of it.

Yeah, I've never met a musician who wasn't happy about signing something, or didn't at least seem like it, either.