American Horror Story **SPOILERS**

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had to avoid this thread like the plague yesterday since I didn't get a chance to watch the episode Wednesday night. I caught up last night and wasn't disapointed. Great episode.

However, a few things bothered me.

So McDerpDerp is talking to the exterminator about a quote and sends him under the house never to be seen again. No one cares. One minute McDerpDerp is asking for a quote the next he is getting out of the shower only to be attacked by Tate. Is no one looking for the exterminator? Didn't he drive some sort of vehicle to the house for the job. Presumably full of chemicals and bug killing equipment. It's gotta be just sitting parked on the street. Just the fact that he was sort of "forgotten" bugs me. Plus, will he now become a permant fixture of the house? Another soul to add to the collection?

Also, let's talk about McDerpDerp's towel. Was that thing welded on? I'm not saying I need any more ass shots from him this season, because I don't. But who get's into a fight with a supernatural psycho in a rubber suit and DOESN'T lose their towel as their being thrown around the room.

All in all I kind of saw the big reveal coming, but they still did a good job with it.

I think what sets a character like Spike apart from Tate is that while Spike was at one point completely evil - he was without a soul and even for a number of years when he was doing good things thanks to the chip in his head, actively went out of his way to get his soul back (albeit for partially selfish reasons, but nonetheless). Even before getting fangs, he was depicted as a sensitive and inherently good person. We don't see that any of that in the back story (at least not yet anyway) with Tate. We're led to believe that there's never had all that much good in him to begin with and even in the present moment, his goodness seems like a ruse in the face of all the killing that he does - granted like any mass killer, he'll have his reasons (knocking off one couple to ensure a new one moves in for the sake of bringing forth a baby, not letting the exterminator clue anyone in on what he found in the crawlspace, etc) but atleast to me, I see a large difference between him and characters like Spike that makes him wholly unredeemable.

I had to avoid this thread like the plague yesterday since I didn't get a chance to watch the episode Wednesday night. I caught up last night and wasn't disapointed. Great episode.

However, a few things bothered me.

So McDerpDerp is talking to the exterminator about a quote and sends him under the house never to be seen again. No one cares. One minute McDerpDerp is asking for a quote the next he is getting out of the shower only to be attacked by Tate. Is no one looking for the exterminator? Didn't he drive some sort of vehicle to the house for the job. Presumably full of chemicals and bug killing equipment. It's gotta be just sitting parked on the street. Just the fact that he was sort of "forgotten" bugs me. Plus, will he now become a permant fixture of the house? Another soul to add to the collection?

Also, let's talk about McDerpDerp's towel. Was that thing welded on? I'm not saying I need any more ass shots from him this season, because I don't. But who get's into a fight with a supernatural psycho in a rubber suit and DOESN'T lose their towel as their being thrown around the room.

All in all I kind of saw the big reveal coming, but they still did a good job with it.

ahahaha i wondered these same things. i am, however, willing to suspend my disbelief completely for this show. i think the whole towel thing just makes everything that happens on this show even more amusing.

I think what sets a character like Spike apart from Tate is that while Spike was at one point completely evil - he was without a soul and even for a number of years when he was doing good things thanks to the chip in his head, actively went out of his way to get his soul back (albeit for partially selfish reasons, but nonetheless). Even before getting fangs, he was depicted as a sensitive and inherently good person. We don't see that any of that in the back story (at least not yet anyway) with Tate. We're led to believe that there's never had all that much good in him to begin with and even in the present moment, his goodness seems like a ruse in the face of all the killing that he does - granted like any mass killer, he'll have his reasons (knocking off one couple to ensure a new one moves in for the sake of bringing forth a baby, not letting the exterminator clue anyone in on what he found in the crawlspace, etc) but atleast to me, I see a large difference between him and characters like Spike that makes him wholly unredeemable.

i see what you're saying about spike, and he was probably a bad example. i think tate was maybe just an angsty teenager gone awry. i mean, with crazy caustic constance (teehee - alliteration!)as your mom and surrounded by bizarre siblings and ghosts, i think i'd be a little disturbed also. he obviously cared about his brother beau that larry murdered (or maybe just that he was wrongly murdered in cold blood), and addie, too.

yeah, he raped and killed people, but he always had a twisted 'good' reason for doing it - like wanting to give whatshername a child, or to stop them from finding violet's body. he's kind of like dexter solely because he thinks he's justified in doing what he's doing, even though it's wrong. the means justifies the end and all that jazz.

No no, not a bad example - I get the comparison (I'm sorry for coming off terse in what I wrote there - I'm running on half the number of hours of sleep I get usually and figured going to a message board to communicate thoughts was a decent idea, hahah) and in a lot of ways the two parallel. In ultimate stupid Buffy nerdism though, I differentiated the two due to one having a soul and not the other, though my idea goes right out the window when considering that Angel had a soul and has killed countless folks bad, good and ambiguous in the name of the means justifying the ends and the 'greater good'. I can see what you mean about Tate as being angst gone bad - obviously he's still 17 and will forever think in a more childish mind set that isn't all that long term ("Gee, how WILL my girlfriend react to me knocking her mom up?").

yeah, he raped and killed people, but he always had a twisted 'good' reason for doing it

Then there was that whole high school incident...

Or did they give more of an explanation for that? I thought they made it seem like there was no real cause for it or why he chose them, but so much shit has happened I'm starting to lose track.

yeah, he raped and killed people, but he always had a twisted 'good' reason for doing it

Then there was that whole high school incident...

Or did they give more of an explanation for that? I thought they made it seem like there was no real cause for it or why he chose them, but so much shit has happened I'm starting to lose track.

i think he talked about (in the beginning of the season, in his sessions with mcderpderp) how absolutely shitty and awful the world was and how he would actually be saving them from it all by killing them.

so again with the twisted teenage/goth logic.

Tate has been a really interesting character for me to watch this season. I dislike him, and think he is evil, but I really love how different people react to him. I've had this conversation with a few women at work who all generally feel like he is just a misunderstood romantic guy who does questionable things to try and "save" the people he cares about. The men, including myself all take the opposite position = the dude is a monster.

When in doubt think back to the school shooting, when that girl is hiding under the table pissing herself because she knows Tate is going to kill her. Thats not romantic, its just plain sick.

Just the fact that he was sort of "forgotten" bugs me.

MY SIDES! OMGLALALLALLOLLLLLJAAAAAJAJAAJ

but yeah, i've been ignoring this thread too, because i didn't catch up on this till last night.

not too surprised about the violet thing, tho i was hoping her dad was a little smarter than that.

he's really fucking oblivious to everything, eh?

Just the fact that he was sort of "forgotten" bugs me.

MY SIDES! OMGLALALLALLOLLLLLJAAAAAJAJAAJ

but yeah, i've been ignoring this thread too, because i didn't catch up on this till last night.

not too surprised about the violet thing, tho i was hoping her dad was a little smarter than that.

he's really fucking oblivious to everything, eh?

I'm glad somebody appreciated that.

Torn? Really?

Tate is a complete and total psycho. How do you think Violet is going to react when she realizes that she's stuck in this stupid house for all of eternity with a mass murderer who raped her Mom?

I'm going to guess... not well.

2 MUCH LUV 4 TATE.

you can't tell me you're not rooting for dexter. or patrick bateman in american psycho. or spike in buffy. ok, it's probably just me that has a love affair with spike.

edit:

OH, OR WALTER WHITE!

Actually. I would tell you that. At this point in the 6th season of Dexter I've grown a bit tired of the formula. I think the show has gone on far too long and any ending they can come up with now will just be disappointing or mildly entertaining at best.

As for Breaking Bad... That last season finale was definitely intense but as for Walt's character? He's taken the situation way too far. What he has put his family through and what they will eventually be forced to deal with as a result of his actions is much worse than what would have happened if he'd died from cancer and left them with a huge pile of medical bills. His attempt to save them from that fate has only saddled them with a shittier one.

But I do like Patrick Bateman. I will give you that one but only because I have a man crush on Christian Bale ;)

This is so balls. How many characters can they introduce? There's like 50 characters to keep track of now.

It's so fucked. They introduce the girl from the Black Dahlia murders and she doesn't even know she's dead?? She's been dead for like 60+ years and she's just now learning this fact from someone who's been dead for a couple weeks?

Does anyone have $5 million that I can borrow? I'll let you stay @ my house for free during the repayment period. I promise.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-american-horror-story-house-really-is-for-sale,66519/

"Though the pilot was filmed inside this location, episodes since then have been shot at an exact replica, meaning the original house remains relatively unsullied by all the horrors of the past season. (It's definitely got less psychological baggage than R. Kelly's place.) Also, American Horror Story is a television series, and even if they were real and living in the actual house, ghosts cannot kill or rape people. Don't be dumb."