Records So Cheap It's Like You Stole Them

kriss

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

how much does that 10" go for usually nowadays? Picked up a copy of it on white for $10 several years back at a record shop.

Haven't seen it under 40 for some time. Usually goes for 50+ since everyone seems to have a huge boner for anything Mars Volta related on a platter.

I actually have a story really similar to Jeff's in terms of buying someone's large collection. The dude was moving out of town and just trying to liquidate his stuff immediately and ended up giving me around 50 LP's for what amounted to about $4 a piece - stuff like Blink's Enema and Dude Ranch, Say Anything Is A Real Boy sealed, everything Jack White has seemingly ever done (including the triple gatefold Raconteurs), The Blue and Green albums by Weezer, Stink by The Replacements, the entire Murder By Death discography (including the Who Will Survive 2x10") etc. I seriously made off with a ton of great stuff.

Even though the total haul for all 50 or so records was something like $200, I only paid half of it in cash as I bartered the other half in meals (he had recently gone vegan and wanted food for convenience in the last week before he moved, so jumped at my offer when I told him I was a vegan chef).

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn... How did you find out about this?

I typically troll through CL looking for deals and for the most part, only see listings for old polka records and musicals, but every once in awhile, I'll come across a listing with stuff like this - found another one a month or so ago and dropped $30 on 10 or so records that included the likes of The Kinks, Captain Beefheart, various garage punk compilations, etc.

Brand New - Deja Entendu, first press. I worked at a record store when this came out and bought it using my discount - ~$8-9. Still have it.

The Bronx - S/T for about $10-12 at Amoeba in LA

The Early November - The Room's Too Cold for $6 during DTR's holiday clearance sale many years ago

Mastodon 9xLP boxset - $100 on ebay

Portugal. the Man - The Pines/The Devil 7". These were just freebies at the record store I worked at. I had ~5 of them at one point. Gave all but one away to friends.

I worked a show at the Slowdown in Omaha, NE last year. The venue is attached to Saddle Creek's warehouse. I was allowed to go in and buy things at cost. Records ran about $5-6 each. I bought a handful of stuff.

It's hard to remember all of the deals I've gotten but here are a few that stick out:

Thursday - War All the Time - $3.98 on clearance at Hot Topic

AFI - Nitro Years - $3.98 clearance at Hot Topic

Hum - Downward is Heavenward - $10 sealed at Recycled

Alkaline Trio - Private Eye pic disc $4 at waterloo records

Alklaine Trio - Stupid Kid pic disc $4 at waterloo (both sealed)

None More Black - S/T 7" FREE (dude I did a record trade with threw it in free for taking a while to ship)

Saves the Day - Can't Slow Down $9 at Mad World records

No Use for a Name - first 7" $6 at End of an Ear Records

For awhile, Evergreen Terrace's Blowing Chunks 7" was in every clearance bin of HT apparently but for awhile, it's been harder to find with the only one available having a BIN of $40. A friend of mine found a copy for $2 in a record shop in Jackson and just mailed it up to me. Kinda stoked to get it.

some things off the top of my head,

most of my rancid test pressing i got for next to nothing

my nofx frisbee bonus 7" was essentially free with the pre-order and its the copper version...saw one on ebay once sell for around $600

not a record...but i bought the baxter discography cd in the .99 bin and sold it for $150+

I've gotten allot. There's a shop near me that just prices things randomly. Here's some stuff I've found there:

At The Drive In - Vaya $6

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm 1st press $8

Flake Music - When You Land Here $8

Pixies - Come on Pilgrim $8 1st press

Here are some others:

Saves The Day - Through Being Cool $10 (Craigslist)

Trail Of Dead - Source Tags & Codes $7 (record swap)

Bright Eyes - Fever & Mirrors og press $12

ATDI/Aasee Lake split $5 (ebay)

Samhain - November Coming Fire $11

Blur - 13 2xlp $16

But these are my best two:

Came across a eBay listing for Bad Religion's 1st 7", 1st press. I could kinda tell by the listing that whoever it was didn't really have much clue what they had. I messaged them and offered $50 off eBay and they accepted. Goes for $200-$400 on the bay usually.

Was at a record swap and found a Metallica promo for in a DJ sleeve for $1. Hocked it on eBay and it went for over $200.

Also this is not record related but pretty sweet. Was in a salvation army and found a box of 2-track tapes, about 60 of them. It was all Frank Sinatra kind of music. The lady sold me the entire box for $4. I threw it on the bay expecting maybe like $50 and it went for like $425.

Ah crap - one of my favorite stories was when Mellie and I went to NJ last year to see her family at Christmas. There's a record shop up near her mom's house in a plaza where the neighborhood's grocery store is and we popped in for a few minutes. Within ten minutes of being there, I'd found sealed copies of the Joey Ramone solo record as well as The Ramones' Adios Amigos. Both were sealed for $12 (Adios Amigos typically goes for over $120 most every time it pops up). The guy told me the record had most likely been sitting there since '95 when it came out.

Hum - Downward is Heavenward - $10 sealed at Recycled

Goddamn that's awesome.

Indeed. I had to throw down $50 to snag this album from some guy on ebay who worked for Parasol (on old Champaign, IL distro) who was clearly selling them one at a time on ebay for a hefty profit. Totally worth it too.

Last week I got a Johnny Cash LP at a flea market for 1 euro and ten minutes later I saw it in a recordstore for 7 euro, what a score!

Haha, but yeah I buy a lot of collections and lots. I'm still super pissed I missed out on a lot of 10 ep's including early press of Pick yur king, Mob 47 ep and 8 other gems. Some dude offered 10 euro more then my ridiculous low offer so the guy sold to him. I'd easily would have doubled my offer if he'd let me know. Arrrgghhhh.

The best is when people sell records but they don't want to bother to make a list, or they just list a few online. You should always offer to go to their house and come pick stuff up. Ofcourse you should check their whole house for good deals.

I've also got less than Jakes - mouldy cheese, and mouldy birthday cake. I paid $10 for each of them about 12 years ago and was pissed off I paid that much. Now they sell for about $130

both the moldy cheese and cake were a fluke. yes, they sold for that 1 time, but every other time they sold for 45-55 bucks each. yeah 50 bucks is still alot but nowhere close to the 128 they sold for earlier this year.

I used to have a column on my vinyl list with all the prices i paid, so here are a few i pulled out that i thought were good deals... im sure there are alot more.

ATDI - relationship of command LP ($18 off gemm)

Lawrence arms - apathy LP on green vinyl ($8ppd GreenNoise used bin)

Ben Weasel - fidatevi TEST Press ($6 Doctor Strange used bin)

Screeching Wesael - Boogada LP + How to make enemies LP Test Presses (Ebay for $42ppd for both)

Broadways - We All Know That You Can Do It 7" ($4.99)

Donuts N Glory - I Can Pee EP 7" ($3.00 for old VC user)

Jawbreaker - Fireman EP 7" was thrown in for free when i bought a Jawbox split from a guy on ebay for $8.00 (not bad for both records)

Ten Foot Pole - Insider LP Test Press (ebay $16ppd)

Lawrence Arms - The Greatest Story Ever Told LP Burgandy vinyl (not a steal but still 36ppd from an old VC user)

Less Than Jake - Rock-N-Roll Pizzeria 7" Black W/ Pizza Box [/1000] ($6 used bin in Gainesville)

Satanic Surfers - Hero of our time LP on orange vinyl (used bin in gainesville for $5)

Millencolin - Same Old Tunes LP Black (amazon.com find for $15 - sells for like $50-70 usually)

Satanic Surfers / Seven Hate - Born To Skate EP 7" White vinyl ($16ppd - this was my white whale so 16 bucks for it was killer!)

Teenage Bottlerocket - Live in '06 LP Black Screen Printed B-Side (used bin for $5.99)

I have gotten a ton of NOFX releases for cheap but the best deals were:

NOFX - 22 Songs... LP on orange vinyl (ebay BIN for $20ppd - i sold this a year back for 425ppd)

NOFX - So what we are on mystic 7" on blue vinyl (bought a lot of records for about 30ppd and got this, propagandhi 10", and AFI - fly in the ointment 7" on orange vinyl, plus like 4 other common 7"s)