Good 'Skramz' Bands?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like all those Tom Schlatter or (You & I) Related bands, You & I, The Assistant, Welcome THe Plague Year, In first Person, Wrong Day to Quit, This Ship Will Sink

Also you can check out these if interested, I got alot of the old CDs and maybe some records still lying around if you are interested.

Saetia, Hot Cross (Cryonics) and everything before, Utarid, Funeral Diner, Saetia, Das Oath, Verse En Coma(Great Band), Love Lost, But not Forgotten, Death of Anna Karina, Orchid, A Fine Boat, That Coffin, Am I Dead Yet?, I Hate Myself, Ampere, Dispensing of False Halos.

Basically Just go check out the old Level Plane Records Line up and go from there.

Despite being a big fan of most of the bands mentioned in this thread, I completely agree with the Skramz naysayers. It is quite possibly the worst genre description ever created. Worse than emo, which is pretty goofy as well.

In fact, for the longest time, I thought that "skramz" was the term given to all the lame nu-metal / hot topic emo bands out there. I assumed, "it sounds super-dumb ... it must refer to super-dumb bands."

I eventually figured it out, but I don't care; the bands mentioned in this thread are emo / punk / hardcore, and I will continue to refer to outfits like Story of the Year "skramz."

C'mon kids ... let's all join together and do something for the good of music. Through a little hard work and clever marketing, we'll carefully extract emo from the nasty skramz designation and totally re-tag a separate sect of bands. And when Seventeen Magazine finally comes out with their "Am I Skramz?" article, our work will be done.

I don't know why everyone's getting so up in arms about labels. It's not a big deal. Skramz was a term coined by fans of the current real screamo scene (Loma Prieta, Ampere, etc) to differentiate these bands from bands like Hawthorne Heights and The Used that the public now refers to as screamo. When you "continue to refer to outfits like Story of the Year as skramz" you're not proving a point or opposing anything. You're taking a term that was invented to differentiate between two groups of bands and using it to refer to the wrong group. I'm not being a douche, just clarifying.

Yeah, the word sounds silly, but who cares? It serves its purpose.

When we get into debates on what is "real-this" or "real-that" and then create new genre terms solely for the purpose that we can differentiate between what we deem cool vs. what we deem not when there really is no real difference, well, then we're pretentious elitist douches who probably belong in the frat house as opposed to the concert hall.

It's a terrible term and all I've heard is that it's been invented so that someone can say what's real and what's not and that is simply lame as shit.

When we get into debates on what is "real-this" or "real-that" and then create new genre terms solely for the purpose that we can differentiate between what we deem cool vs. what we deem not when there really is no real difference, well, then we're pretentious elitist douches who probably belong in the frat house as opposed to the concert hall.

It's a terrible term and all I've heard is that it's been invented so that someone can say what's real and what's not and that is simply lame as shit.

I like all those Tom Schlatter or (You & I) Related bands, You & I, The Assistant, Welcome THe Plague Year, In first Person, Wrong Day to Quit, This Ship Will Sink

Also you can check out these if interested, I got alot of the old CDs and maybe some records still lying around if you are interested.

Saetia, Hot Cross (Cryonics) and everything before, Utarid, Funeral Diner, Saetia, Das Oath, Verse En Coma(Great Band), Love Lost, But not Forgotten, Death of Anna Karina, Orchid, A Fine Boat, That Coffin, Am I Dead Yet?, I Hate Myself, Ampere, Dispensing of False Halos.

Basically Just go check out the old Level Plane Records Line up and go from there.

recordhound i hated you until this post. are you into black kites?

Also, went digging through my 7"s and found one that I was given about 8 years ago from an Atlanta band called Coulier. Saw them at Under The Couch and they were great - really nice and screamy, flailing stuff like what the kids are now calling skramz - Stickfigure still has copies after all this time somehow with mp3 samples to boot - http://www.stickfigurerecordings.com/release_page.php?release_id=177

The point isn't as much about real vs. fake screamo as it is that the two sound nothing alike. Much like "Hardcore" is "Hardcore Punk" the term is used to separate the two. Same with "Emo" is "Emotional Hardcore."

For all you Tom Schlatter nerds the You & I repress is still available. And his new band Less Life has an LP out that is worth checking out.

http://howsoonisnow.storenvy.com/

For all you Tom Schlatter nerds the You & I repress is still available. And his new band Less Life has an LP out that is worth checking out.

You & I & Less Life ? ohhhhh. ok. cool. thank you for that info. did not know this.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that i am a big big black kites fan, just picked up on them like a year ago and love that shit!!!!

i don't know which is the worst genre name: djent or skramz.

what is djent? i have never heard anyone use that term.

Djent is supposed to represent bands that sound like Meshuggah. i just think it is the dumbest name ever, but apparently it's named after a chord Meshuggah used in a lot of their songs.

this thread accidentally got me onto an old school emo kick where I've been playing all of my old 45's by Planes Mistaken For Stars, Kerosene 454, etc - fiending after more 45's of old school emo/screamo/post hardcore/skramz/whatever the heck it's called so if anyone has any they're unloading for a reasonable price, let me know. Thinking about biting the bullet and pulling an order over at Ebullition.

• 4 months later...

I know quite a lot of bands through friends and such, but I don't really know where to start, with this genre. I like what I hear though.

Can you please recommend the "classics" or "staples" of this genres, not only band names but ALBUMS or EPs. The classics. I know the entire Suis La Lune discography, which is what got me into this genre. and jeromes dream discog and CTTS.

so, please. Which are the greatest albums or eps, to start with? What is consider classics?