So this shit is what its come to...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, but to think that labels (and/or) flippers are doing it to only spread the good word of music is asinine.

Labels are a business (for the most part). Sure there are some that repress records because nobody else will, but most repress them to make more money. If it was already pressed, then most of the work is already done. AKA higher profit margin.

Greed is even more apparent when the represses are in a multitude of colors. See every A3 repress.

[image]

You're out of your element.

This is not greed. This is running a business. This is paying the bills. This is bands making money off a record so they can lose money on tour. This is Asian Man Records pressing a shit ton of Alkaline Trio records so they can put out albums by COQUETTISH, THE HOT TODDIES, KOREA GIRL, MONKEY, PEACOCKS, SHINOBU, WARDOGS. This is a label pressing 2,000 records so people don't have to spend $60 on an OG copy. This is people trying to sell a physical product when an album was downloaded illegally 1,000,000 times. This is in response to people in Portugal, Brazil, and Japan putting out bootleg copies.

Completely. If not, tell me why the Sublime LP's are suddenly being repressed.

Its a record labels job to make their band's releases available to anyone who wants them. Record labels are businesses, they need to make some money to keep putting out new records and if they have something in their catalog that can help them make more money then they should probably repress it.

Yeah, but the thing is... many labels don't repress what should be repressed! Or should I say, records that have a high demand and are being sold for more money than someone should have to pay... even if you got into the band years after it sold out, OR even just getting into obtaining vinyl. So yeah, it is a labels (only active labels of course) duty to browse on Ebay and other sites to see just how much demand there is and how much people are dropping on them. Some people just want a damn copy, whether it be an OG or repress, but you can't please everyone I guess...

So just to clear this up;

All of you people would love it if you could walk into any single record store (like hot fucking tropic) and purchase any piece of vinyl ever made, right? That would be bliss?

Why would you not want this? Is your sense of elitism so strong that no one else should be allowed to own what you own? Shit, man, I think you're out-assholing nips with this thread, and that's saying something.

[image]

no, but seriously - I don't care what a label's intentions are, if they can get a copy of an otherwise $75 to $100 record in my hands for a fraction of that, I'm happy.

And honestly, what would be so wrong with walking into a well stocked record store with copies of anything I've ever wanted. It's like LL is saying we shouldn't have easy access to said records - so which is it you're wanting? Us to refuse the flipper who wants X amount for an OG copy or the label who wants to re-press said record and sell it for a reasonable price? Both options are clearly being looked down upon here so it almost seems that you're saying unless we were there to buy the record when it FIRST DROPS, we should be content to not have it at all.

All of you people would love it if you could walk into any single record store (like hot fucking tropic) and purchase any piece of vinyl ever made, right? That would be bliss?

Well clearly this type of store cannot exist. The turnover would be so low and your inventory costs would be so high that you'd barely make any money.

However, I can't tell you how many times I've spent a good deal of time (hours upon hours) looking through EVERY record a store has and I cannot find ONE damn record that I would even consider purchasing.

Well clearly this type of store cannot exist. The turnover would be so low and your inventory costs would be so high that you'd barely make any money.

However, I can't tell you how many times I've spent a good deal of time (hours upon hours) looking through EVERY record a store has and I cannot find ONE damn record that I would even consider purchasing.

See, I like searching for records. I go to record swaps and stores and occasionally even eBay to look for something that isn't in every mall in america. Most of the time I don't find what I was looking for but buy something that I hadn't even heard of.

I guess that's the difference between me and "the 99%" here. Most of the fun I have collecting records is trying to find them. Once you do, it makes that record even more enjoyable and rewarding.

I can understand this sentiment as I think maybe a dozen records in my collection were purchased at a Hot Topic (and that's a liberal estimate I'm sure) - my record hunting habits are very much in line with your's but the thing is, there are often times records that the majority of folks who own OG presses of will never let go of so finding them used in swaps/stores is extremely rare and finding them on eBay is extremely pricey - by admitting that you use eBay, I'm assuming you don't mind paying top price for rare stuff which of course is one vote towards the spectrum of flippers and that's fine, but some folks may not have the fundage to pay 60+ for every record they want, so if a label re-issues something that they know several hundred people are going after, everyone wins - punter gets the record, label gets the money.

I've never understood the whole argument that record labels are greedy and the second hand/used marketplace is the more viable option when both hubs are both ultimately after the green. Atleast with a label re-issuing or repressing a record, they're offering it at a fair price - if anything, I think the second hand market is greedier in that some participants get angry that a record they could have gotten 100 for goes for less because the label had the 'audacity' to press another run, thus lowering the value of what they can get from it. At the end of the day, too many folks are forgetting that records are ultimately about listening and not about fetishizing.

Completely. If not, tell me why the Sublime LP's are suddenly being repressed.

Your parents need to ground you for being stupid.

Labels are in THE BUSINESS SELLING RECORDS. They exist solely to manufacture and distribute records and CDs. When they run out, they make more because people will buy them.

I'm sorry if that somehow goes against your theory that they should be one time collectibles and never made again but someone needs to slap the stupid out of you.

I can understand this sentiment as I think maybe a dozen records in my collection were purchased at a Hot Topic (and that's a liberal estimate I'm sure) - my record hunting habits are very much in line with your's but the thing is, there are often times records that the majority of folks who own OG presses of will never let go of so finding them used in swaps/stores is extremely rare and finding them on eBay is extremely pricey - by admitting that you use eBay, I'm assuming you don't mind paying top price for rare stuff which of course is one vote towards the spectrum of flippers and that's fine, but some folks may not have the fundage to pay 60+ for every record they want, so if a label re-issues something that they know several hundred people are going after, everyone wins - punter gets the record, label gets the money.

I've never understood the whole argument that record labels are greedy and the second hand/used marketplace is the more viable option when both hubs are both ultimately after the green. Atleast with a label re-issuing or repressing a record, they're offering it at a fair price - if anything, I think the second hand market is greedier in that some participants get angry that a record they could have gotten 100 for goes for less because the label had the 'audacity' to press another run, thus lowering the value of what they can get from it. At the end of the day, too many folks are forgetting that records are ultimately about listening and not about fetishizing.

Holy shit, a reasonable voice.

This is precisely why I miss the good ol days of ebay auctions. You had the chance of picking up a $60 record for $10. Same goes for hunting in record bins. Some shops don't know what they have or don't care to find out.

My white whale is the Rocket Pack 7" from RFTC. When it does appear on ebay once every year or two, it ends up selling for well over $1000. I'm not willing to pay that much, but that's just me. Do I wish for a repress? Absolutely not. I'd rather find one in a bin 10 years from now instead of finding 50 in each bin next week.

To open an new can of worms, I like how Fat re-releases one record at a time but don't get the Lagwagon box set or the NOFX/BR represses on Epitaph.

Sharpen your pitchforks and light the torches.