Black marker on a barcode means promo?

yoonah

You will need to test these on your turntable against normal copies. The promo copies are higher quality because they are trying to get people to buy the album. A lot of Amazon sellers put a mark on the bar code to trick buyers into thinking they are promo which are more valuable, but are actually just regular copies with a mark on them. That or this is a used copy and the sealer shrink wrapped an old copy, also a common practice on amazon because most people don't realize it costs 1 cent to shrink wrap a record.

You will need to test these on your turntable against normal copies. The promo copies are higher quality because they are trying to get people to buy the album. A lot of Amazon sellers put a mark on the bar code to trick buyers into thinking they are promo which are more valuable, but are actually just regular copies with a mark on them. That or this is a used copy and the sealer shrink wrapped an old copy, also a common practice on amazon because most people don't realize it costs 1 cent to shrink wrap a record.

what..its a record. pretty sure they are made from the same plates

i couldnt care less if a record i have has a mark over a barcode or not. Its still the same record, with the same music, etc.

HOWEVER. i would be a dick to the seller just on principle if they specifically sold it as new, and didnt mention it. Just because they obviously know of the issue, and dont mention it, and try to say its a new store copy.

normally id love to make fun of threads like these, and really, people should stop caring about what the sleeve looks like, or whether everything is in perfect condition.

but this time i gotta agree with the buyer. dude got it for free, and still claimed it was new and dint mention it. report him just for shits and giggles.

i couldnt care less if a record i have has a mark over a barcode or not. Its still the same record, with the same music, etc.

HOWEVER. i would be a dick to the seller just on principle if they specifically sold it as new, and didnt mention it. Just because they obviously know of the issue, and dont mention it, and try to say its a new store copy.

normally id love to make fun of threads like these, and really, people should stop caring about what the sleeve looks like, or whether everything is in perfect condition.

but this time i gotta agree with the buyer. dude got it for free, and still claimed it was new and dint mention it. report him just for shits and giggles.

I really care nothing but music itself. Never use plastic sleeves for a extra protection. But not this time. The seller keeps lying to me. I need to get some refund. :D

This is the first time that I have seen the sharpie through the barcode on an lp. I know on cds it is a common thing, but usually on a record you see the corner cut, the golden stamp, or a hole through the corner.

Was that an original of the Pantera or one of the new represses?

someone was selling a promo record on ebay and he listed it as a promo LP. when i asked what the difference was from a regular one, he said it just had the sharpie through the bar code but everything else was the same.

Yea basically the same as a hole punch in the barcode. These are promos.

Wow, thanks. The seller just lied to me. He replied me like this.

"that is made for the record label so the item is

not re-sell is not a promo copy"

There's no difference between these and retail copies. Labels do this to albums they "give out" so people can't resell them. I have about 45-50 sealed CDs I got from my A&R back in the day of various label-mates' albums. They're the exact same thing as the retail copies, just have fucked up barcodes so I can't sell them. Not that I could sell a CD to a person in 2011 anyways.

You're all good man. Don't sweat this at all.