Japanese and Korean HC

kriss

Lately I've been sorta obsessed with Japanese and Korean HC and I'd like to dig more. So far I've found stuff by the likes of Gauze, Assfort, Acrostix, Dudman, Face of Change, The Geeks, Naiad, etc but I'd like more. Recommendations? Preferably old school or thrashier stuff (Face of Change sound like 7 Seconds, The Geeks have more of a youth crew sound, Dudman are almost grind and Naiad sound somewhat like early, early .hopesfall)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already fairly huge into Japanese garage - Teengenerate, Permanent Voltage, The 5, 6, 7, 8's, etc. My main vice musically over the last couple of years has been all things garage any way (the Japanese volume in the Girls In The Garage series is excellent as well) but over the last few weeks, I've been listening to way more old school hardcore for some reason so I'm turning my attention over to that for the moment to get a good solid collection of Japanese bands in that genre built up on my shelf.

here is a basic list of essential Japanese hardcore:

GISM

Gauze

Lip Cream

Nightmare

Death Side

Tetsu-Arei

The Stalin

Kuro

Gastunk

Systematic Death

Bastard

start with these and a whole world of amazing hc is there to be explored. i didn't mention any bands that originated in the past 20 years so there is a lot more. but this is a good start

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone - I've checked out Balzac and really enjoy the Atom-Age Vampire In 308 7" - it's much sloppier than the Misfits and definitely has an old school hc feel to it in a way that I really, really enjoy.

Have heard OF The Stalin, Systematic Death and Bastard but not yet HEARD them - will get on that asap - I've been mainly picking off any that I find in the shops around here with a moderate degree of luck.

Will definitely check out King Ly Chee, thanks for the suggestion Yu, I was hoping you'd have something to suggest! :)

Here are some more hc/thrash/other type bands

D-clone

Crow

Smash Detox

Framtid

Slang

Assfort

Slight Slappers

Chainsaw

Boredoms - more avant-garde type stuff. like naked city.

Melt Banana

Fuck on the Beach

Unholy Grave

The Gaia - All girl group i think. i can't remember. i hard them on a cd comp and was impressed.

there are tons more, but i cant think of any off the top of my head except these.

As I continue to dig, I keep finding more and more stuff - I think what I love the most about Japanese HC in particular is how it just got crazier and crazier as time went on as opposed to the metalcore mess that America started succumbing to in the 90's. Listening to a Jellyroll Rockheads record I picked up today - so fast and so good!

As I continue to dig, I keep finding more and more stuff - I think what I love the most about Japanese HC in particular is how it just got crazier and crazier as time went on as opposed to the metalcore mess that America started succumbing to in the 90's. Listening to a Jellyroll Rockheads record I picked up today - so fast and so good!

Good choice with the Jellyroll Rockheads...

Saw D-Clone last year and they tore the shit up....... probably one of my favorite CIT shows

there seriously are tons of japanese hardcore bands.. like a ton over the years.

always look for DIS bands and usually they are japanese. ex: Disclose

who are awesome by the way.

Really digging The Gaia! Thanks for the list Mike - I actually just grabbed a split 7" with them on one side along with a 7" by another Japanese HC band called Exclaim off of Discogs for a couple bucks a piece. I'm still digging and I've found a couple of other bands, but I'll have to nab them before I report here lest anyone get to them before I do!

Just noticed also that you put the Boredoms on yr list - I have their Soul Discharge LP as well as a few of Yoshimi's solo 7"s and while that stuff is more than awesome, I always thought they were more in line with the Japanoise scene - seems quite a few folks place them in either or though.

you know no one on this forum is gonna be nabbing japanese hc/punk/rnr anytime soon. so there's really no need to be secretive of what you plan to buy. only maybe a handful of people on this board really listen to it on a regular basis.

oh and a few other bands i forgot:

Bastard

Isterismo

places to look:

PRANK

HG FACT label (more for reference)

Six Weeks

Havoc

625 Thrashcore

Slap A Ham (more for reference)

theres tons of smaller labels, but these are the larger labels/distros to get you started.

Here's a few I like that I don't think were mentioned:

Judgement

Forward

Paintbox

Battle of Disarm

Senseless Apocalypse

Slight Slappers

Mustang

Crude

S.O.B.

Zouo

The Comes

And while it might not be exactly what you're looking for, if you're not familiar with them, definately check out Corrupted (crushing doom/sludge, from Japan but they sing in Spanish!), and Gore Beyond Necropsy (bizarre grindcore).

you know no one on this forum is gonna be nabbing japanese hc/punk/rnr anytime soon. so there's really no need to be secretive of what you plan to buy. only maybe a handful of people on this board really listen to it on a regular basis.

oh and a few other bands i forgot:

Bastard

Isterismo

places to look:

PRANK

HG FACT label (more for reference)

Six Weeks

Havoc

625 Thrashcore

Slap A Ham (more for reference)

theres tons of smaller labels, but these are the larger labels/distros to get you started.

It seems 625 has quite a bit of Japanese stuff - that's where I found out about the Face of Change 2x7" demo a few days ago before scooping it up. Thanks for the links on all of these!

Here's a few I like that I don't think were mentioned:

Judgement

Forward

Paintbox

Battle of Disarm

Senseless Apocalypse

Slight Slappers

Mustang

Crude

S.O.B.

Zouo

The Comes

And while it might not be exactly what you're looking for, if you're not familiar with them, definately check out Corrupted (crushing doom/sludge, from Japan but they sing in Spanish!), and Gore Beyond Necropsy (bizarre grindcore).

how did i forget CRUDE and AGE. two bands i've seen live too. (facepalm)

just so many to chose from.

Paintbox, Paintbox, PAINTBOX!!!!!!! GET ON THAT! "Trip, Trance, and Traveling" is one of the coolest albums ever. Imagine those cheesy songs your hear in cutscenes for J-RPGs but some dude in a Motorhead shirt threw up on them."

Also, ZOUO! Probably right behind GISM as far as my favorite Japanese hardcore. "The Final Agony" is super awesome.

As far as more recent stuff, I just listened to Kreigshog for the first time today and they were sick. If you don't mind just downloading stuff, Aesop from Ludicra runs a sick blog where he shares a bunch of stuff. Here's everything he's got listed under Japanese Hardcore: http://cosmichearse.blogspot.com/search/label/Japanese%20Hardcore

Paintbox, Paintbox, PAINTBOX!!!!!!! GET ON THAT! "Trip, Trance, and Traveling" is one of the coolest albums ever. Imagine those cheesy songs your hear in cutscenes for J-RPGs but some dude in a Motorhead shirt threw up on them."

Also, ZOUO! Probably right behind GISM as far as my favorite Japanese hardcore. "The Final Agony" is super awesome.

As far as more recent stuff, I just listened to Kreigshog for the first time today and they were sick. If you don't mind just downloading stuff, Aesop from Ludicra runs a sick blog where he shares a bunch of stuff. Here's everything he's got listed under Japanese Hardcore: http://cosmichearse.blogspot.com/search/label/Japanese%20Hardcore

Paintbox was probably my favorite active band when they were still going. One of the most unique and creative hardcore bands in a normally static scene. TTT shows the band could incorporate any sounds that influenced them and weave them into a hardcore song. Chelsea (RIP) was one of the best guitarists in punk/hc history and his creative touch is and will be sorely missed.

I would urge anyone to pick up the entire Paintbox discography, which can be found on the Relicts collection and three full lengths. All three albums are different enough to have a distinct sound but are undeniably Paintbox, a band/sound truly unlike any other.

I am actually wearing a Paintbox shirt right now.

Rad, the lengths to those blogs are great! Definitely gonna be pumping up the iTunes with them later on tonight.

Picked up some more stuff today, a split between U.G. Man (more thrashy) and Charm (more melodic but still harsh) as well as records by Hammer (super fast and tight old school HC) and a compilation called Japankore: Omnibus Volume 2 that seems to be composed entirely of female HC bands including The Gaia with a random Melt Banana track tacked on at the end.

Looked up prices and I'm resigning myself to never owning any GISM or Gauze on vinyl (the Gauze stuff is $150+)