SOPA blackout...

Guest markovianprocess
Google really should have shut down. It's good and all to black out the logo, but it affects no one and does nothing when you still leave your site fully functional. Wikipedia being blacked out isnt enough. You need to affect the people trying to pass the bill, all they are doing are affecting the people opposed to the bill. Google however cares more about their pockets being lined than they do stopping this from happening.

pretty much this, but they came to the conclusion that it would hurt more people than help today. they should have gone dark at least for a bit, or for 15 of every our. that wouldn't slow anyone down, but would cause more of an annoyance to prove what could happen. but just so you guys know. it's already starting.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/2012011....-spons or.shtml

It would have made sense to shut down google.com for the day and black it out, and just to keep google.co.uk, google.de, etc up and active. That way people would be hit with the message so they had to read it in order to use the service. That would have made sense.

pretty much this, but they came to the conclusion that it would hurt more people than help today. they should have gone dark at least for a bit, or for 15 of every our. that wouldn't slow anyone down, but would cause more of an annoyance to prove what could happen. but just so you guys know. it's already starting.

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/2012011....-spons or.shtml

It would have made sense to shut down google.com for the day and black it out, and just to keep google.co.uk, google.de, etc up and active. That way people would be hit with the message so they had to read it in order to use the service. That would have made sense.

good point.

my biggest gripe: why does it always come down to the consumer to have to suffer in order for people to feel justified in change (i'll answer that right now. money. i digress...)? the government can't force people to buy things. media is a changed world. as we all know very well, as contributing members of a community that shares a love for the art of music and its presentation on an analog format, if you give the consumer a product worth buying at a reasonable cost, the consumer will buy it. just look at the soundscan numbers for vinyl in 2011. but instead of the movie industry thinking there's something wrong with a $25 per person fee (ticket, snack, beverage assumedly) to see a film in the theater, they attack the entirety of the internet for their "lost revenue." the music industry continues to pump out complete shit on itunes and cd, which is almost as good as throwing money away. improve the music. give the consumer a reason to spend their hard earned (and scarce) expendable income on.

sorry for the mini-rant. it is becoming increasingly frustrating to be, american??, i guess. congress has to get itself together, or there are going to be some massive problems in the not-too-distant future.