anybody own a Macbook Air?

Mac Mini thread made had me figure to just ask here.

Thoughts on it? I am planning on buying a Macbook just debating between the Air & Pro. Does the small hard drive on the Air play a huge inconvenience for you? I don't know how advance the iCloud and all get to if that helps out. The fact that you can't upgrade the ram make a difference? Or is already pretty quick. Just can't make the final decision on if I feel the Air is more novelty than practical performance.

what are you gonna use it for? i only see people use these for work purposes or basic things. nothing more. mainly because it doesn't have much storage to begin with, the ram is limited for it's price, and in order to run anything like photoshop, you might wind up having to upgrade in ram, thus putting you in the same $$ tier as a pro. get a pro.

what are you gonna use it for? i only see people use these for work purposes or basic things. .

Just basic daily things. I've fucked around with one at an Apple store, and it seems really fast and handles all their pre-installed programs without any problem. But still just looking for thoughts of current owners.. which I suppose there aren't many at all on here.

...Am I missing something? Aside from not having an i7 option, MacBook Airs have very similar specs to Pros. There's not much of a noticeable difference between i5s and i7s, to be honest. Max out the RAM in an Air and you'll come close to breaking the sound barrier. That said, you can put an SSD in a MacBook Pro and get similar performance.

As for hard drive space, storing lots of files (photos, music, video) on your main HD is never a good idea. I've never found an internal hard drive larger than 64GB to be completely necessary for my purposes. Get cloud space or an external HD for all your media files.

Bottom line: if lightness and portability are your thing, MacBook Airs are second to none. MacBook Pros have more than one USB port, a wired ethernet port, slightly better GPU options, and an optical drive. My personal ideal setup would be a Mac Pro at home and a MacBook Air as my laptop.

what are you gonna use it for? i only see people use these for work purposes or basic things. .

Just basic daily things. I've fucked around with one at an Apple store, and it seems really fast and handles all their pre-installed programs without any problem. But still just looking for thoughts of current owners.. which I suppose there aren't many at all on here.

if it's for basic stuff, just get a external hard drive, and get it. my friend has one and he likes it, but he doesn't use it nearly as much stuff as i do. i'd at least get the ram up to 4gigs minimum, but that's just me.

i love the air, but it's only great as a secondary computer. i had to replace my imac, and i couldn't go air over mbp
This is a great point. MacBook Airs seem to work great as an extension of a desktop, while MacBook Pros have a feature set large enough to act as a portable desktop.

love my pro. bought this one when the new lines came out for each, and strongly considered buying an air instead.. mostly because it replaced the macbook when they upgraded it.

but calling it a secondary computer seems pretty accurate.

ipod-> ipod touch-> iphone-> ipad-> mac air-> mac pro / imac