Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Tour 2LP

I haven't seen this posted yet, so here it is.

Van Halen's new album A Different Kind of Truth (which was officially released today) is going to be released on vinyl on February 24th, 2012.

The 2LP "Tour Collector's Edition" will be pressed on 180-gram red vinyl and contain all 13 tracks, an MP3 download of the album, and the live videos that come with the Deluxe Edition CD.

[image]

Track Listing:

Tattoo

She's The Woman

You and Your Blues

China Town

Blood and Fire

Bullethead

As Is

Honeybabysweetiedoll

The Trouble With Never

Outta Space

Stay Frosty

Big River

Beats Workin'

The price? $54.98!

Yikes. Not sure if I'll bite on this one... Though I was pleasantly surprised with the album. The single "Tattoo" is easily the weakest cut of the 13.

Link: http://www.store.ticketmaster.com/content/mlp/93/default.aspx

Guest deathbydrums

Van Halen's "Panama" has a bridge in the song where David Lee Roth says "reach down, between my legs, and ease the seat back". When I was a kid I heard the song in the car with my mom I guess I heard the lyrics differently. So I asked her, "what does he mean by reach down, between my legs and ease the sea-bag?".

Moms changed the subject. :D

I don't get the hate for "Tattoo," it's certainly not the best song in the world but it feels like Diamond Dave-era VH to me.

I wouldn't say that I hate it. I just think they could have chosen a stronger and more representative lead single. It's also a really sluggish way to kick off the album.

This is released by Ticketmaster?

I'm going to have to listen to the rest of it I guess. $55 is a big expense, especially when I consider that I could also buy 5 Fugazi records for that price.

I don't get the hate for "Tattoo," it's certainly not the best song in the world but it feels like Diamond Dave-era VH to me.

Some things, though, are best left alone. I don't begrudge them for trying, just the final product. Dave's voice is more shot than it's ever been. He's NEVER been a good singer, that's not the issue, but from where I'm sitting, it's deteriorated so much that I can't get past it.

I'll repeat what I said on another board.

"Yeah, they can play, but they can't write a good song anymore."

LOL at kids who've probably never listened to VHI or VHII talking shit to this.

That said, yes Tattoo starts things off on the wrong foot - they probably should have left it off altogether, as it's pretty incongruous with the rest of the album.

As for the rest of it, I was pleased with how heavy it is, considering the godawful ballad-band VH turned into after booting Dave out. It's true that nothing here hits the same level of awesome as any of the singles off the first 5 lps, but neither are they any worse than some of the less radio friendly stuff on Diver Down or 1984.

My ONLY complaint is that the tour seems to consist of SEATED stadium shows. If I can't mosh old people into oblivion while 'Unchained' plays, why even go??

LOL at kids who've probably never listened to VHI or VHII talking shit to this.

I kind of know my VH, having grown up listening to them. Sorry my copies of Fair Warning and Women and Children First and II aren't on my record list, since I wore out the cassettes and got them on cd and haven't felt like getting them on LP yet.

The songs as a whole unit are crap. Yes, they can play, but when you're needing to take 30+ year-old demos and rewrite them, that means the well has run dry, my friend.

• 1 month later...

My local shop finally got my copy of this in. The delays were lame. I paid $32. This is so nice. The version my store got is the 2xLP 180g red version, so I assume that is what Amazon has as well. The presentation for this is incredible. The art on the front of the gatefold is raised. The whole package has a metallic sheen. The inside of the gatefold is a layout of Dave's lyrics, like the CD version has. I spun this last night and it sounds fantastic. Couldn't be happier with this, especially seeing that I didn't pay the $55 to Ticket Master. Fuck Ticket Master.