Tomahawk Vinyl Box Set - RSD 2012

archiced

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine if they do a gatefold for Mit Gas with the gold foil artwork? Ho-ly crap.

Yes, this would be sick but would also probably drive the cost up pretty considerably. And if they do the embossed cover for Anonymous. Pretty much the cheapest packaging was S/T. That had to be recycled cardboard.

Nerd-out #2: Complete lyric sheets included!

Haha. I remember trying to transcribe the lyrics myself when the s/t first came out. Nerd, yes. Can't wait for this, if only because I have money to burn now and won't by RSD.

In most songs, there are more unintelligible lines than there are intelligible ones. Maybe that's being unfair but it definitely seems that way. Even if you think you can hear what he's saying, you're probably still at least slightly off.

From their recently updated biography on facebook:

"Tomahawk is an experimental alternative metal/alternative rock supergroup from the United States. They formed in 2000 when Fantômas, ex-Mr. Bungle and Faith No More singer/keyboardist Mike Patton and ex-The Jesus Lizard guitar player Duane Denison started swapping tapes with the intention of collaborating. Duane Denison then recruited ex-Helmet drummer John Stanier (currently playing with Battles), while Mike Patton brought Melvins/Cows bass player Kevin Rutmanis into the fold. Three phenominal recordings came from this formation. Kevin left the band in 2007, taking his place is Trevor Dunn, ex-Mr. Bungle, Fantomas player.

New record and tour brewing for summer 2012."

I'm so over the moon about this band right now. An amazing time to be a Tomahawk fan! Seeing the shit out of them on this tour.

Does anyone here have any Ipecac vinyl titles that they can look for etchings or stamps with any information about which plant pressed the records?

I just checked three records that were close at hand. I know I have more but I'm not digging through my stuff to check. If you're wondering about quality, Ipecac consistently puts out a top notch product.

Desert Sessions 9&10 - Trutone

http://www.discogs.com/label/Trutone+Mastering+Labs

Mike Patton - Mondo Cane - Golden

http://www.discogs.com/label/Golden+Mastering

http://www.discogs.com/artist/John+Golden?anv=Golden

Also scanned the s/t album from Mini Mansions but it doesn't mention where it was cut. I'm surprised you don't have any Ipecac LPs.

Edit - Just thought of one more.

Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On - Bernie Grundman Mastering

http://www.discogs.com/label/Bernie+Grundman+Mastering

Thanks a lot! Yeah, most of the titles they put out that I really want I missed out on and they are now too goddamn expensive to acquire or there are they are ones that I can hold off on. I have vinyl for Ipecac artists the vinyl titles of which were licensed by other labels and thereby probably not pressed by the same plants that Ipecac itself would use.

Again, thank you for checking. Should have figured you'd be the one to respond to that request. :)

I'm really anxious to see who they go with for this for quality speculation and for the purposes of stalking likely candidates for possible production photos of the set. Golden would be nice! Apparently Fontana Distribution is distributing this title. I asked them on their Facebook if they knew who was pressing this but they have not answered yet.

I've been operating under the premise that each of the three album are going to be single LP's as each album is between 40 and 45 minutes but does anyone (anyone nerdy enough to speculate in lieu of any actual updates) think they might go nuts and do 2XLP at 45 RPM?

Kind of hope its single LP as the lazy person in me only wants to flip discs once per album even though I realize 2LP 45RPM would sound better.

Thanks a lot! Yeah, most of the titles they put out that I really want I missed out on and they are now too goddamn expensive to acquire or there are they are ones that I can hold off on. I have vinyl for Ipecac artists the vinyl titles of which were licensed by other labels and thereby probably not pressed by the same plants that Ipecac itself would use.

Correction: I have Wavering Radiant by Isis which was actually pressed by Ipecac and not licensed by another label where any copy of their other albums that I have were done by other labels like Escape Artist, Trust No One, Level Plane, etc.. They used Pirates Press apparently. I've seen people bitch about PP a lot on here and I'm not sure exactly what the issue is with them.

• 2 weeks later...
These sites are reporting a $45.99 pricetag

http://www.dustygroove.com/item.php?id=tb8fqj73gc&ref=upcoming.php

http://www.vvinyl.com/v/tomahawk-eponymous-to-anonymous/2358

That's very reasonable. I love Ipecac. Now I want to find out where this thing is being pressed.

that is very, very, very reasonable

Most of Ipecac's single disc LP's are around $15 anyway, so its pretty much exactly what you would expect to pay buying them separately (if they were available that way) plus you get them all in a nice* box.

I want this set yesterday. Feels like March is moving along quickly so that's good and excellent weather to boot.

*Time will tell how nice the box in question actually is.