Melvins / Unsane split 7"

Does anyone else think it's completely ridiculous that AmRep was charging $20 for the less limited color and $40 for the more limited color for a 7"? I can see charging a little more since it's crazy colored vinyl and has screened covers on thick stock. But like $7 tops. When I mentioned it on their Facebook page they said it was an "eBay tax" since it would go for probably twice that on eBay after the fact.

Yeah, I hate when labels overprice records they know are popular and the only excuse is "it will cost more on ebay later." It's assuming that every fan is willing to overpay because some suckers on ebay will.

I'm jot a big enough fan of the Melvins or Unsane to worry about this one though. May have bought it if it was a normally priced 7".

i would have paid $10ppd. fuck this noise. and AMREP doesn't have to worry about selling them $20/40 either because all their asshole fanboys are willing to buy them. so, if anyone has an extra copy of either color, get at me. my friend WANTS one and is pissed he didn't get one. he has the $$$ to throw around, i can't justify it.

i know that OXOP is all about artwork and screen prints and graphics. i get it. can't we just get a normal pressing for each release too? Haze has to be making bank on all these releases. if he put a dime into the last few vinyl pressings AMREP did in the 90s before becoming a Melvins hobby label, those would have been nice pressings. sad, sad foldover thin sleeves and a record with no inserts. so pathetic.

i don't know what's preventing the regular black pressing in regular printed jackets for these things. they'll both sell and people get a record to play at the same time.

thanks Jared. still a month off, hopefully they don't sell out ahead of time. we aren't getting the tour at all, unfortunately. unless they add on another date at the end or something. i'm sure those tour copies would be long gone by then though.

Yeah, I thought about that too. Bullshit, but hopefully they do have copies left. This ridiculously limited Melvins stuff is getting on my nerves.

I'm glad i'm not a Melvins collector. I'm not condoning it, but how the fuck are they shocked when their stuff gets bootlegged? Limiting shit to 18 copies and putting them onsale at 2 am on a Sunday morning for $100 doesn't seem like it's "for the true fans" (all exaggerated, but you get the point)

/rant

I held off on buying their records from the start, because i know how stupidly limited they are. Starting now, i still feel like you have to hound constantly to get them.

I wish I had more Melvins stuff but I've come to accept that much like Third Man tri colors if I get one consider myself lucky if not don't worry about it.

I did get this split today and it looks pretty cool.

I'll be seeing the Melvins later in their tour so I could probably pick one up for someone if they still have them.

Ha! People are fucking ridiculous. And labels like this are equally ridiculous. I'll pirate the mp3s and be satisfied -- though I totally would have bought the actual physical record for a reasonable price. Hell I'd buy it on black vinyl if it were a reasonable price.

I used to be an insane Melvins collector. I still have tons of singles and LPs, all sorts of shit up until about the Trilogy triple LP. The really limited singles and crazy packaging used to be pretty cheap. The Grumpys singles would be like $10-$20 through mail order and they would be screen printed and signed and everything. That Tora box set with 4 7"s and nuts and bolts holding it together was maybe $25 when it came out. That same release now would come out with a $100 price tag because they know people will pay it. I think it's total bullshit to make so many super expensive releases the way they do now. It seems like a real "fuck you" to the fans and I know they've always had a knack for messing with people through their music, but this is different. Make SOME expensive limited records and then SOME regular priced ones.

if they dont want people flipping them for a ton of money then don't limit them. keep them in press. if they think they can sell that many of them they'll make the same amount of money selling 1000s at $7-8 as they will selling like 500 at $20

I agree.

Also, I'm not familiar with the Melvins "Bloat"... but I was hoping it was "The Bloated Pope" from the Lustmord collab record... that would've been an awesome cover.