Hey Travis....

you really, really need to understand something.

everyone around here loves listening to records, and collecting records, and talking about new records, and how records sound, and yeah- sometimes buying too many of one record, because it came in a bunch of different pretty colors.

on a regular basis- long, long, long before your cluelessdimwittedshitforbrainstroglodyte ass showed up around here, we have spoken waste about the people who buy records just to hang on the wall. especially because this often leads to inflation of value; where someone is forced to pay $79 for an album they love just because someone decided it would make a good poster.

not that your stamp collection is affecting anything other than burt mccrackens boner when he sees album sales in 2012.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i do. ive collected things my entire life. rocks. baseball cards. wrestling figures. sneakers. anything and everything brand new. and yeah, that had a hand in the birth of my record collecting- but at least i had a turntable before i bought Deja.

I only bought two records before I got a means of playing them. Well, three, but one of them was as a present to a future, and future ex, girlfriend. And when I bought the second, I was trying to find one. And the first, I bought at a local store and played it on my cousin's player that night. So I feel like I wasn't really one of /those/ guys.

well, store only variants can be great......but thats not really up to the stores then. Ive definitely tried to contact labels and bands about doing something like that, but nothing has ever worked out. Most indie mom and pop stores cant do what places like hot topic or interpunk do.....pay for a pressing of 1500 for an exclusive color. nor would the majority of indie stores be able to sell that many. even with how many stores hot topic has, they still have many records not sell and go on clearance. They can absorb the loss much better than if an indie store had 100 copies left over unsold.

i do really like the store only color in theory (though i see it causing big issues with employees, etc just holding it to ebay or whatever, since nowadays its more about the investment value of the record moreso than the music on it). but that takes a collaboration between bands and labels and stores. which doesnt exist. some stores have been able to do one or two, but its difficult to do that widespread on larger releases that are in more demand.

Is it such a crazy idea to do what ETR just did with the dustin kensrue release or what Third Man does? (a randomly inserted, non-marked variant)

This is how baseball card manufacturers figured out a way to stay relevant after the bottom fell out in the mid-90's. People buy sealed packs hoping to get a 'hit' of some rare /150 or /50 or even 1/1 card, but if they don't, at least they still get to keep what was in the package. Could work the same with vinyl -- A small amount of variants are inserted with the "regular" pressing which all goes exclusively to indie stores. This way the limited variants are still sought after but not always the first things to sell out while the regular pressing just sits.

Just throwing it out there -- the bubble will burst on this boom eventually and not sure that would be enough to change it's course and help the indie stores that have lost foot traffic on the other 364 days of the year.

this whole thread is just bumming me out. It's politics and 'theory' being talked about - straight and simple. When I go into a local record store, I often do so WITHOUT any particular thing in mind and I often come out with a small stack of things I'd previously never heard of that seemed cool as well as stuff that I had on my list. I hardly EVER buy new, almost always used (but not The Used, ugh - I now feel like I have to disclaimed that anytime I talk about used ((Previously Owned)) records). Colors, variants, all of that is fluff and it just gets in the way. If you like it, cool - have yr distros and whatever else, I don't support used record stores because it makes me more 'punk', I support used record stores because they're open gateways for great music I've never heard (that MOST of the time, came out BEFORE 2004) and are putting money back into my community. Simple as that.

well, store only variants can be great......but thats not really up to the stores then. Ive definitely tried to contact labels and bands about doing something like that, but nothing has ever worked out. Most indie mom and pop stores cant do what places like hot topic or interpunk do.....pay for a pressing of 1500 for an exclusive color. nor would the majority of indie stores be able to sell that many. even with how many stores hot topic has, they still have many records not sell and go on clearance. They can absorb the loss much better than if an indie store had 100 copies left over unsold.

i do really like the store only color in theory (though i see it causing big issues with employees, etc just holding it to ebay or whatever, since nowadays its more about the investment value of the record moreso than the music on it). but that takes a collaboration between bands and labels and stores. which doesnt exist. some stores have been able to do one or two, but its difficult to do that widespread on larger releases that are in more demand.

Is it such a crazy idea to do what ETR just did with the dustin kensrue release or what Third Man does? (a randomly inserted, non-marked variant)

This is how baseball card manufacturers figured out a way to stay relevant after the bottom fell out in the mid-90's. People buy sealed packs hoping to get a 'hit' of some rare /150 or /50 or even 1/1 card, but if they don't, at least they still get to keep what was in the package. Could work the same with vinyl -- A small amount of variants are inserted with the "regular" pressing which all goes exclusively to indie stores. This way the limited variants are still sought after but not always the first things to sell out while the regular pressing just sits.

Just throwing it out there -- the bubble will burst on this boom eventually and not sure that would be enough to change it's course and help the indie stores that have lost foot traffic on the other 364 days of the year.

The real solution to this is for bands and labels to put out good music and keep it as readily available, stocked, and in print as realistically and financially possible. Maybe striking up a distribution deal isn't as glamorous or "punk" or "DIY" as selling limited runs through your webstore and out of your apartment.

baseball cards ultimately hit their demise as soon as "game-used" hit the market. while that was probably the coolest thing to ever happen, it got to the point where a card made after 2000 was completely worthless if it didnt have a swatch of derek jeters jock strap on it.

and kriss, thats exactly how i am as a collector off the internet. occasionally ill buy something at newbury comics- most likely whatever pitchfork BNM im really diggin'.. but otherwise i stick with the local used shop, and just go in there hoping to find some gems.

for me, buying online is pretty much solely for exclusive and rare releases that i know arent going to make it to stores.

^ absolutely. I'm totally not knocking buying stuff online, but even then, my habits mirror what I do IRL - over the last year, I think the only pre-orders I've gotten in on have been either Broken Circles or Hydra Head stuff, other than that, it's all Discogs and used records that I KNOW will rarely come into local shops around here, so I jump at them online.

you got to understand collection purposes too though

collections are for collectors. Things that serve no other purpoe but to be part of a collection. Music is an artform, and not meant to be hoarded or "collected". Baseball cards have no other purpose but to be traded and put on shelves, etc. keeping one on the shelf, and raising the price on others doesnt put anyone out, because no one is buying cards for any other purpose than value and collecting.

releasing a limited edition record that gets bought up and placed on walls DOES negatively affect things, because there are still people out there who want to listen to the music and enjoy the artform in the way it was originally intended.

this is not a crazy idea at all. I do it, and have always does it. I never sell new records by the variant. I got a lot of limited variants and they go out at random. A few kids love it because they are super stoked to get a limited version when they are just buying the record. I love it that way.

However i guarantee that i lose a LOT of business that way. I get emails EVERY SINGLE DAY from kids asking "what color is this record on?", and when i tell them its random, 99% wont place the order. Its why i stil have 1st pressing limited colors sitting on the shelves, when people are paying 30 bucks for it on ebay. but no one will take the chance and pay 10 bucks for a new copy. because they are afraid they wont get the color they want. I know of at least 15 different albums offhand that i could ebay for triple the price i have in the distro, because of the variant. but no one wants the album. they want a specific color/version.

ive read lots of posts online where people say "well its cheaper at vinyl junkie, but i dont know if its blue or green". hell ive even got hate mail from kids because i wont disclose or guarantee what variant they will get and who gets the limited versions.

personally, i wish everything would go back to random. the record is sealed, and you dont know whats inside until you buy it. Either that or no one releases pressing info. but labels know if it werent for variants they wouldnt sell even HALF as many records as they do now. how many copies of reinventing axl rose do you think would have sold if they only pressed black vinyl?

I know someone in here brought up Independent Record Stores doing limited run pressings, but it would be to costly. I can't find the post again or I would link it.

This is something that me and some friends have been talking about for a while. I understand fully that it isn't doable for independent record stores to do this online. However, I've been wondering if it would be doable for Independent Record Stores to come together and form a large format collective of independent record stores. By pooling resources it would allow them the ability to create Independent Store only release's that would hopefully work to keep foot traffic up. Logistically it might be nightmare to deal with but it's something that in theory has been floating around in my head. Ideally it could work in a similar, yet more market tailored way, as Local Chambers of Commerce.

Again it may not be doable in reality but I was curious what others thought of the theory of this? I'm heading out to work now but when I get home I hope to see what you all have to say. I think the upside would be tremendous for local independently owned record stores.

this is not a crazy idea at all. I do it, and have always does it. I never sell new records by the variant. I got a lot of limited variants and they go out at random. A few kids love it because they are super stoked to get a limited version when they are just buying the record. I love it that way.

However i guarantee that i lose a LOT of business that way. I get emails EVERY SINGLE DAY from kids asking "what color is this record on?", and when i tell them its random, 99% wont place the order. Its why i stil have 1st pressing limited colors sitting on the shelves, when people are paying 30 bucks for it on ebay. but no one will take the chance and pay 10 bucks for a new copy. because they are afraid they wont get the color they want. I know of at least 15 different albums offhand that i could ebay for triple the price i have in the distro, because of the variant. but no one wants the album. they want a specific color/version.

ive read lots of posts online where people say "well its cheaper at vinyl junkie, but i dont know if its blue or green". hell ive even got hate mail from kids because i wont disclose or guarantee what variant they will get and who gets the limited versions.

personally, i wish everything would go back to random. the record is sealed, and you dont know whats inside until you buy it. Either that or no one releases pressing info. but labels know if it werent for variants they wouldnt sell even HALF as many records as they do now. how many copies of reinventing axl rose do you think would have sold if they only pressed black vinyl?

i get wanting a record on a certain color (i'm partial to red as it's my favorite), but i really like the idea of random variants. got the jack white sixteen saltines 7" in the mail the other day, got an extra jolt of excitement because "maybe tri color!" didn't get it, but i'm still happy as shit i got my record...because that's why i ordered it in the first place.

hasnt this board already learned a valuable lesson on collective releases?

also, its very hard, if not impossible to get 25 different people to agree on a single release, and everything that goes into the specific release. and once again, you have to get bands support as well. You could put out some local punk band that might be great for a store in the bands hometown, but there is no incentive for a store across the country to pay for that too. so you would have to work with bigger, wider known bands, which has its own hassles too with signing bands, or working out "deals" with them, etc. (i actually looked into this option before with other stores).

Places like Hot Topic are already doing this, but they can because they have more pull with a band/label, and have a lot more money at their disposal. Small local stores generally dont have that.

after reading this thread, i felt encouraged to go to hot topic and just browse around the bargain bins for music i have never listened to before. picked up 2 records, i can see this getting addictive.

[image]

I can't tell what the first one is, but I can see the second is Beautiful Things. I hope you enjoy it. It's a great record, in my opinion. I know some people don't dig it, but hey.