New Orleans Record Raid

Euclid is a good stop, but it is a bit out of the way.  However if you go over in that direction check out "The Joint" which has incredible BBQ.

Peaches is popular, but EXTREMELY over priced.  They had in print albums for close to $40 (One that comes to mind is Paramore S/T).

There is a place called Skull Records (I think that's the name)   Its down Burbon street before you get to the gay district on the left (if the city is behind you).  It is a small shop but the owner seemed like a legit dude and had some cool stuff

The HT not far from the city doesn't carry vinyl.  They suggested a place by Tulane but I wasn't in that area. 

Have fun!

I second your reviews on Euclid and Peaches.

Skullyz is the place on Bourbon. Small, but worth a quick stop. The place over by Tulane is a combo head/record shop called Mushroom. Kind of ambivalent on their offerings. If you can only hit one place, make it Euclid.

My brother lives down there.  I visited for the first time back in March of this year.  Didn't go to Skullyz but we did go to that place over by Tulane.  Pretty damn cool place.  Also went to the Atomic Pop Record Shop in Baton Rouge.  Probably the most friendly people I've ever encountered at a record store.

That seems like a precious commodity as some owners/workers I have encountered have been rude at the different stores I have been in.

The Pop Shop folks are friendly until you ask them about their sky-high markups. The guy that co-owns it has pulled some serious Amy's Baking Company shit on r/batonrouge.

That seems like a precious commodity as some owners/workers I have encountered have been rude at the different stores I have been in.

Amen to that.  Lots of record stores I've been to have very rude staff.  Snobby people that think they know everything there is to know about music.

The Pop Shop folks are friendly until you ask them about their sky-high markups. The guy that co-owns it has pulled some serious Amy's Baking Company shit on r/batonrouge.

Hmmm, I didn't notice any outlandishly high prices, but I also didn't have the time to look through the entire inventory either.  I think I recall some pretty big price tags on some near mint condition beatles originals.  I think I walked out of there with a new copy of Acid Bath's WTKSP and that was it.

Not a good way to keep patrons coming in that is for sure.

Got that right.  There's a place about 10 minutes from me that I regularly visit that reminds me so much of Champion Vinyl (?) from that movie High Fidelity.  It's always the same 2 or 3 guys hanging out, "running the store".  They have openly bitched about customers that come in and don't buy anything in my presence.  Bitter old men that hate today's music, hate that records are becoming popular again, etc. etc.  you get the picture.  It's a wonder they are still in business with the way they treat their customers.  I generally avoid ever asking questions.

Check out Jims Rare Records on Magazine Street, what an odd place.  I went there recently and the person running the shop appeared to be playing Call of Duty, while watching Steve Harvey on a TV next to the CoD TV, while smoking a cigarette.  There are buckets collecting water from the leaking roof, and albums everywhere.  I did not find anything at all, but it was a pretty trippy place to check out. I have never experienced anything like it (in regards to a music shop)

It's Jim Russell's Records and it's absolutely shit. The store has been in NOLA for 40 years. The only way the could afford that property is by owning the building, other than that, the rent would be too high because they never make money. That lady working was Jim's daughter and if you bring a record up that isn't priced, she looks it up on ebay or Goldmine and tells you the price, which is usually ridiculous. If something is priced, she may look it up and change the price on the spot.

Nothing is really organized, it's messy, everything is in terrible shape. It's a nightmare.

However, a buddy of mine was in there the other day and got Bad Religion - Into the Unknown for $3 and brought it to the Record Raid with a price tag of $150.

Here's my best story:I found a box of 45's at my work in the attic. Our building is about 100 years old and it's been many other things (school for girls with disabilities, orphanage and a nonprofit now since the 60's).

I found a box of 45's that was probably sitting there from the 80's. It was all funk/disco shit. I sold 3 for a total of $400.

Here's my best story:I found a box of 45's at my work in the attic. Our building is about 100 years old and it's been many other things (school for girls with disabilities, orphanage and a nonprofit now since the 60's).

I found a box of 45's that was probably sitting there from the 80's. It was all funk/disco shit. I sold 3 for a total of $400.

box full of 45s.  sold 3 for 400.  nice.  what happened to the rest of them that didn't sell?

Awesome

• 4 months later...

1654305_594817163932549_1871120945_n.jpg

March 29th: 10 AM - 5PM
1200 Braodway Street, NOLA
Zimple Quad @ Tulane

We haven't forgotten about you, uptowners! We're back to where the Record Raid first began for this one, over on the Tulane Zimple Quad to show them college students where the wax is at.

Expect more records, cassettes and CDs than you can handle! Hidden gems from your favorite record slingers. Private vendors, record stores, garage sale weirdos, people cleanin' out their hypothetical basement, all for you to peruse. We're hopin' for about 20 vendors from all over the US of A

This is a WTUL benefit but you don't have to pay a dime to get in!

Do us a favor and invite an irresponsibly-spending music nut.

Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/events/810740292284901/
www.recordraid.com

I've never been to the Atomic Pop Shop in BR, but all my record nerd friends HATE that place. Record nerds disagree a lot, but nobody craps on a store for no reason, unless they don't want others to shop there :)

This apparently is not the case.

was in BR for a conference that overlapped with RSD one year and found them. Ridiculous prices.