Jack White 3rpm Singles Series

explain to me like i'm 5 how you'd even play these on your TT

You'd have to manually take apart your record player, and create a custom device that would slow down your player to 3 rpm.

Example - if your player allows it, you could fit on a bigger wheel. but it'd have to perfectly done.

I've also heard of people using dimmer switches, but I had a friend catch his turntable on fire playing around with one.

explain to me like i'm 5 how you'd even play these on your TT

You'd have to manually take apart your record player, and create a custom device that would slow down your player to 3 rpm.

Example - if your player allows it, you could fit on a bigger wheel. but it'd have to perfectly done.

I've also heard of people using dimmer switches, but I had a friend catch his turntable on fire playing around with one.

well that's ridiculous.

I love this graphic on it though:

[image]

I didnt even notice that, jack is hilarious with suttle shit he puts onto his releases like that. Usually puts interesting quotes or phrases into the dead wax too

I understand this is a ridiculous gimmick but he gave them away for free to people who attended the secret sxsw showcase so its not his fault that people are spending ridiculous amounts of money on ebay for them. He gave them away for free as a gift for attending the 3rd anniversary showcase from what I have read

everything related to Third Man records and their exclusivity is a fucking joke.

How so? They make limited presses available for special events and random mailorder, sometimes gimmicky but creative and fun. And then never let anything go out of print and distribute it widely. If you want any album on the label you can buy it at retail price, often in your local record store. So the limited stuff has a false value attached and are insanely sought after? Don't buy them. Buy the versions on black and be happy. Or don't.

So I was actually fortunate enough to be one of the few Vault members invited to the show. I flew into Nashville last minute to attend this, and was glad I did.

Few other things of note:

There was a Third Man 3 year Anniversary tote bag the record was housed in, listing all of the artists/releases in the 3 years.

The vinyl is clear blue with the following words in the runout: Surprise/Prize.

As many have stated before, it is a cool idea, but rather impossible to play (as a few people on the WhiteSwirl forum found out). It reminds of the Triple Decker, in that as soon as you "popped" it open, the 12" became worthless and you then only had the 7" to play.

Not sure if these values will hold up. It will probably be like a Triple Decker or Hand Painted How I Met Your Mother release, in that it will be pretty to frame/look at/add to your collection.... but nothing more.

Even if you'll manage to play it in 3rpm, it would sound like you're literally spinning a piece of shit.

I would hve thought the exact opposite. As itsspinning slower the sounds would before exact and less likely to skip, even when scratched. What reasoning do you have for saying it'd sound like shit?*

*other than it being a jack white record

I have nothing against Jack White, I love him with The Raconteurs.

As I think (and I might be mistaken of course), the needle gets its "data" from the groove, the slower the needle moves in the groove it picks up less "data" to transmit to your receiver.

For a needle to receive enough data to make a "decent" sound, the groove itself would have to be so extremely detailed, I can't imagine it can be THAT detailed so the needle will produce a decent sound.

everything related to Third Man records and their exclusivity is a fucking joke.

How so? They make limited presses available for special events and random mailorder, sometimes gimmicky but creative and fun. And then never let anything go out of print and distribute it widely. If you want any album on the label you can buy it at retail price, often in your local record store. So the limited stuff has a false value attached and are insanely sought after? Don't buy them. Buy the versions on black and be happy. Or don't.

At one time, I espoused an opinion of the former. Now, I tend to take the latter. Nobody is making anyone spend ridiculous amounts on TMR stuff. sharkticon is right. Very few of their releases are OOP and they make all the stuff available at cost to begin with. It's just crazy collectors thinking their making an investment for the future by purchasing this stuff. And, right now, if I had 5K to "invest" in records, I would be buying Northern Soul 45's to flip in 2-3 years.