Topshelf Recs VS No Sleep Recs

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would anyone who's getting this be able to just send me the tracks via dropbox or upload them to mediafire or something? idc about the physical CD, and paying for a comp seems kind of ridiculous, too. I already financially support these labels and hot topic enough for one consumer.

Pretty ridiculous you won't drop $5 for a 70 song compilation put out by 2 independent labels. Just because you've bought things from them (or HT) in the past doesn't entitle you to free music. That's like saying 'Hey I saw this band live and bought a shirt 5 years ago. I should be allowed to download everything they put out for free.'

It's $10 with shipping, unless I'm missing something about HT's shipping costs. And I've supported them way more than this...I don't really see the need to outline a justification here. Between shirts, concerts, and records, on La Dispute alone I've spent...directly from retailers, not ebay, probably $350 at least? I don't think another $5 will make that much difference. At this point, I get all music for free. Plenty of bands have also advised me to do so. If I like the music, I will see you live, buy a shirt, and buy your records. I'd go broke if I started buying CDs too, even for $10 a pop.

I also did not say I was entitled...I was just saying I'm not a free rider, having supported them plenty.

Also, I already have the no sleep subscription. Top Shelf would be nice, but considering the odds I don't care much about a golden ticket.

And final point: It's a comp. Labels give these away for free to get you into new bands. If a label wants to advertise bands to me, they can fund their own expenses--I see it as me paying for their advertising. But that's just me, and I can definitely see the other side of the coin here.

Pretty ridiculous you won't drop $5 for a 70 song compilation put out by 2 independent labels. Just because you've bought things from them (or HT) in the past doesn't entitle you to free music. That's like saying 'Hey I saw this band live and bought a shirt 5 years ago. I should be allowed to download everything they put out for free.'

It's $10 with shipping, unless I'm missing something about HT's shipping costs. And I've supported them way more than this...I don't really see the need to outline a justification here. Between shirts, concerts, and records, on La Dispute alone I've spent...directly from retailers, not ebay, probably $350 at least? I don't think another $5 will make that much difference. At this point, I get all music for free. Plenty of bands have also advised me to do so. If I like the music, I will see you live, buy a shirt, and buy your records. I'd go broke if I started buying CDs too, even for $10 a pop.

I also did not say I was entitled...I was just saying I'm not a free rider, having supported them plenty.

Also, I already have the no sleep subscription. Top Shelf would be nice, but considering the odds I don't care much about a golden ticket.

And final point: It's a comp. Labels give these away for free to get you into new bands. If a label wants to advertise bands to me, they can fund their own expenses--I see it as me paying for their advertising. But that's just me, and I can definitely see the other side of the coin here.

As far as I am aware, these are unreleased and b-side tracks. This isn't something labels go and make a comp for to get people into the bands. I understand what you are saying, and I think you are correct. But, this isn't a lot of money, compared with what you get.

Also there is the added bonus of helping the two labels sell well in HT. If it does well, there will be greater opportunities for NSR and TSR.

For the record, I wont be buying one. Only because I live in Australia, and the HT shipping prices are absolutely absurd. But If I were in thee states, I would definitely do it for the chance of freebies and to support the labels.

Are people really this open about stealing music now? Straight up asking someone to pirate it for them..

No matter what you think, this is, in fact a sense of entitlement that you feel you have.

You are either a total asshole, or a young kid that doesn't seem to know that stealing music is not a cool thing to do to indie labels. These things cost money to make, and with them selling it at an SRP of only 5 bucks, They are probably breaking even maybe after distributor cost's etc.

I've noticed just about every popular thread gets jacked and turned into a god damn argument. (Breaking news, I know) But for fuck's sake let's all agree to disagree and actually talk about the comp.

As soon as someone knows the tracklisting (or at least wants to post highlights) let us know.

These aren't really limited are they? Debating if I wait till I make it to a store or just order it online.

Sorry if that has been asked/answered already. On my phone at work on the shitter and don't have time to read everything.

Thanks.

Just got out of Hot Topic, no luck. :/ The guy I talked to looked through the boxes and everything and couldn't find it. He said The store was supposed to get them, but didn't get them yet. I live in the Hackettstown/Allamuchy area. I was able to grab the Thursday - A City By The Light Divided 2xLP though, so the trip wasn't a complete waste, still would've liked that compilation though. :/ I guess I'll come back in a few days.

Just got out of Hot Topic, no luck. :/ The guy I talked to looked through the boxes and everything and couldn't find it. He said The store was supposed to get them, but didn't get them yet. I live in the Hackettstown/Allamuchy area. I was able to grab the Thursday - A City By The Light Divided 2xLP though, so the trip wasn't a complete waste, still would've liked that compilation though. :/ I guess I'll come back in a few days.

Might stop at Wayne. I work in Newark so its close enough to being on the way home.

Might stop at Wayne. I work in Newark so its close enough to being on the way home.

Nothing in Wayne yet either. The girl said to call back later because their daily shipment hadn't come in yet.

Track Listing Scroll past if you want to be surprised.

Pianos Become Teeth - I'll be Damned

Moving Mountains - With ones Heart in Ones Mouth

Saddest Landscape - This heals nothing

prawn - slaying a paper tiger

a great big pile of leaves - learning curves

the world is a beautiful place and I am no longer afraid to die - bread for brett

you blew it - medal of honor

empire empire - everything rests on your small shoulders

chamberlain - racing cincinnati

into it. over it - write it right

Drug church - northway (rough mix)

ts and the past haunts - circumstance

no trigger - dried piss

xerxes - funeral home

former thieves - dust...american dust

aficionado - honestly (alternative version)

balance and composure - Stone hands (acoustic)

mixtapes - my you look ravishing tonight

la dispute - the most beautiful bitter fruit