Dish Network vs DirecTV? Opinions wanted

Moving soon and will probably be going with one of these two satellite services. Will be going with a whole-home DVR option, and just wanted to see if anyone here has any opinions on either service.

From what I've seen, both are pretty comparable, but Dish has a local sports channel that DirecTV doesn't. However, DirecTV's DVR has more tuners.

I've had Directv for over 4 years. My father has had it for over 10. Best customer service that I've ever encountered, from any company, ever.

They have more HD channels, more "watchable" channels (meaning they have more channels that are actually worth watching) and they've got all the local sport channels. All the FSNet and some more stuff for college games. But the big thing, is they have NFL Sunday ticket. The menu is also much much nicer looking and I love the whole home DVR option.

I'll never switch from Directv unless they lose NFL Sunday Ticket. I've only ever had positive experiences with them.

I have had both (currently have Directv). I would never go back to Dish. Their customer service sucks, their channels suck (they didn't have MLB network when I had them a couple years back, they might now, but I know you cannot get MLB Extra Innings with Dish).

My parents have had Directv since 1995 (because of NFL Sunday ticket) and they have never complained.

I have had Directv for the last two years and have no complaints.

I have had the complete opposite experience with Directv. They pulled the old bait and switch on me with the refer a friend program. I was supposed to get $100 back after signing up using a friend's referral. Gave them all the info and they assured me they would send me the credit. After a month they denied ever promising that. After numerous calls, asking to talk to the manager and being transferred to a number where no one picks up or just being hung up on, I said forget it.

Quit it, took the early cancellation hit, and put up an HD antenna for free tv. With netflix streaming and a Roku box, I pay about $8 a month plus any on demand movies I stream from Amazon. I spend the saved money on records.

The only thing that sucks is the lack of sports. I usually just stream by hooking my laptop to the TV or just go to a bar.

The true test of any paid service to see what happens when you actually have a problem with their service. Also be careful, from what I hear, after your two years are up they resign you up for an additional two years without asking you and then you are in another contract. Directv are complete scam artists aholes. In the end I can't wait for all of these crappy overpriced TV monopolys to fail.

I have had the complete opposite experience with Directv. They pulled the old bait and switch on me with the refer a friend program. I was supposed to get $100 back after signing up using a friend's referral. Gave them all the info and they assured me they would send me the credit. After a month they denied ever promising that. After numerous calls, asking to talk to the manager and being transferred to a number where no one picks up or just being hung up on, I said forget it.

Quit it, took the early cancellation hit, and put up an HD antenna for free tv. With netflix streaming and a Roku box, I pay about $8 a month plus any on demand movies I stream from Amazon. I spend the saved money on records.

The only thing that sucks is the lack of sports. I usually just stream by hooking my laptop to the TV or just go to a bar.

The true test of any paid service to see what happens when you actually have a problem with their service. Also be careful, from what I hear, after your two years are up they resign you up for an additional two years without asking you and then you are in another contract. Directv are complete scam artists aholes. In the end I can't wait for all of these crappy overpriced TV monopolys to fail.

It's always weird hearing other peoples experiences. I've only ever had great service, though, like you said, some people only ever have bad experiences.

The whole "lock you in for two more years after your initial two years are up" isn't true. That hasn't happened to me, or my father or anyone else that I know.

I can officially say that Directv has never scammed me, so I think that you're unfortunately one of the few negative stories. Sorry about your luck man. I did the whole $100 deal and it worked for me. That being said, you didn't actually have a problem with the channels or hd or anything, you just cancelled based on the principle of the matter for the $100 yeah? Which is understandable, just clarifying.

I have had both (currently have Directv). I would never go back to Dish. Their customer service sucks, their channels suck (they didn't have MLB network when I had them a couple years back, they might now, but I know you cannot get MLB Extra Innings with Dish

My parents have had Directv since 1995 (because of NFL Sunday ticket) and they have never complained.

I have had Directv for the last two years and have no complaints.

Same here. Dish Network has the worst customer service I've EVER dealt with. They even installed a dish on my house without realizing I could never get clear reception because of the trees in my backyard. It took 3 different servicemen to come by and figure out what the problem was. When I called to cancel my service, they tried to bill me a $200 fee to get out of my contract when I couldn't even get clear reception in the first place! After calling customer service and being disconnected 3 different times, I finally got through and they canceled my service and agreed not to bill me for the fee.

I've since had Direct TV for 6 years and have had problems with reception or customer service. Do yourself a favor and get Direct TV and avoid Dish at all costs.