Official "Help Me Choose a Turntable" v.2.0 Thread

Thanks man. Do you own one? or have ya heard anything worth dropping the cash for one? or is there something better for my money.

I have the Pro-Ject Xpression III classic which is a model or two above the debut but I have nothing but good things to say about my experiences with the brand.

Have heard a few Debuts as well and they sound great. Chuck an ortofon red or blue 2m cart on it and you will have a solid table that will last you a long time

We have a fairly large collection of seven inches but don't play them often due to the getting up constantly factor, however we're in our home office a lot and it makes sense to have a smaller turntable that we could keep a constant stack of sevens and tens by to play since we're sitting there for hours on end. Suggestions? Obviously I don't want to set up a huge stereo system like we have out in the living room (in the office, we have a decent set up hooked to our desktops and it'd be nice if I could take those speakers and hook them into an RCA and run that into the back of whatever turntable I go with so that I can keep the amount of speakers in the office to a minimum).

This seems to be the most viable option for what I'm looking for as it has a headphone/line out for me to plug in my desktop computer speakers (again, this is NOT my main set up, this is just something small to have on my desk for listening to seven and ten inches exclusively): http://www.amazon.com/Numark-PT01-Portab....891744 6&sr=1-2

Anyone have any alternatives they'd suggest?

I know that I sound like a broken record (ha ha) in regards to going vintage, but if you're really intent on spending less than $100 on an office beater TT, why not poke around Craigslist and see if you can find something that not only performs better than a Numark / Ion / Crosley but is 50 times better built and will last so much longer than one of those plastic turds?

Kriss ... you're in the Chicago area? Why not this ...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/2631842330.html

$85 for a great entry-level turntable that has been called a "giant killer" in regards to performance. Ad says that it has been serviced and the Shure m91 cart is very good. Best yet, you can give it a test run before you buy!

Here's a Dual for $125 that seems to be in good shape ... and it's a changer, which means you can stack 5 or 6 records and let em play. Of course, letting your records drop on top of one another isn't the best idea in the world ...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/2642480684.html

Shop around and if you have any questions on a specific model, post here or send me a message. Happy to help!

Thanks for the suggestions dudes.

bearchuck, the two turntables you listed are really nice but unfortunately way out in the suburbs. Being city bound, it isn't viable for me to get either of them.

After a crazy amount of research, I went ahead with the Numark - one thing that drew me to it was the portability as I don't have that much desk top space to put it and since there's an amp already in it, hooking it up to the speakers that are on my desk will make getting good sound out of it easy. Didn't go with Crosley because all the ones I looked at involved plastic needles which have never sat well with me.

can anyone help me figure out some static issues i'm having with my set-up? only seems to happen from time to time where my speakers are overtaken with an incredibly loud sound of static, and then goes back to normal. happens with different records. sometimes i'll play the record and it will play flawlessly, then go a couple days and replay it and will experience the static issue. not sure if it might be my shitty pre-amp (Behringer PP400 Ultra-Compact Phono Preamp), or possibly the record player itself, or my speakers (optimus sts 800). any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated... thank you,

So I just bought a new receiver, a pioneer vsx-921k, and need some technical advice. I have noticed that the sound out of one speaker is much lower than the other. My player is a Stanton t-120, and I'm running on stereo (not surround etc) when playing vinyl.

I've switched the speaker wiring around, and it's not a dodgy speaker, but I honestly don't know whether this was happening on my old receiver or not. And now I'm wondering if it's always been like this, and/or if it should be like this? If not, does anyone have any idea what the reason for it may be?