How to handle a record (hijacked thread by cunts)

Hello fellow people at Vinyl Collective.

I tought it was common knowledge but many people do not know how to handle a record properly.

For those who care enough, Michael Fremer has a whole chapter about this on his DVD "It's a vinyl world after all".

First of all, you have to understand that records are like glasses. If they're dirty, you won't see clearly or in the case of records, you won't hear the true beauty of the sound. That's why you have to clean them once in a while, especially if they have been mishandled before.

HANDLE YOUR RECORDS BY THE EDGE AND CENTER LABEL, NEVER ON THE SURFACE. It doesn't matter how clean your hands are, your hand have natural oils and dirt that will get inside the grooves if you touch them.

Here's what I saw this morning on eBay (seller listed it as new!) :

[image]

Never do this.

I've seen records in the grass, on carpets or simply on a rough surface. I do not normally buy from these people because they do not care about their records.

Have a record brush by your turntable and gently take off the dust before you play your record.

On a personnal note,2 weeks ago I got two records from a DJ and I swear, after 50 pass of the brush on the records there was still a lot of dirt coming off the grooves. It didn't look like it when I got it but it was very dirty inside.

When you're done with it, take it inside the dust sleeve and back into the jacket so that the static of the record doesn't attract everything that's in the air.

Some might find it all extreme but if you care about your records and the music on it, do yourself the favor of handling it properly for a lifetime of enjoyment.

I normally use Draino to clean my records, it's a bit pricey ( $7.80 a bottle) but it leaves your records in pristine condition. All the glue and D4 in the world couldn't even compete!

Just make sure you don't put Draino on the labels, and make sure to let it sit for about 50+ mins. Wipe down with a brush and enjoy!

I normally use Draino to clean my records, it's a bit pricey ( $7.80 a bottle) but it leaves your records in pristine condition. All the glue and D4 in the world couldn't even compete!

Just make sure you don't put Draino on the labels, and make sure to let it sit for about 50+ mins. Wipe down with a brush and enjoy!

I'd be interested to know if anyone else does this.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else does this.

Yes

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':8czs8ege]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':8czs8ege]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Guest soulcrusher

Assholes, every forum has them.

Look at this guy taking jokes a little too seriously. Get back to crying about living a normal day to day life in the "giving it all up" thread you made.

You elitist 2000+ post count assholes are all the same. Doesn't matter the site or the forum, you are all the same. Congrats on that.

Guest soulcrusher
lolololololsoulolololololcrusherrrrr

We all know wrestling is fake. That's a givin. But, men in compromising positions wearing spandex, groping each other's nethers. Gay much?

Look at this guy taking jokes a little too seriously. Get back to crying about living a normal day to day life in the "giving it all up" thread you made.

You elitist 2000+ post count assholes are all the same. Doesn't matter the site or the forum, you are all the same. Congrats on that.

What you are trying to say is that you get lulzed off every board before you get the chance to become a regular.

Guest soulcrusher

We all know wrestling is fake. That's a givin. But, men in compromising positions wearing spandex, groping each other's nethers. Gay much?

And a homophobe to boot.

And you would wrestle like that? I'm not homophobe by any means. Just not interested in rolling around with dudes in spandex.

Guest soulcrusher

What you are trying to say is that you get lulzed off every board before you get the chance to become a regular.

Not true. I'm mostly a lurker. I never really make it up to the post count that would be considered a regular.