Everyone Selling...

thebiglebowski

Should post a starting point for negotiations. If you are selling a record then you know best how much it is worth. I am sick of contacting people who say "just make an offer" and wasting my time offering $20 for a $60 record. You can write that you will take best offers, but at least post a starting point for offers.

I like this idea...but I think the point of make an offer is to gauge more on what you'd be willing to pay...almost everytime I've made an offer that was too low, an agreeable price was made where both parties were happy...

I'm sure it works out for plenty of people. I think that the whole process is much more efficient if the seller posts a price. If I have twenty dollars that I can spare for records, then I can look through a list of records and pick out the one I want instead of it going like this:

$20 for record 1?

Too low...

$20 for record 2?

Too low...

$20 for record 3?

Deal!

I can agree with this...I have been guilty of sending out the "how much are you looking for?" message when someone is selling...I only do that because sometimes I don't know what a record goes for. I will plead ignorance on that one.

And don't make me feel like shit b/c I offered an amount that was too low to your liking...at least have the common courtesy of replying "Nah man! That's too low...I was thinking more of $XX"...simple as that...

Rant over...

with adequate research and depending on how often copies show up for sale, most people should be able to figure out a decent price. unless it's a record that has never been sold before. like, i sold a blue shooks/easel split, with no knowledge of it's value for $15. fair for the seller, and enough for me. if i'm sent an offer, or am sending an offer, i always suggest a price and tell them to counteroffer if they want. instead of cutting it short at just a "no".

Like cadetapplesauce, I always respond to people's offers, even if they are jokes. This is common courtesy. If I think they're serious but un/mis-informed, I try to send them concrete information and then they can decide how to proceed (make another offer or decide it's out of their price range).

As a rule of thumb, I never expect Ebay prices. Despite the influx of noobs here, I would get way more exposure selling things on the 'Bay. Also, I would have to pay listing fees and commission there, so I take that into account when selling things on boards. (I generally offer/accept at somewhere between 70%-90% the last few Ebay prices if the items are truly comparable and there's enough data.)

I too hate it when my offers are snubbed, but then again, I usually feel that if my offer wasn't good enough, I don't want the record (at that price).

Guest baseball
with adequate research and depending on how often copies show up for sale, most people should be able to figure out a decent price.

Exactly, so it shouldn't be too much to ask for the seller to post a general starting price.

Good idea from the original poster.

yeah, i hate offering $30 for a record and never hearing a response. $30 is a decent chunk of change for most records and shouldnt ever be snubbed as an "insult" or anything. people are lame.

Yeah, I get annoyed by the dudes who turn down decent offers because they want ebay prices for everything, but then they lowball everybody when they want something. My message to these people: QUIT FUCKING WITH REAL TRADERS AND SELL YOUR SHIT ON EBAY.

It bums me out when someone makes an offer, you accept it, and then they never pay for it.

I'm guilty of that sometimes. Usually it's if I have a certain amount in paypal, I make an offer, the dude takes 2-3 days to let me know if he'll take it, and in those days, I've spent the money else and probably forgot about the offer i made anyways.

It bums me out when someone makes an offer, you accept it, and then they never pay for it.

I'm guilty of that sometimes. Usually it's if I have a certain amount in paypal, I make an offer, the dude takes 2-3 days to let me know if he'll take it, and in those days, I've spent the money else and probably forgot about the offer i made anyways.

Haha, totally guilty of it too. I'm reeeeeeeally forgetful.

i hope you didnt forget to send my ed gein record!!!

haha yea you are. you've done it twice to me.

It's all the weed.