It's finally happened... (gaslight)

patron

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess close to $100. It' sad because when punk vinyl comes back to its senses (or at least the bands I look at) this shit is going to be sold for like1/2 that.

Exactly. Punk vinyl is in a huge speculator phase right now. If you're old enough to remember when this happened with sports cards and then comics, you'd know that when the speculator aspects crashes the industry takes a huge hit.

I would guess close to $100. It' sad because when punk vinyl comes back to its senses (or at least the bands I look at) this shit is going to be sold for like1/2 that.

Exactly. Punk vinyl is in a huge speculator phase right now. If you're old enough to remember when this happened with sports cards and then comics, you'd know that when the speculator aspects crashes the industry takes a huge hit.

i brought up this same exact point the other day... the only big difference is the rarity factor is much higher with vinyl.. ie theres 1000 copies of a given record as opposed to 1,000,000 barry bonds rookie cards.

i brought up this same exact point the other day... the only big difference is the rarity factor is much higher with vinyl.. ie theres 1000 copies of a given record as opposed to 1,000,000 barry bonds rookie cards.

Are we really in a speculators market? I'm an avid comic collector, and have been there through both good and bad times. There was usually a catalyst that sparked these speculator markets, such as the Death of Superman, Foil/enhanced covers, etc... What caused the vinyl speculation? I think what we are seeing more of, is a discovery of vinyl by people who are abandoning the cd format. The general interest in vinyl as a musical format will naturally lead certain personality types to the collector side, ie: color vinyl, limited numbered pressings, and so on, so it becomes about more than just the music to this newer generation of "collectors". As Flood pointed out, a lot of this stuff is quite rare in comparison to mass produced collectibles like baseball cards and comics, so it only takes a few new collectors to affect pricing. The collectibles market has always been cyclical, but I believe what we are now experiencing with pricing could be closer to the norm than we might like to believe. Thoughts?

-Chris

Really as much as I would have liked to sell one of my Trio/Smoking Popes split to one of you guys. I kind of needed to be greedy and sell it to some kid. It sold for 120 dollars which is crazy, but when shit is hot you have to sell high.

Woah, when did you sell it for that much? I sold one about 6 months ago but only got about $60-70, I think; maybe even less, actually.

Really as much as I would have liked to sell one of my Trio/Smoking Popes split to one of you guys. I kind of needed to be greedy and sell it to some kid. It sold for 120 dollars which is crazy, but when shit is hot you have to sell high.

Woah, when did you sell it for that much? I sold one about 6 months ago but only got about $60-70, I think; maybe even less, actually.

Over Christmas one went for 150 dollars, I emailed the girl who was second highest bidder.

Over Christmas one went for 150 dollars, I emailed the girl who was second highest bidder.

That is the BEST way to get top dollar, IMO. Whenever something goes ridiculously high on ebay you e-mail the retard who drove up the price the item but didn't actually win, then sell it to them for $20-30 less. They think they're getting a deal and you don't have to risk getting a lot less in your own auction.