$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

Well I've got some FANTASTIC NEWS to share! My Pro-ject Debut Carbon HAS SHIPPED!! I've already sent out PMs to the few who requested this info privately with details on how to obtain one. If you're SERIOUS about buying one of these and are willing to agree not to share the info on the public boards, feel free to PM me and I'll give you the details. Can't believe it actually worked!!!

Well I've got some FANTASTIC NEWS to share! My Pro-ject Debut Carbon HAS SHIPPED!! I've already sent out PMs to the few who requested this info privately with details on how to obtain one. If you're SERIOUS about buying one of these and are willing to agree not to share the info on the public boards, feel free to PM me and I'll give you the details. Can't believe it actually worked!!!

Thank you

Thank you

Youre welcome. I was always gonna hold true to my word on this. Just really didnt make sense to give out this info if my order didnt go through in the first place. Plus you can view it as being selfish or whatever but it was my idea and i put a lot of time into figuring out how to get the biggest discount possible on this deal. Theres a few moving parts involved with the deal that I did a few hours of research on just to get the best price possible. I felt like I at least needed to make sure I was given the chance to receive what I dreamed up before sharing with others. Say what you want of me but Ive given 6 VCers the opportunity of over $100 savings each on a TT they quite possibly may have never thought fit into their price range beforehand.

I kind of feel bad I hijacked this thread with the news of the Carbon discount. I was pretty excited for one of these U-Turn TTs for a while. Im definitely still gonna recommend one for my sisters BF who is just getting started with vinyl. I think its gonna be a great product for the price.

I am asking if it is possible to receive any sort of discount other than the crappy promotion they are running now. I still want what I ordered and the cheapest I have found it otherwise is for $330 but with some cosmetic flaws.

Edit: Moving over to the other thread. I don't want to hijack this one.

Youre welcome. I was always gonna hold true to my word on this. Just really didnt make sense to give out this info if my order didnt go through in the first place. Plus you can view it as being selfish or whatever but it was my idea and i put a lot of time into figuring out how to get the biggest discount possible on this deal. Theres a few moving parts involved with the deal that I did a few hours of research on just to get the best price possible. I felt like I at least needed to make sure I was given the chance to receive what I dreamed up before sharing with others. Say what you want of me but Ive given 6 VCers the opportunity of over $100 savings each on a TT they quite possibly may have never thought fit into their price range beforehand.

Plus if you had posted it and it hadn't worked out everyone would've bitched at you then. I'm not sure if you've noticed but we like to complain on this forum.

I suppose that if your new tonearm had the exact same geometry, you could do it. More than likely though, you'd have to do some serious surgery on the turntable, including rewiring and drilling / modifying a hole in the plinth ... and you'd need an arm board or mounting plate too. Definitely not a job for a novice.

The better question is why would you want to spend the money upgrading a turntable that's designed to be an entry-level starter deck?

Again, we still don't know much about the Orbit, but even if it ends up being a (relatively) nice-sounding turntable, there's no way that U-Turn Audio is using high-quality materials at a price point of $150. Even if you upgrade the tonearm with - let's say a used Rega RB251 - and then you get the acrylic platter and a nicer cartridge, you're talking about spending $500 - $600. That's not including the cost of paying someone to work on the tonearm switch-a-roo. For that type of money, you might as well buy something nicer to begin with and that will also allow any future upgrades to make a bigger difference sonically.

I think that it's realistic to hope that the Orbit sounds good for a $150 table, and that the minor upgrades that the company is offering gives people a taste of what's possible. I mentioned it before, but this thing is going to have a ceiling, and no amount of tweaks is going to change that.

Who knows - maybe U-Turn Audio will begin developing a mid-level entry that will compete with the likes of the Rega RP3. Or maybe they'll be out of business in a year.

I think if this ends up being a success his next objective will either be to make an economic turntable at the next price point OR work on doing economical upgrades (tonearm, acrylic platter) it feels to me like his goal is showing that you can get sound quality without all the bells and whistles and if he gets big I would hope that other companies will take notice.