$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

30% off your entire order when you bought 10 CDs. Just find 10 CDs on their list at $1.99 and the Carbon turns into a $294 purchase. Use CDs as coasters, win.

Congrats, and you were right for being cautious about telling people, it would have royally sucked if you got screwed out of the loophole you found.

Congrats, and you were right for being cautious about telling people, it would have royally sucked if you got screwed out of the loophole you found.

They almost tried fucking other people and cancelling who tried to order, but it appears theyre gonna honor their orders. Unfortunately theyve now corrected the loophole on their website.

Hey can we talk about this turntable, not some sketchy discount please?

I am quite excited to see this thing. As for the comments about the tone arm, take a look at the old Acoustic Research AR-XA. An extremely simple, plain looking TT that works great and has stood the test of time.

Yes, please redirect any posts on that subject over to here:

I thought the same thing about that crappy looking arm. Looks cheap. And because I never listen to music and just look at my turntable and picture discs, I will NOT be buying this.

Seriously, though, the arm looks lame.

I have no doubt that it will be the best sounding $150 TT. Whether or not that means anything to you depends on your fondness for $150 TTs.

Hey can we talk about this turntable, not some sketchy discount please?

I am quite excited to see this thing. As for the comments about the tone arm, take a look at the old Acoustic Research AR-XA. An extremely simple, plain looking TT that works great and has stood the test of time.

I have an AR-XA, and while the tonearm is probably its weakest point (esp the headshell), it's certainly not terrible ... and it can be make to work quite well. Mine has been rewired, damped, polished (needle set screws) and Delrin cups have been replaced with synthetic sapphire bearing cups. Right now I'm using a Denon DL-103D moving coil cartridge and the arm handles it like a champ. Honestly, that arm probably performs just as well as a Rega RB300 or something else in that class.

Still, the AR-XA (which was a "budget bargain" turntable in its time) is the exception to the rule. The suspended sub chassis design is so simple, so elegant, yet it built a rock-solid foundation for turntables like the Linn Sondek LP12 to thrive. There's a reason why last year Absolute Sound named the AR-XA the most significant turntable of all time: http://www.avguide.com/review/the-ten-most-significant-turntables-all-time-tas-216?page=2

If the Orbit ends up being a modern-day AR-XA, then we're going to be discussing this thing for years to come. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't bet any money on that happening. While very well-intentioned, the kids designing this thing don't come anywhere close to the brilliance of audio pioneer Edgar Vilchur.

this comment is the worst.

In all seriousness, this is a nice looking table that strives to be better than the tables a lot of us have and its within an affordable price range. What's wrong with people getting a little excited about this?

there's nothing wrong with being excited for it... i'm hoping it turns out to be the table that everyone's hoping for, so i can get one myself.

but holy shit, everyone's just been such unbelievable assholes in here. a bitching war over someone getting a deal, crying about how a tonearm "looks", all the bullshit speculation.

what did i read last, that these are expected to drop in march? everyone just needs to chill out.

this comment is the worst.

In all seriousness, this is a nice looking table that strives to be better than the tables a lot of us have and its within an affordable price range. What's wrong with people getting a little excited about this?

I really hope this thing is the real deal. I've definitely been pushing this to my sister's boyfriend who has just gotten into listening to vinyl.

Nothing like whining in a post about people whining to really get your point across.

Other than the semi-annoying detour in regards to that secret discount, I think this thread has been more than civil, with some pretty engaging discourse about what may or may not be a landmark in budget audio.

Of course there's speculation. That's what happens when a turntable is announced months ahead of the release date. But speculation can be engaging and interesting, and it's what has kept this thread going for so long. There's no malice here; some kids believe the Orbit will be the best thing since sliced bread and others warn about tempering expectations. Both sides fine and this is a forum for us to express our opinions in a (mostly) cordial way. If you don't want to discuss the turntable until you have one in your hands, that's fine too ... hit the "back" button and we'll see you in four or five months. Godspeed, sir!

By the way, there's nothing that U-Turn Audio wants more than for people to speculate about their turntable. There's a buzz in the vinyl community and those guys are loving every hype-filled minute of it. If the kickstarter campaign is a success, it owes a big ol' thank you to threads like this.

i came in here to find any news of release. because last i gathered it was looking like "soon". but then i have to wade through all the aforementioned nonsense to find out that it's not happening for several months.. i don't remember the last time a topic on here that i was interested in became so mind-numbing.

Nothing like whining in a post about people whining to really get your point across.

Other than the semi-annoying detour in regards to that secret discount, I think this thread has been more than civil, with some pretty engaging discourse about what may or may not be a landmark in budget audio.

Of course there's speculation. That's what happens when a turntable is announced months ahead of the release date. But speculation can be engaging and interesting, and it's what has kept this thread going for so long. There's no malice here; some kids believe the Orbit will be the best thing since sliced bread and others warn about tempering expectations. Both sides fine and this is a forum for us to express our opinions in a (mostly) cordial way. If you don't want to discuss the turntable until you have one in your hands, that's fine too ... hit the "back" button and we'll see you in four or five months. Godspeed, sir!

By the way, there's nothing that U-Turn Audio wants more than for people to speculate about their turntable. There's a buzz in the vinyl community and those guys are loving every hype-filled minute of it. If the kickstarter campaign is a success, it owes a big ol' thank you to threads like this.

I think one thing here is clear. This TT is going to completely blow away its competition at the $150 price point.

I think one thing here is clear. This TT is going to completely blow away its competition at the $150 price point.

I don't think that's clear, if it was we wouldn't be having that discussing. I think that's what everyone is hoping and hopefully it will satisfy but we won't be sure until it drops. I definitely have high hopes.

I don't think that's clear, if it was we wouldn't be having that discussing. I think that's what everyone is hoping and hopefully it will satisfy but we won't be sure until it drops. I definitely have high hopes.

I think more of the arguing is in regards to this TT going up against $3-400 TTs.

i came in here to find any news of release. because last i gathered it was looking like "soon". but then i have to wade through all the aforementioned nonsense to find out that it's not happening for several months.. i don't remember the last time a topic on here that i was interested in became so mind-numbing.

Oh man ... SUPER SORRY to have wasted EXTREMELY VALUABLE seconds of your important life with our interesting thread. And I'm simply appalled that we, the entire VC community, didn't take your precious time into consideration before moving forward with our thoughts on the most popular topic in this sub-forum.

It was never our intention to put you out, and had we known that you apparently use Vinyl Collective as your personal Google Search, we would have never engaged in such an entertaining discussion.

Seriously, if you could just make a quick post at the beginning of each new thread that pops up here and let us know how long we can talk about the subject at hand, that would be great.

Remember, everyone: before you post, WWRBG (What Would Ry Bread Google). If whatever you're typing has even the slightest chance of slowing him down from getting the essential information he desperately needs to function, just stop right there.

Again, thanks so much for pointing out our shortcomings. Your self-importance has undoubtedly made Vinyl Collective a better place to live.

where my yo posse posse at?

by the way, bearchuck... every single post of yours- tl;dr. every one. even that one! i could not care less about anything you have to say.

where my yo posse posse at?

by the way, bearchuck... every single post of yours- tl;dr. every one. even that one! i could not care less about anything you have to say.

Super cool story, bro. Tell us again how bored you are of this thread while you continue to post in it.

WWRBG?

"Dear internet, how can I be relevant when I don't have anything useful / intelligent / interesting to add to the conversation?"