Portable USB turntable for only $40 (+ $4.99 S&H)

https://www.livingsocial.com/products/us/5436-vibe-e-ssential-briefcase-usb-turntable-and-vinyl-archiver?ref=dealx&preferred_city_id=41

This thing makes a Crosley look like a Rega, but still, if you're new to the vinyl game and need a cheap way to listen to records, you could do worse than this. (Maybe.)

If your setup is worth less than a couple thousand dollars, there is no point to ripping vinyl to your computer anyway. If it exists on CD/digital, any janky MP3s from some random Russian blog are going to sound better than the sound of that shitty plastic needle scraping across that shittily-pressed, cut-from-the-CD-master vinyl. If it only exists on vinyl, the odds are good that someone has done a better job than you at ripping it already and it's just out there waiting for you.

I really hope there aren't people whose iTunes libraries are made of rips they did with their USB turntables, repeatedly muttering to themselves that it has to sound better, because it's vinyl. I think that would break my heart.

If your setup is worth less than a couple thousand dollars, there is no point to ripping vinyl to your computer anyway. If it exists on CD/digital, any janky MP3s from some random Russian blog are going to sound better than the sound of that shitty plastic needle scraping across that shittily-pressed, cut-from-the-CD-master vinyl. If it only exists on vinyl, the odds are good that someone has done a better job than you at ripping it already and it's just out there waiting for you.

I really hope there aren't people whose iTunes libraries are made of rips they did with their USB turntables, repeatedly muttering to themselves that it has to sound better, because it's vinyl. I think that would break my heart.

This. You have become my new favorite member here. Thank you.

Anyone that's worried about the speaker on this thing being shitty, that's the least of your worries. You could have goddamn Martin Logans plugged into this thing and it'd still sound like shit. Not to mention completely destroy your records after one play.

I have something similar to this. Its from Vibe but not this model. Built in speakers and all. Shitty really, the only thing cool about it is that it has RCA hook ups so that way I can use my computer speakers or surround sound speakers and not use the built in speakers. Also, the cartridge you can't change at all, if it breaks, its all busted.

Honestly, don't go with the deal cause its cheap. There is a reason it is cheap. Just save up the extra hundred dollars or so and get a much better one than this. You can get a better deal on ebay.

It's called groove damage kiddos. A record could look fine with no scuffs/scratches, yet still play like absolute shit after being played once with a worn and/or misaligned and/or poorly tracking stylus. Don't believe me? Okay. Enjoy your records, just please make sure they don't end up flooding eBay or record stores (if) when you finally get tired of them. I'm not really in the market for plastic turds.