good floor speakers on a budget?

so finally ditched the surround sound setup i had, which was pretty sweet actually, but involved wireless components and just cluttered up my living room. am switching to stereo speakers. would like to stay under $500 for a set. can anyone recommend a good pair for around that price? am willing to go used, but i need something thats relatively low profile, and would like to avoid anything that looks really old, but it doesnt have to be brand new.

I have some basic Polk Audio tower speakers and I think they're great (1 speaker+1 tweeter each)! They may not be the greatest speakers ever but one day I'll upgrade to higher rated speakers. I got an awesome deal on them when they were like 60% off. They've been serving me perfectly for 2 years and they have a great quality/price ratio. The bass is surprisingly good.

Newegg shipping is fast!

That's great. I'm glad you like them. The sound will get better as they break in. Give them a couple of months with regular listening and the top should smooth out and the bass should improve slightly. Another great thing about these speakers is, unless you really get into audiophelia, you can consider yourself done with speakers. These should last you along time and continue to impress.

Great deal!