Printing Test Sleeves?

I didn't think this fit in the Vinyl Discussion forum because it's more about a service than a record. I am trying to get some test jackets printed up for the YMAEWK release. It's designed and ready to go, but my printer can't print it. It would need to be full-color digital printing. Can anyone here do that in a small amount? I only need 10, and can provide the blank jackets if that's easier.

Thanks!

I apologize because i have nothing to contribute to your question, but seeing a topic about printing test sleeves made me have a question of my own.

I didn't want to get scolded for starting a second test jacket topic.

Anyways, is it abnormal to have a third party (not affiliated with the band/record company) to create a test jacket? I have a Murder By Death test I got from the band, and up front it was my understanding that they were going to create a special cover for it. They didn't, and even after sending it back to them to "fancy it up" (their suggestion after I inquired) it's very very underwhelming. Being that it's my one and only test press, I didn't know if it was abnormal to have someone else make a cover for it.

if anyone thinks this should be in its own thread, please tell me and I'll move this.

Full colour is going to be tough especially in small amounts. The biggest issue is the set up, meaning having a printer that can print the size and shape of the jackets. Most printers aren't going to touch small amounts because the time it takes them to set it up wouldn't be worth 10 jackets.

That being said, there's nothing sweeter than a great one or two colour screen print on a recycled cardboard or white jacket.

This. Patrick does great work.

The artwork would be fairly hard to convert to a 1 or 2 color image. Patrick does do amazing work though!

Print an image and glue it on a blank cover or take a sharpie to a blank cover.

Sounds incredibly ghetto and would never do that to my customers.

Are you using the original art for the jackets? You could at least try and see what the art you're using looks like in two-color form. It might look pretty awesome. But most places won't do small runs for full-color, and screen printing full-color isn't possible, I believe, but I think having someone screenprint them would be your best option.

King of the gutters, can you send me a pic of the test? I talked to Adam about the Kickstarter the other night. I can't blame him for not doing a special cover. The amount of work he had just in packing everything up was insane. I'm curious to see what they did, though. They're finished with their tour, and the emails go straight to him, so you might ask again. There was a pic of them with custom art, what happened?

I apologize because i have nothing to contribute to your question, but seeing a topic about printing test sleeves made me have a question of my own.

I didn't want to get scolded for starting a second test jacket topic.

Anyways, is it abnormal to have a third party (not affiliated with the band/record company) to create a test jacket? I have a Murder By Death test I got from the band, and up front it was my understanding that they were going to create a special cover for it. They didn't, and even after sending it back to them to "fancy it up" (their suggestion after I inquired) it's very very underwhelming. Being that it's my one and only test press, I didn't know if it was abnormal to have someone else make a cover for it.

if anyone thinks this should be in its own thread, please tell me and I'll move this.

That dude with the Revelation collection said not to make your own covers, but I think it's okay as long as you don't try to sell it.

I am also a happy customer of Patrick.

Are you using the original art for the jackets? You could at least try and see what the art you're using looks like in two-color form. It might look pretty awesome. But most places won't do small runs for full-color, and screen printing full-color isn't possible, I believe, but I think having someone screenprint them would be your best option.

King of the gutters, can you send me a pic of the test? I talked to Adam about the Kickstarter the other night. I can't blame him for not doing a special cover. The amount of work he had just in packing everything up was insane. I'm curious to see what they did, though. They're finished with their tour, and the emails go straight to him, so you might ask again. There was a pic of them with custom art, what happened?

ALSO

no its completely different artwork

Im sure you have all seen it before if you are a fan of the band but yeah

Most places aren't going to run digital art onto your existing jackets. The machines just won't work that way, you'd need to print before assembly. Shit, most places that run all digital just have bigger Xerox machines.

You have a couple options. Find a screen printer to print it process for you, but at 4 hits plus artwork separation that is going to get a little pricey.

Your other option is sublimation. It's basically a heat transfer but much better than the ones you can do at home. A bunch of printers who do screen or offset printing can also handle this process and it should be cheaper.

I'll send it when I get home later.

I def don't blame them for being too busy. But yea when I made the purchase I asked about custom covers and I was told all test presses would have a special cover. I'm guessing the pics they posted online were for the other test albums though.

When I got mine it was just a blank white version of the "special edition" cover which had the moon holes cut out. When I contacted MBD they told me that since it was the "special edition" cover they didn't think to do any actual cover art.

I don't want to keep hounding them about it. I'm sure they're sick of hearing from me.

Keep it super simple, have a stamp made with an image and text, or just text. My band did this for our record and it looked super simple and pretty classy. We had a front stamp made with a logo and album title, and a second made for the back with track titles. We purchased smear proof ink and did each by hand, but it looked like a labor of love.

Here is a pic of my MBD test cover. Not very impressive.

2cb4d68d4848aa4fada1_1.jpg 2cb4d68d4848aa4fada1_2.jpg

It looks pretty good from here.

i will also back Patrick - he'd made a few test sleeves for me a while back. Now, they won't add value to the record per se, However, i don't think there is anything wrong with getting custom sleeves made for one's records. they is your records afterall. It goes without saying it would be bad taste to try to pass it off as a special 1 ot 1 of 20 type thing....

I think that test cover looks pretty rad. Definitely something I would expect from those guys. I'd be happy to get a test with that cover. That looks similar to the one they had in the picture they posted. At least you got something hand done by the band as opposed to getting something they sent off to have done.

Either way, I agree, getting test press sleeves printed should be perfectly fine. I paid a ton of money for a test that came with no cover at all, I'd want it to look nice in my collection. But doing it with just the intent to sell it is just shitty (as in a person buys a test, gets a cover, and sells it).

Patrick is a solid dude. He did his best to get me some sleeves for my tests, but they would never turn out right, which sucks cuz I didn't get them, but he was super cool about it, since it still cost him time, ink, and jackets. I've seen some of his work and definitely reccomend him if you go that route.