Black Friday 2012

Looks like most of the ads are released. What are you buying?

I pretty much check amazon every half hour for stuff. Might buy a tablet if I can get one in the $100 range. And I am definitely interested in a drum set from Guitar Center.

Was thinking about trying for a $100 tv and installing in my shower but I dunno if I want to take on the project. Don't know anything about working with tile.

I found this online:

http://www.blackfriday.fm/adscan/guitarcenter

Hoping it is just a teaser ad and they come out with a better one. I am not interested in a $250 drum set. Not looking $2k either. I want that $500 median set (not professional but totally sufficient for a dude who just wants to beat something in his basement...).

I feel like you can get 15% off sticker any day you go in there, though. It's pretty much factored into the price already. If I did go in there, I'd probably pick up a bunch of guitar strings too. Nothing sounds better than a freshly strung guitar. At $2 a set it is worth it to change every couple weeks (vs. about twice a year like I have done lately).

Is it stupid to think there will be any decent deals on the new iPads and/or iPhone 5s anywhere? That's what I'm looking for for the wife.

If I remember correctly, Apple stores will do price matches. So if Best Buy has "buy an iPad, get a $50 gift card", you can take the ad to Apple and they will just give you $50 off. Just something to watch out for.

Scott, as your post kind of hinted you already knew, Apple is stingy with discounting their prices and you will not find "door busters" anywhere. They would probably put significant pressure on Best Buy if they tried to do more something like the above mentioned gift card deal. I wouldn't spend an hour looking for anything fantastic.

But if you are gonna buy one anyways, good day to do it.

Is it stupid to think there will be any decent deals on the new iPads and/or iPhone 5s anywhere? That's what I'm looking for for the wife.

I was just looking at the Best Buy Black Friday ad(http://bfads.net/Ad/Best-Buy-2012/Page4) and it says they're selling the new 16gb w/wifi for $499 before a savings of $40-$60 the lack of proper wording leaves you to wonder how much they will cost but there is that. Ipad 2 same deal starting at $399 before savings.

Still looking at ads once in a while to break up the workday.

A meat dehydrator for $30 from Bass Pro Shops is interesting. Beef Jerky is effing expensive! Feel like that might pay for itself in no time.

$100 of a Galaxy 2 tab from Costco is pretty intriguing too. Might join the tablet club.

Scott, looks like Target has Ipad's at normal prices with a $60 gift card to target. If you get a target credit card you can get another 5% off (assuming you are knowledgeable about opening credit cards and the effect on your credit score. Unless you are buying a house or car very soon it is likely worth a soft hit to your credit to save 5% on a $500 purchase, maybe more if you buy other things).

Their ad leads you to believe you can buy them online (it says "shop online at target.com on the same page") but probably needs more verification.

I haven't looked at an add but if there is a crazy deal I might pick up a TV or PS3 or X Box, but most likely won't pick up anything.

It was either Best Buy or Target that has the 250gb 360 with Skyrim and I think Forza for $199. I think there was a similar PS3 at both or one of them.

What's crazy? The going rate on the game systems seems to $200 for a package with the system + a game or two.

TVs are all over the place depending on what size/quality you are looking for.

I've got no issue showing up crazy early. I've done it before just show up with a good book and about 17 layers of clothing. I can never pull the trigger on a luxury item like these. Not that I don't blow my money on frivolous junk, just that I don't watch TV much. Well I do watch a ton just on my computer. I'll just wait till the Thursday to check out the adds and make up my mind there.

My computer has an HDMI output. I connect it to a projector + screen and it is awesome. Whole system (excluding the computer) cost maybe $700. And it's 80 inches at 1080p. Zero lag too (which I cannot say about my 47" Samsung LCD or 55" Toshiba LED), which is very nice for gaming.

Anyone who buys a TV bigger than about 45 inches is foolish for not going with a projector. The value is just so much better. I guess if you don't have the room to project like in a dorm room, that makes sense.

Anyone who buys a TV bigger than about 45 inches is foolish for not going with a projector. The value is just so much better. I guess if you don't have the room to project like in a dorm room, that makes sense.

Not really, what about rooms that get a lot of sunlight (I.e. most people's living rooms) and watch mostly during the day? I work at Best Buy in the home theater department and there's no comparing capability for brightness between LED HDTVs and projectors. If lag is an issue, I doubt you've tried to game on a 240Hz 8000 series Samsung with the 960 clear motion rate turned on. No lag whatsoever. I didn't even mention contrast ratio, static or dynamic. High-end TVs will always win, hands down.

Of course everyone has their own needs for a perfect solution, so if the projector works for you that's great. But no one is foolish for looking into a nice, big HDTV.

For a room with A LOT of light, that would make sense. I did think about that before I posted. Projectors are still watchable in normal light (see your average bar) and if you just close the blinds, look great.

As far as the Samsung you mentioned, no I have not. I bought a 47" Samsung LCD about 2 or 3 years ago. The refresh rate is 120hz I am pretty sure. But I also am under the impression that a faster refresh rate would not help lag. Maybe working at Best Buy, you could enlighten me. But the problem is not the number of refreshes per second. The problem is that it takes a full second or so for the signal to get from my PS3 to the screen. Playing Madden or GTA or something, you don't really notice it. The easiest test by far is to play an MLB game on it. It is literally impossible to hit the ball without just swinging before the pitcher releases. By the time you see the pitch, the PS3 thinks it is already in the catcher's glove. When you pay over $500 for TV, stuff like this is bullshit. My projector, however, works perfectly with the game.

Hmmm, interesting. But I'm not sure how the TV would be different from the projector in your scenario. With your logic I believe the problem would lie somewhere in between the HDMI cable and the TV, or the PS3's graphic's processor and the HDMI. The connection is the same, so I'm not sure why it's better. But it's good that you found something that works great for you. I'm not a huge gamer myself, especially sports games, but most all the gaming I do on my PC. I played uncharted and god of war a lot on a 120Hz Samsung and lag never really was a problem for me, but as you mention it's probably not as noticeable as with other games. I will also, however, rip shit up over anyone in Ken Griffy Jr's MLB for N64. Complete domination.

Anyway, do you know if your TV was a C (2010 model) or a D (2011) series? Either way, the early 120Hz "D" series LCDs, as well as new TVs, have a "game mode" built in to the advanced video settings that's supposed to enhance the image of 3D gaming content. Not exactly sure how, think it has something to do with frame interpolation, or something. Did you have it turned on? I'm sure you probably played with the settings, I'd have to look into it further

EDIT: found what seems like a well-educated guess on an A/V forum:

"When your TV is running at 100hz, it is taking a 50hz signal, and then interpolating frames in between to make it 100 and appear to run smoother. This processing takes some time for the on-board computer to accomplish, so there is a small delay from when the signal is sent to your TV from the source, and when the picture is actually displayed on the screen.

This delay is called "input lag". When you play video games, all this processing will add the same kind of delay, so what you see on the screen lags behind what is actually happening on your PC or console. Your mouse and controller movements will lag behind your actual input also. If you play fast paced games, this can make you a lot more likely to die smile.gif

Game Mode turns off all the extra processing, and runs the TV at the native 50 or 60 hz, and reduces the input lag to allow for a better experience while playing fast paced games."

If you had a "C" series, then I think you didn't have this feature, which sucks. Sorry also to everyone who's interested in black friday and not all this nerdom. Back to it!

Yeah, I could play God of War on it fine (great game). I'm assuming my Madden skills were diminished and I threw some extra picks with the lag, but the gameplay was fine. Baseball is SO dependent on timing, though, and it was impossible to play.

Yes, I played with every setting. I'm sure I could look up the model but it really isn't that important to me. But I am pretty sure google told me that every LCD and LED TV has lag. Some are worse than others, but it is part of the technology. Plasmas and DLP Projectors (what I have), do not have lag (or at least, it is measured in micro seconds).