Electric razor recommendations and shaving discussion

tittus

So I'm about 10 shaves in via DE. Some of the best shaves I've ever experienced. Shaving has become something I look forward to. I just bought a cheap start up kit from maggardrazors.com. Their M1 razor, Proraso Red tube cream, Vulfix pure badger brush, and I just ordered a huge blade sampler pack from Amazon.

First shave with Shark baldes was ok, no cuts. Second shave with Astra super stainless fucked my face up, I was putting too much pressure. I fucked up on my lower neck big time that day, haha it sucked. But since, I've only used Astras and I've had awesome shaves, just no pressure.

I'd like to upgrage my brush and razor, but I'm in no real hurry. I see people on /r/wickededge and they spend money on shaving like some of us do on records, its crazy.

Anybody that is curious about DE shaving, I highly reccomend it. If nothing else, you'll get a few hole punches on your man card.

I've been DE shaving for the past 4 years and haven't looked back. I use a vintage Gillette adjustable with feather blades and it's been the best shaves ever since I tried that combination. You don't have to spend that much because this tuff will last a long time. I have an Edwin Jagger brush that I use and it's been going string for 4 years. For those that are interested in a different way to shave definitely go with DE's! I can also attest to the better qaulity shaves you'll get!

I had some ingrown hairs. I don't know why, but occasionally it seems like a tight bundle of hairs will sprout from a single root, and it is always trouble when it happens.

Ended up using a combination of tweezer and a pin to get all the hairs out. Skin healed up and their is no mark. Now I have a bump on my neck in the spot, though. Feels like an M&M was snuck under my skin and the skin healed up over it.

Anyone had anything similar? WTF am I supposed to do? See a Doc? Been a couple of weeks. Was thinking it was just something that would go away but no dice.

I belong to dollar shave club. They're not the greatest razors in the world, but I find them to do a fine job. It's nice and convenient to have them delivered on a monthly or bi-monthly basis. I'm on the $7 for four sets of blades every other month plan, I'm not sure how good of a deal it is, but they won me over with their marketing and convenience.

They just rebrand dorco razors and blades, so it's cheaper to buy straight from them. I just switched and I really don't like them. The blades are cheap and miss a ton of stubble. It was a hell of a lot cheaper them gillette refills though. ($18 got me the razor and 25 blades).

i did the double blade dollar shave club for a few months. no complaints at all. super cheap, and just as good as anything else i've ever used.

i still get them in the mail every month, but i've been growing a beard for about 5 weeks now, so i'll have a ton leftover if / when i start shaving again.

Anybody have any recommendations for a body hair trimmer that's not going to make it look like I actually sheared myself? I'm just not happy with the thickness of the hair

I'm not gonna be much help but I just wanted to say that I'm a hairy ass motherfucker. Like literally, hair all over my ass, back, legs, chest, and face. I used to trim, shave, and use nair. I eventually just gave up and accepted it. I've been happier that way. My girl likes it it too haha it says it keeps her warm.

I'm not gonna be much help but I just wanted to say that I'm a hairy ass motherfucker. Like literally, hair all over my ass, back, legs, chest, and face. I used to trim, shave, and use nair. I eventually just gave up and accepted it. I've been happier that way. My girl likes it it too haha it says it keeps her warm.

Oops hahah. Meant to put something there

I just have a tough time accepting it. I'm pretty hairy, too. Plus, I want to get more tattoos and I don't like that it covers them hahaha

Your avatar pretty much sums up what I am haha

A bear.

It was easier when I met my girl to accept it because she digs the hairyness. I completely understand your situation though. I'm not really into tattoos but I can see how that can be problematic if you want to display them properly.

This thread's been extremely fucking helpful. Been considering acquiring some clippers so I don't shave down to the skin. I have super sensitive skin and usually only shave once a week (if that, and I'm very fortunate for that) with a manually gilette 5-razor toy, and it usually does a pretty good job, but I get cut way easily and scruff is fine for me. Electric razors always frightened me, and I've always wanted to learn how to use one, but my father never taught me.

I hate you papa :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a safety razor a few weeks back and have finally started to get used to it.  I literally had to learn to shave again with the help of a few YouTube videos.  Anyone master one of these things yet?

I watched Youtube videos when I bought my first safety razor as well (I think it was this guy mainly). If you like that Shaving Factory razor you have, I would highly suggest investing in a Merkur, it's a world of difference. 

So I bought a safety razor a few weeks back and have finally started to get used to it.  I literally had to learn to shave again with the help of a few YouTube videos.  Anyone master one of these things yet?

Yessir.  Merkur safety razor, nice badger hair brush, proraso green shaving soap.

No lie, I thought this "art of shaving" stuff was BS (note, my set is not art of shaving, but I meant the idea), but, Safety razor and shaving soap and brush is fucking awesome.  Much closer and cleaner shave. I used to hate shaving because I would bleed all over the place and have the worst time and always broke out after shaving. 

Since making the switch, I still don't love shaving because it's an annoying use of time for the most part, but, my face is much cleaner and the shave is much closer.

Went on vacation a few weeks after I really got into it, and brought my old gilette mach 5. It was awful. I felt like a kid in highschool shaving for the first time all over again.

Never look back.

I watched Youtube videos when I bought my first safety razor as well (I think it was this guy mainly). If you like that Shaving Factory razor you have, I would highly suggest investing in a Merkur, it's a world of difference. 

That is the brand that I bought.  My problem so far is probably associated with me applying too much pressure so I have been trying new techniques for holding the razor to minimize this problem.

Yessir.  Merkur safety razor, nice badger hair brush, proraso green shaving soap.

No lie, I thought this "art of shaving" stuff was BS (note, my set is not art of shaving, but I meant the idea), but, Safety razor and shaving soap and brush is fucking awesome.  Much closer and cleaner shave. I used to hate shaving because I would bleed all over the place and have the worst time and always broke out after shaving. 

Since making the switch, I still don't love shaving because it's an annoying use of time for the most part, but, my face is much cleaner and the shave is much closer.

Went on vacation a few weeks after I really got into it, and brought my old gilette mach 5. It was awful. I felt like a kid in highschool shaving for the first time all over again.

Never look back.

That is awesome.  I switched to the badger brush and soap about a year ago and love both.

That is the brand that I bought.  My problem so far is probably associated with me applying too much pressure so I have been trying new techniques for holding the razor to minimize this problem.

Yeah, the idea is to let the weight of the razor do the work. Try holding your razor at a 45 degree angle using small strokes and make sure your face isn't drying out.

Has anyone here used Lucky Tiger liquid shave cream? I'm thinking of gifting myself some for Christmas, I've heard good things.

Yeah, the idea is to let the weight of the razor do the work. Try holding your razor at a 45 degree angle using small strokes and make sure your face isn't drying out.

Has anyone here used Lucky Tiger liquid shave cream? I'm thinking of gifting myself some for Christmas, I've heard good things.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get it a go when I shave next.  You'll have to let us know how the lucky tiger goes.

I always wonder why my dad could just use disposable razors all the time and shave daily and not have skin irritation like I do.

I shave Sunday nights. I typically have all my meetings at the beginning of the week. If I try to shave on Wednesday or Thursday, even though I clearly have a substantial hair growth, my neck is read and irritated for a couple days.

I get ingrown hairs like a mofo all the time. But I actually enjoy getting tweezers and ripping them out. Maybe I have trichotillomania.

I always wonder why my dad could just use disposable razors all the time and shave daily and not have skin irritation like I do.

I shave Sunday nights. I typically have all my meetings at the beginning of the week. If I try to shave on Wednesday or Thursday, even though I clearly have a substantial hair growth, my neck is read and irritated for a couple days.

I get ingrown hairs like a mofo all the time. But I actually enjoy getting tweezers and ripping them out. Maybe I have trichotillomania.

In my job we have to shave every day that we work which is why I am on a never ending quest to get a better and less irritated shave.