Help removing a virus from my computer

Hey

So something from unblock-us . com keeps showing up when i try to access certain webpages.

I have googled how to get rid of it but the only things I seem to find are support pages from the same webpage.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of this/point me in the right direction?

If malware bytes doesn't work, back up all your data, wipe the hard drive, and reinstall Windows (assuming Windows OS).

1) Might be necessary for a really nasty virus if the anti-virus / anti-malware stuff fails and

2) Your computer will run faster without all the unnecessary programs, processes, registry entries, etc that Windows tends to pick up over time.

It's really an easy process.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, I was on vacation and didnt get a chance to try anything new till last night.

1 problem. Is there anyway to do it without reinstalling my OS. I moved to Germany and my disks are at home.

I downloaded Clamxav and protectmac antivirus and both came up with nothing.

Any other suggestions.

I also have an old external hard drive from my pc. But now use a mac. Is there a way to clear all my pc stuff off the external and use it now for my mac to back stuff up.

http://www.cleanallvirus.com/solved-how-to-remove-unblock-us-com-unblock-us-com-removal/

You could try the manual removal. According to that link, unblock-us actually redirects google search traffic when you search for certain things. It also seems to be very nasty, looking for ways to get into your financial transactions (so don't do any over that computer right now!). I really don't even know how legit that website is or if it is created as a method to sell an antivirus software. This bug seems to be pretty new and isn't a lot when I search.

Site recommends spyware doctor. I dunno if that actually works or not. But the only way to be 100% sure that you get this, is reinstall the OS. If that just isn't an option, buy a premium antivirus software and don't cheap out with the free ones. Think of it just like if you had bugs in your home -- you pay whatever, nuke them, and get it over with. You don't try and figure out a way to do it for free and save $30. You don't want this to linger and reappear later, which is what the programs are designed to do when they get attacked by antivirus software.

A hard drive is a hard drive. You can partition an external just like an internal hard drive and use it for 2 different OS. Google should be able to bring up a walkthrough on this for your hard drive, maybe it is the same for all hard drives. Do not put that hard drive into the infected computer, though. Some of these viruses have gotten good at spreading through USB connections.

Yes. It will be as if you just started the computer up for the first time.

What I am not clear on is if you use an automated system backup, if there is any chance of the virus being transferred back onto the computer when you reinstall your files. As I said in last post, some of them can automatically hide themselves on USB drives. The people creating these things are fuckfaces but they aren't stupid and do whatever they can to get you infected and then keep you infected. Given the limited info on this virus out there so far, I'm not sure you are going to be able to do anything but try. Or buy the best antivirus program you can get.

You could buy online cloud storage and save your most important files on there.

I dunno. See if someone else has a better idea before you go erasing your hard drive and reinstalling. Try the manual removal process suggested in that link I posted. It can't hurt. And watch your financial statements for goofy activity.

Read both of these:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=928671

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9400648&postcount=4

I'm not a mac guy. Try out some of the ideas, see what works. Post here if there are questions, but if you are still having problems, also post on that website with a description and screenshot. Someone will be able to figure it out.