See but, you guys all seemed to breeze through high school. I mean, Eric seems to be pretty well off and I don't know his life, so I can't say that he went through anything I did. But my high school experience was absolutely 0 like what you guys have listed. I don't think it's really fair to write him off completely.

I'm sorry but I will always get really passionate about high school and go off about how teenage problems do not deserve to be ignored because they are "not as important" as adult issues. No one does anything. No one cares and that's so damn hard to feel some of the things you do and then have them be considered invalid.

All in all, I don't think adult hood and being a teenager can ever be compared. Being an adult is probably worlds harder but it's harder in such a different way.

I didn't breeze though it. I barely passed my first two years. I was 98 pounds. Also, as a non white kid at a rural Kansas HS? Yeah. Still better than adulthood.

Just a fresh batch of pink lemonade moonshine from my connect. About to watch XMEN totally SRUNK

that's my other option. gots dat strawburry shine.

I didn't breeze though it. I barely passed my first two years. I was 98 pounds. Also, as a non white kid at a rural Kansas HS? Yeah. Still better than adulthood.

I'm only 3 years out of high school, so maybe my experiences aren't valid enough to judge. But nothing that has happened to me in my adult life, including being stranded across the country with only 46 cents to my name, brings me to tears the way talking about high school does.

and that's fine. We all have different experiences both now and in our past, but it's important to not dismiss others...even if they are younger and don't seem to 'get it' because you never know what is actually going on in someone else's life.

Oh. Yeah, and don't fuck around at college. I did and it almost put me in debt, but I dropped out and made them give me my money back/started over at community college. It has a stigma to it for whatever reason, but it'll save you a ton of money in the end and you can just transfer to a nice college and end up with the same degree as someone who paid twice as much as you.

Community College is high school with ash trays.

The education level is a joke that's why.

My CC credits were counted at the 4 year school I went to, but those credits were not counted towards any of my required curriculum.

That was a harsh reality to face haha

and that's fine. We all have different experiences both now and in our past, but it's important to not dismiss others...even if they are younger and don't seem to 'get it' because you never know what is actually going on in someone else's life.

This.

Eric, there is nothing more that I want you to learn than that you don't know everything and never will.  None of us will.  But the second lesson you need to learn is that education is not empty or "stupid."  You should use your words more precisely and accurately.

While high school does have its challenges in that it tests your motivation, time management, confidence, and social skills, these tests are only more magnified when you live on your own, pay your own way, and have to answer to others based upon your intelligence, character, and work ethic. You have a modicum of the responsibility you will soon be required to shoulder. To use your word earlier, adulthood and the responsibility that comes with it is only more cumbersome. And if you think now is the hardest time in your life, you are either setting yourself up for failing to reach your potential or setting yourself up for a painful disappointment in the way you think your future was supposed to be.

I think you need to read more and try to educate yourself more so to prepare yourself for the future.

There's a difference in a healthy challenge and stressing kids out until they cry, over unnecessary work that we're really only learning to test and forget. I do understand you get the summer off, but if you want to go somewhere you'll have to work durring the summer weather it be study or summer classes, school is not easy, and maybe it's because I'm on the AP track, I know this was my choice in a way but it wasn't it was society's, I'm doing this for college I don't even want to fucking go to college but the only way to get ahead in life is college, and I know I won't be able to handle the real world, but fuck it what ever happens happens. If all else fails I'll marry someone rich who will die soon or become famous some how.

the work is only unnecessary with that approach. if i'd seen value in what was presented to me, perhaps i actually would have gotten something out of my FREE education.

Too many comments to reply to this.

Not dismissing his life since I'm old and do t get it.

That's the summary of the rant in my head.

i think i share your view, but i get the impression that you had it harder.

i was just an inexplicable outcast who was bullied by pretty much everyone- including some of my dearest friends. my entire school assumed me to be a wicked homo. i was never all that good at any of the sports i played. and as i've been saying in here, my grades were apathetic shit.

and in highschool, i developed serious procrastination issues, where finishing an assignment tonight was never nearly as appealing as the 10% docking that i'd take for every day it was late.

Yeah, my grades really started suffering but I think it was the bullying that did me in. You just get to a point where you can't care about anything or you'll break and it's really scary. It's honestly a miracle that I graduated high school.

I share your sentiments about all of the above, Ry. I just don't think I could go back. I actually am obligated to go to some sort of party thing on the 1st that a bunch of kids I graduated with are going to. I've been having super bad anxiety fits every time I think about it for too long. 

Eric, there is nothing more that I want you to learn than that you don't know everything and never will. None of us will. But the second lesson you need to learn is that education is not empty or "stupid." You should use your words more precisely and accurately.

While high school does have its challenges in that it tests your motivation, time management, confidence, and social skills, these tests are only more magnified when you live on your own, pay your own way, and have to answer to others based upon your intelligence, character, and work ethic. You have a modicum of the responsibility you will soon be required to shoulder. To use your word earlier, adulthood and the responsibility that comes with it is only more cumbersome. And if you think now is the hardest time in your life, you are either setting yourself up for failing to reach your potential or setting yourself up for a painful disappointment in the way you think your future was supposed to be.

I think you need to read more and try to educate yourself more so to prepare yourself for the future.

I have a girl crush on Lara.

Yeah, my grades really started suffering but I think it was the bullying that did me in. You just get to a point where you can't care about anything or you'll break and it's really scary. It's honestly a miracle that I graduated high school.

I share your sentiments about all of the above, Ry. I just don't think I could go back. I actually am obligated to go to some sort of party thing on the 1st that a bunch of kids I graduated with are going to. I've been having super bad anxiety fits every time I think about it for too long.

How are you obligated to go?

How are you obligated to go?

I guess obligated is a strong word to use. But out of my graduating class there were 3 people who I didn't mind once all was said and done. Two of those people I still talk to here and there. Well, the one girl just moved back from Maryland with her husband (?!?!?!!!!!) and every time she has tried to make plans with me since she's been back, I've been super busy. So she told me a month ago that she was doing something with her family for her 21st and wanted me to be there, I said yes because I hadn't been able to see her and it was the right thing to do. 

Well, I figured it was just a small family picnic thing with a few friends but she just made a Facebook event for it and a good chunk of our graduating class is invited. But not the other person I still associate with, of course. I'll probably end up in a corner with my phone plugged into the wall the entire night. Fuck associating with any of those asshats.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic