Ugh, family.

I've been ignoring my mom as much as possible the last few years. Any time I needed help with something she'd either refuse to help or act like helping was the biggest inconvenience in the world. Then she started talking down to me about my appearance and education (I dropped out 3/4 of the way to my degree). Last time I saw her she said a bunch of mean shit about my tattoos, hair, and clothes. Fuck that shit, I'm a grown ass man. I've yet to tell her, but if she's going to talk to me like that then I don't need her in my life.

Well I didn't get the job. Back to applying....

Sorry to hear about that.  Best of luck.  And hope Candice's elbow is doing better.

I'll be applying for a Coordinator position at my job this week.  I'm kind of curious if they actually opened up the position because of what I wrote in my Annual Self Review.  In it I questioned my long term future with the company due to lack of upward mobility in my current position.  So I'm cautiously optimistic.  It wouldn't be a ton extra money, but it'd help me break the $20 an hour barrier and it'd mean a bit bigger yearly raises.  More importantly it puts you in a much better position for Manager job openings down the line.  Not sure I'd ever want to become a Manager, but I'd like to put myself in position where it is a possibility.

Ugh, family.

I've been ignoring my mom as much as possible the last few years. Any time I needed help with something she'd either refuse to help or act like helping was the biggest inconvenience in the world. Then she started talking down to me about my appearance and education (I dropped out 3/4 of the way to my degree). Last time I saw her she said a bunch of mean shit about my tattoos, hair, and clothes. Fuck that shit, I'm a grown ass man. I've yet to tell her, but if she's going to talk to me like that then I don't need her in my life.

Ha, one of the reasons I've never gotten a tattoo is my mom would always say she'd kill herself if my brother or I ever got a tattoo, or if we dated a girl who had tattoos or dyed her hair.

I've reached a point in my life where I don't want to deal with her constant attempts at manipulation and always trying to play the martyr.

Ha, one of the reasons I've never gotten a tattoo is my mom would always say she'd kill herself if my brother or I ever got a tattoo, or if we dated a girl who had tattoos or dyed her hair.

I've reached a point in my life where I don't want to deal with her constant attempts at manipulation and always trying to play the martyr.

so basically...i'm your mom's worst nightmare ;)

My parents are the same. They were pissed when I got my ear pieced when I was 18. I used to care a bit about the tattoos and their opinions, but fuck I'll be 30 in a year so why do I care? They were angry when my sister got one, but they didn't end up caring much afterwards. They'll be happy when my arms are covered like I want here soon.

My parents are the same. They were pissed when I got my ear pieced when I was 18. I used to care a bit about the tattoos and their opinions, but fuck I'll be 30 in a year so why do I care? They were angry when my sister got one, but they didn't end up caring much afterwards. They'll be happy when my arms are covered like I want here soon.

I grew up being exactly what my mom wanted.  Even until I was 16-17 she was still running my life.  Shortly after that I learned to say fuck it and just kind of cut her out of my life.

I know I've bashed my family quite a bit today, but don't get me wrong I'd do anything for them.  Not really out of love, more out of social protocol.  

Pretty much.  My mom used to fake dry heaving and have a panic attack when she'd have someone show her their tattoo.

I've already said siblings are the worst, so I'll have to say parents are the worstest. 

wooooow that's just a really rude way to act towards anyone. i can't even really believe that an adult would behave that way. geez. 

my mom was fortunately pretty cool about me getting tattoos. she wasn't thrilled at the idea when i first mentioned it at like 17, but i think she was just worried that i was going to run out and get a butterfly/tribal lower back tattoo like my older sister. but i sat down and told her what i wanted to get and why and she knew i wasn't just making some rash teen decision. she actually really loved all of my tattoos (and hated all of my sister's haha). when i got my arm done, she really wanted to go to the shop with me, but said she didn't want to be the weird old lady hanging out at the tattoo parlor. she made me send her photos as soon as they finished though and was so excited about it. 

my dad's hardcore old school italian guy and his dad was a sailor and got a tattoo and "hated it for the rest of his life" so based on that, my dad has always been super anti-tattoos and felt like anyone who ever gets one is also doomed to a lifetime of regret. but i've even got him to come around a bit. when he saw my arm, his response was, "you know i don't like tattoos. but that is a very nice tattoo". and that was pretty much the best thing he could've ever said to me. 

i guess i've been lucky. even if they weren't relatively chill about it, i'm still an adult and will do what i want. a long time ago, i gave up hiding things from my parents and just living my life and being honest with them.

Parents and tattoos/piercings. Ha! Great  discussion.

My parents being old-school Latinos that they are used to think that the only people who got tattoos were criminals (gangbangers) and bikers.

And they...more my father than anyone...used to think that if you were a guy with earrings, then automatically you must be gay.

Needless to say they flipped their shit when I came home from my first year of college with a tattoo and piercings.

My parents aren't toxic, just "want the best for you" kinda thing. Until my early 20's I still tried to do what they wanted, but have given up. The tattoo thing is just something that was always sorta in the back of my mind on it though. I need to get on it though. I tell myself to drive to the shop every week, then don't.

My parents aren't toxic, just "want the best for you" kinda thing. Until my early 20's I still tried to do what they wanted, but have given up. The tattoo thing is just something that was always sorta in the back of my mind on it though. I need to get on it though. I tell myself to drive to the shop every week, then don't.

The only reason I haven't gotten a tattoo yet is I lack any creativity.  I know I'll get song lyrics with and image, but  I can never come up with the perfect tattoo.  

For a while I was going to get a tattoo inspired by Frank Turners Photosynthesis.  Lately I've been wanting to go with a Two Cow Garage or Micah Schnabel inspired tattoo.  Schnabels song More Drugs is something that is about the perfect song.  I'm trying to figure out how I could turn that into a tattoo I want.  

Why would you date a girl without tattoos or dyed hair? That's just a poor life decision.

My mom once said something about my horrible HORRIBLE high school girlfriend like "She was such a nice girl. Why don't you date nice girls anymore?" And that was the only time I told my mom to shut the fuck up.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic