Evening darlings,

I have a question about uploading torrents - if any of you have had experience mind helping me out? Specifically, in regards to 24-bit vs 16-bit FLAC

What's the question?

What's the question?

I guess I'm mostly just confused - I put up an album after following all the steps for uploading, but someone commented asking what the problem was with the file that caused it to be 700MB. Is it common practice to somehow downgrade FLAC from 24-bit to 16-bit? For reference, I took files directly downloaded in FLAC and uploaded them the way they came, after checking the transcode for each to ensure the quality.

Does that question even make sense?

I'm sorry I'm a complete green-thumb to this, just honestly curious if I messed something up.

I guess I'm mostly just confused - I put up an album after following all the steps for uploading, but someone commented asking what the problem was with the file that caused it to be 700MB. Is it common practice to somehow downgrade FLAC from 24-bit to 16-bit? For reference, I took files directly downloaded in FLAC and uploaded them the way they came, after checking the transcode for each to ensure the quality.

Does that question even make sense?

I'm sorry I'm a complete green-thumb to this, just honestly curious if I messed something up.

Well, the file size all depends on the album, but 16bit are usually around 300mb, and 24bit usually around 700mb and up. It varies so much. I have some 24bit albums that are around 1gig and one that's 3.5gig. They are questioning whether it's 24bit just by the file size? I don't see why it would compress it unless you purposely did that. Just rely on the transcode, and not dumb people's comments.

You can downsample it to 16 bit, but there is no point unless the device you are playing on does not support it. 24 bit is better.

Edit: I was the one who pointed out it was 24 bit, btw. You should tag it 24 bit on the upload so people know.

I only bother with 24bit if it's a new remaster or an album I fucking adore. Most people can't hear the difference anyway. Haha.

Well, the new Kokomo codes are 24/44.1, so no point in downsampling the source, people can do it themselves if they want. I usually always leave the source as it, unless I'm doing lossless to lossy for my phone.

Edit: Yeah, you usually can't hear the difference in 24/16 bit with a 44.1 samplerate. High bit and samplerate is usually when a good master shines.

You can downsample it to 16 bit, but there is no point unless the device you are playing on does not support it. 24 bit is better.

Edit: I was the one who pointed out it was 24 bit, btw. You should tag it 24 bit on the upload so people know.

Thanks for letting me know, Thomas! It was my first upload, and I felt so embarrassed switching up the 320/v0 earlier that I was afraid of making any more mistakes.

I'll change it now if I can.

I'll probably convert it to 16bit and upload it; help fix my ratio.

Yeah, mine got a little fucked up lately. I'm still way over my limit, but I like being over 1.0.

I seem to have been able to, if that counts for anything. Guess I'll deal with the wrath later if it comes

I messed up one of my first flac uploads and it was just removed and they sent me a message with why it was removed. I fixed it and reupped it they're pretty cool about it unless you keep upping shitty rips. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic