Old Turntable

I've been using the same setup for awhile now, not too expensive at all but it sounds great.  It's mostly used gear, a Technics receiver, Technics cassette deck both purchased used, and an RCA turntable from Best Buy about 4-5 years ago, and floor speakers bought off of Craigslist for $20 a couple of weeks ago.  It may not sound like a multi-thousand dollar setup, but it sounds pretty damn good to me.  

I have one of those setups where its a turntable attached to a 3 disc changer and a double tape deck. Now that I think about it I think I got this for Christmas 1998. It has moved with me about 6 times and still works fine.

That's rad, some friends of mine were making fun of me the other day because one of them gave me a CD and my response was "I don't own a CD player", I really should fix that. 

I spin on a 1960's radio/turntable living room dresser with a built in speaker on each side. It's literally a massive piece of furniture and my wife absolutely hates it. I grabbed it for $40 at a thrift store about 5 years ago.

Most of these were tube integrated amps too. Some of them are nice sounding.

I have always wanted one of those furniture units. I think if I came home with one my wife would hate it too. Haha. Have you ever had to replace the needle on it? I can imagine replacement parts for it can be super hard to find.

As of right now I haven't replaced it but when I bought it the inside flips up and holds the turntable and sitting inside was a brand new needle just waiting to be switched out! The sound is fantastic actually and I was pretty surprised by its working condition when I brought it home.

So, who on here does not have a super expensive setup? I have been using the same Aiwa system since it was bought for me over 10 years ago. Still works fine and sounds great. Anyone else in the same boat?

I used to have one of those. My late great grandmother bought me one in 2000 for Christmas and it lasted for about 11 years or so. The CD player gave out about 8 years in, but the turntable portion still worked. Once I got the AT-LP120 I threw out the whole setup minus the turntable which I gave to my dad because he found a bunch of records he wanted to play again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Meh, he does have his nose stuck up in the air a bit, but he's never really bothered me.

I will say I ran into the most awesome Vinyl nerd ever at Half Priced Books.  I'm digging through the vinyl when a couple of guys walk up and are surprised by seeing vinyl.  They then get into a conversation and are talking about old Beatles records they have somewhere and they should dust off the old record player and give them a listen. 

Then a guy who was a few feet away flips out on them.  He goes on to tell them how they will destroy the records and that really if you have records like that the only way should play them is if you a $5000 record player.  Anything else and you'll just destroy the records.  He goes on to talk about his system is $30,000.  I wanted to punch him in his throat, but was more entertained by his pompus.

He was the epitome of douchebaggery.  Complete with ascot and beret.

He's a really stuck up snob. I think I blocked his posts.

Hahaha burn.

$30,000 for a system. Thats insane. I also think its funny a guy at a place called Half Priced Books tried to flex nuts on anyone.

I think my system sounds fine. I will not be upgrading until it completely breaks down.

My BFF has a $30,000+ system, and probably over $100,000 worth of systems in his house. But he owns an audio company so you know how that goes. I can say that its one of the best setups I've ever heard. Full McIntosh, Avid turntable, and Tyler Acoustics speakers (That 5'8" and 170lbs each).

He's a really stuck up snob. I think I blocked his posts.

I almost did but have given him another shot since he can provide some good info here and there which is worth my time to read.

There are a lot of audiophiles that are kind of stuck up and I dont understand why? Its just sound, it's not like a life oracle is giving out some privileged "meaning of life" insights or anything (that would actually be the content of some music, insert Bob Dylan here, haha). Though I guess the same can be said about a lot of people who just really really really get involved in their little niches.

I used to have a crappy system I used for around 10 years. It was an all in one 2 tape, eq, i guess that was it... Besides an amp/preamp.(why was it as large as it was?). The tape player didn't even have the feature where it changes direction and plays the second side. The speakers had attached wire terminated with RCA plugs. And the main unit had a built in bass boost speaker that made everything sound muddier. The only reason I thought it was OK was because I didn't know better. But I knew it didn't sound great. Then I moved up to a Technics SX-9xx(don't remember) Receiver I bought new for $350 and two HUGE JBL floorstanding speakers that were cosmetically damaged but still worked fine open box at Best Buy for $100 each (clearance price was $400 each). These were big purchases for me at the time but they were completely worth it as they made my crap all in one sound like a toy. I used the second system for 7-8 years until I finally got my life in order and really back in to music and audio. It's been a long road.

I guess my point is to assure people that some of my snarky comments come from experience. I've been there.