Attn: My Hardcore Brethren

I've been reorganizing my crates as I'm selling stuff and this means listening to some stuff t hat has been buried for 10+ years.

I plan to put up some 90s suggestions.

I presume all of you know of the mighty Chokehold. I have been spinning Content With Dying on repeat for three days after forgetting how great this LP is. More to come.

Many good ones in there jhook. Been playing the Groundwork lp a lot. Amazing LP and available cheap out there. Acme is another of my all time favs. Spinning a lot of Culture lately. Im trying to dig a couple lesser knows for this thread but as always if you don't have Snapcases Lookinglasself you are missing out. Goodness that album shreds my turntable every time.

Gotta look at my stacks but a few others are taking me way back and making me wonder why i havent been pulling them for years.

And at some point we must discuss the movement i miss the most : the mid 90s female fronted hardcore crossover bands. Copper, Ashes, Junction, Samuel...i will post some of those up so you can all have your minds blown. Haha.

What I miss the most is the DIY aesthetics of those days. It was so obviously independently done - friends helping friends. I lament the advent of the Pirates model where a one stop shop has made it all so easy and dare i say cookie cutter. There was a hand made artistic touch to the way these things were done for so long and it was an integral part of the community.

Qualified agreement. I like that bands are more accessible. No one wants music to exist in a vacuum. I have frequently lamented the breakdown of DIY and scenes however. Im not into a ton of the Philly stuff coming out but i love how its materialized from a community. NJ is Ina good cycle right now. I really don't know. Maybe its more appealing for kids to find HC on th Internet than risk getting their head kicked in by a pseudo gang. I think the violence movement hurt the genre badly. I even had enough of it and stopped going and i was friends with many of these folks.

Still, i have some good stuff to share. The Junction "Swingset" lp is essential in my opinion. Ill find a link to that next.

Couldn't agree more gents.

I try to not fall into that cyber trap by only listening to physical (as in non-streaming) media whenever possible. Granted, I am probably missing out on lots of good stuff, but that's going to happen either way imho.

I would be liar if I said I have never used the internet to find a show,band, etc. I just miss the days of buying a record based off of cover art, label, thank you lists or T-shirts in a photo. I miss buying shitty copy and paste photocopied zines. I miss flyers everywhere. I miss random shows where the flyer said punk or hardcore so I went based on that. I miss making friends by seeing the same people at shows or randomly walking up to someone because they were wearing a cool shirt.

I just feel like nowadays you can just create a profile and order everything on the internet. The sense of community is almost gone. The feeling that you have met some losers or outcasts just like you is gone and its a bummer.

*End rant* haha

I think everybody in this discussion is a few years older than me. I grew up on metal, thrash, and metalcore. I crossed over to hardcore and punk during high school I'd say, so I can't relate to some of the stuff you guys are talking about. I still think all the stuff Jhook is talking about still exists, I just think its less prominent now. I still see a strong community in Columbus, the diy ethic, and friendly people. Record shops are going strong, I still see flyers and the occasional zine for sale. It's out there, you just have to dig a little deeper I guess.

I'm going to rant about something here... When I started going to shows at about 13-14 or so, I met a few people ,all were older than me and we became show pals. See them at the shows we're friends, but they were older and went and partied afterwards while my mom picked me up. However, for the most part I didn't know anybody and usually enjoyed shows alone.

I fell off the show train for a while and moved away for a few years. Now in the present, I know nobody at shows. It fucking sucks, and keeps me from traveling to Cleveland and Cinci for awesome line ups. It's starting to wear on me standing alone, watching the bands alone, sitting at the bar alone, smoke a cig alone. I see so many of the same people all the fucking time and it sucks. I think its because 1. I'm introverted as hell and 2. I'm not exactly from the city, just outside and I grew up in a rural area. It's just where I'm from, I can see a difference between myself, and the other people there. There are a very few acquaintances I have where we chat it up very briefly then they go hang with the hundred people inside, its like everybody knows everybody. Even talking to them for a brief moment I can tell that I'm different, its the mentality or something. I guess I'm not punk, but I'm stuck in the music. Basically I have no friends. Ok I think I'm done. 

I know all of that exists now but it is no where near what it was "back in the day". I am really not that old (31) I started getting involved when I was 14, so in punk years I am about 90 years old haha. The issue now is that the scene has morphed into what it used to stand against its a popularity contest.The internet lets people build up a character of themselves. Then that character automatically has friends and seen as "cool". When I was young and you saw another like minded person you approached then and chatted a bit. My closest friends now come from that time.

I went to find a stream or anything relating to Junction and couldn't. I know Ben from Junction went on to Delta 72 and 85 other bands. 

Anyway, if anyone has a lead on a DL or anything from this band and is a fan of female fronted HC / Post-HC then share it. Freaking love this band - especially the song "Ivy". Anyway, it's like they've just disappeared. Pretty sad. 

Many good ones in there jhook. Been playing the Groundwork lp a lot. Amazing LP and available cheap out there. Acme is another of my all time favs. Spinning a lot of Culture lately. Im trying to dig a couple lesser knows for this thread but as always if you don't have Snapcases Lookinglasself you are missing out. Goodness that album shreds my turntable every time.

Gotta look at my stacks but a few others are taking me way back and making me wonder why i havent been pulling them for years.

Culture!  Snapcase!  YES!!! 

I randomly saw Culture in 1994? in my home town, Edinboro.  I was 13, they played at an arcade in my town with Abnegation and someome else.  A brawl broke out, someone threw a cue ball and cracked someones head open.  unreal.  maybe 10 years later I booked a band from SLC called Form of Rocket, their drummer was in Culture and we talked about that show. 

Saw snapcase a TON of time thanks to the whole Erie/Buffalo scene party going on with Brothers Keeper/Abnegation/Buried Alive/Slugfest/Snapcase love fest going on.  I swear Snapcase played Erie every couple months for like two years straight.